Baby BMW Forum banner

2010 E82 125i *Pic Heavy*

23K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  kibriya 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm James

I've been tempted for a 1er for a while now and picked up a 2010 Alpineweiss 125i coupe yesterday after selling my Subaru Impreza last weekend.

I was originally looking at 120d's and 123d's but after seeing and driving the 125i, the heart ruled the head and I walked away with the keys :D

My car history is long and varied considering I've only been driving for 4 years!

I've only a few pics of the 1er so far as it needs a good clean

Excuse the misplaced M badge, since I've only had the car a day or so, its on my list of things to do.

The main reason I went for this car was that it was very well specced. The options list is like an essay! Especially the Professional CIC Sat Nav. Though I'm still getting to grips with the system.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice one looks awesome and congratulations on a great purchase. Plenty to be done should you wish to do so.

Firstly - get that badge gone - I'm sure you're on that lol
Secondly - get rid of run flats.
Thirdly - p torque remap from 215 to 260+bhp.

Actually hundreds of mods to be done depending on your needs from free ones (camber pin mod) to full exhaust or suspension upgrades (£2K+)

Look forward to seeing more pics and mods you may have planned.

If you live in or around London I have the Carly app that can do certain coding (alarm chirp, folding mirrors, digital speedo, and hundreds of other little things)

Anyway welcome and enjoy.

2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net

#3 ·
Hey man, thanks for the kind words,

Got the badge off last night. It had obviously been on for a while as there was stuff growing behind it!

Gave the car a quick clean last night and noticed that the paint has a lot of contamination in it. Don't think I've ever seen so much on a car before! Perhaps because the car is white and it shows it up more maybe?

Looking at changing to Continental ContiSportContact 5's I think, I've had these before on the WRX and they were great tyres! Guessing without the run flats, a tyre inflator and a can of tyre weld is a good idea though?

The car sits really well as it is at the moment. Though I suspect the car was previously on aftermarket suspension and wheels as all the arches look to have been slightly rolled and the tracking is slightly out.

Plans for the future so far are:

- A proper valet, the car is still filthy!
- Contisportcontact 5's all round
- New discs and pads all round (my discs have pretty bad scoring all round and a pronounced lip)
- Blackline rear clusters (and possibly facelift front lights)
- Midpipe resonator delete
- Drive the car... a lot!

I'm going to Germany in it at the start of July so need to get it prepped before that.

I'm up in Yorkshire unfortunately, might be a bit of a trip! Nice to see another 125i E82, looks like they are rarer than I first thought! :D

#4 ·
Nice machine, pleased to hear the badge is gone! :thumbs: Korrosol is a great decontaminator, and even smells reasonable (all things considered).

I think I'd be starting with valeting the steering wheel personally, they're matte charcoal when new, looks like a few layers of finger grease on there!

Contisport 5's always review well, 225/40/18 92Y for the front and 255/35/18 94Y rear. They'll probably need an extra couple of psi in each corner over Runcrap pressures. Yes, get yourself a (large) can or two of Tyreweld, or a Mobility Kit for contingency.

If you're renewing the front brakes, I'd consider upgrading to 123d/130i spec. You keep your calipers, but space them out a little further with the longer carriers. Bigger discs completes the package. All BMW OEM, bolts on in seconds, and you don't even need to bleed anything. :)

Don't forget that P Torque remap, well worth the trip! :D

#5 ·
Thanks man! I've already attacked the leather on the steering wheel with cleaning wipes and leather feed, its come up a lot better since the layer of filth has been removed. I was a little concerned about how shiny the wheel was when I bought the car, but I got a fair chunk knocked off the asking price so I'm pretty happy :)

More pics on the way this weekend once I give it a proper clean, the level of dirt is embarrassing at the moment :redface:

With regards to the bigger discs, is it just the caliper carriers that need changing to fit bigger discs or is anything else needed? I'm assuming if I got carriers from a 135i then the 330mm discs would fit right on?

Tempted by the remap, but I think it'll be further down the road for me. Coming from a WRX, the power delivery is totally different. The 3 litre six pot is totally happy to bumble along at about 1k-1.5k rpm. With the 6 speed manual, it feels like the gears could go on forever too. In the WRX, it needed to be kept over 2K rpm all the time or it would just bog down. Looks like there's no replacement for displacement :lol2:

#6 ·
The caliper carriers and disc diameters are the only difference between 125i and 130i. Same calipers and pads. 130i carriers can be bought from breakers for peanuts, common on lots of 3ers, as well as the 123d/130i.

A full 135i 6 pot conversion is bolt on + bleed (338mm), as are M135i 4 pots (340mm), but both of those are adding quite a chunk of cost.

#9 ·
So, I put my VIN into an online VIN Decoder. Here are the results:

1CA Selection Relevant Vehicles
1CB CO2 Content
1CD Brake Energy Regeneration
2MR M Alloy Wheels Doublespoke 261M
2PA Locking Wheel Bolts
230 EU Specific Additional Equipment
249 Multi-function Steering Wheel
258 Runflat Tyres
302 Alarm System
337 M Sport Package
4B3 Aluminium Interior Trim
420 Sun Protection Glazing
423 Velour Floor Mats
428 Warning Triangle
430 Auto Dimming Wing Mirrors
431 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
441 Smokers Pack
470 Child Seat Isofix
473 Front Armrest
481 Front Sports Seats
493 Storage Compartment Package
494 Front Heated Seats
5DC Folding Rear Headrests
502 Headlight Washing System
508 Park Distance Control
521 Rain Sensor
522 Xenon Lights
534 Automatic Air Conditioning
563 Lights Package
6AA BMW Teleservices
6AB Control Teleservices
6FL USB/Audio Interface
6VC Control Combox
609 Navigation System Professional
612 BMW Assist
615 Extended BMW Online Information
616 BMW Online
620 Voice Input System
633 Business Mobile Phone Preperation/ Bluetooth Interface
698 Area code 2
704 M Sport Suspension
710 M Sport Leather Steering Wheel
715 M Sport Aerodynamics Package
760 Individual Shadow Line Pack
775 Individual Anthracite Roof Lining
8SC Country spec. release of teleservice
8SM Vin Visible from outside
8SP Cop Control
8S2 Coding of Alarm Signal
8S3 Auto Lock when Driving away
8TG Anti-theft System
8TL Daytime Running Lights Front and Rear
8TN Selectable Daytime Running Lights
812 England Version
850 Add Fuel Tank Filling for Export
863 Europe/Dealer Directory
877 Model Designation Deletion
880 English Onboard Documentation

That's quite a list of options, though I don't understand a few of them

#10 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help me with the "casting" number for the 130i Carriers, I'm trying to get these parts from Quarry Motors - They say the part number is not stamped on the carrier but if the have the number cast into the part they can make sure they send the right ones.

I'm looking to do the bigger brake disc mod to my 125i together with a remap to the 130i tune.

#11 ·
Hello Mick this is my brake upgrade so hopefully you can get the carriers I got as it looks like they are now £30 instead of the £50 I paid

Click the eBay link in my brake thread and should find exactly what I got

Here's the link -
2010 E82 125i modded by Babybmw.net

#12 ·
Thanks twenny. - Unfortunately the listing is finished so I guess its Quarry Motors - they have quoted £50

#13 ·
Well this thread is totally failing at being *Pic Heavy* at the moment, haven't even uploaded any decent photos of the car!

Slight update: though not the good kind unfortunately,

I was on the way to Dalby Forest and one of the roads was in the middle of being re-surfaced. Anyway long story short, a car coming the other way flicked what seemed to be a boulder straight into my windscreen. The result:

The chip was right in the line of sight on the drivers side, it was about 10mm across.

Got onto Autoglass' website and sorted an appointment to replace the screen.

Judging by the make on the old screen, I think it had already been replaced? Standard fitment is Pilkingtons is it not?

In other news, the 1er went for a 4 wheel alignment and 2 rear tyres last week. I opted for 245/35/18 92Y Dunlop Sportmaxx RT non-runflats for the rear. The fronts are still on runflat Dunlop SP sports but still have plenty of meat left. These will be replaced as necessary.

The garage I took it to refused to fit my first choice of tyres as they were "Mercedes fitment only" (Continental Contisport Contact 5 in 255/35/1:cool2: which sounds like a load of :censored2: to me.

#14 ·
Yes, Shatterpruf are aftermarket, Autoglass fitted one to my E87 (I think). A new screen is a lovely thing, so clear!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes, what a load of ****, those Conti's would have been fine. Those Dunlops are a good choice though, they should be nice and quiet too. :)

#15 ·
marco_polo said:
Yes, Shatterpruf are aftermarket, Autoglass fitted one to my E87 (I think). A new screen is a lovely thing, so clear!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes, what a load of sh*t, those Conti's would have been fine. Those Dunlops are a good choice though, they should be nice and quiet too. :)
Hi Jaybee89 nice car!! Welcome too!

That's crazy, never heard of a garage refusing to fit what a customer has requested, especially as I know they fit, personally I went for Michelin Pilot Sport 4's recently with the 255 rears and not had any issues even with people in the back.
Not sure about mixing non run flats and run flats though? No real reason it can't be done I suppose when you think about it.

On the windscreen front you could insist on a BMW screen if you wanted with the insurer, they do take a little longer to source though.

Look for to seeing more of the car and the mods you decide to install. :D

#16 ·
Right! Time for a couple of updated pictures:

The car is rather dirty now its towards the end of the working week but pictures are better than no pictures i guess :rollseyes:

The magic sponge worked wonders on the steering wheel, it literally came up like brand new!

Next its just prep for the Nurburgring trip in a couple of weeks time. Darklines and hopefully exhaust will be on the horizon once I'm back :D

#17 ·
Slight Update,

Just got back from the Nurburgring trip.

The car performed flawlessly, there were no issues throughout the weekend.

Notice the total lack of pictures from the ring: I suck at taking pictures I guess :lol2:

Rolling shots courtesy of one of the lads from the E36 forums

#18 ·
Right! Time for an Update!

Firstly, a big thanks to Andy (aka. Nimrod) for the shiny bits.

Pics:

The aforementioned shiny bits:

So we've got:

- Genuine BMW Performance carbon fibre ashtray trim and gear surround
- Dash trim and grab handle trims reupholstered in black alcantara suede by Royal Steering Wheels
- LED Side light bulbs

Before

After

Before

After

Safe to say, taking apart the centre console is an absolute pig! There must be approx 50 million wires plugging everything into each other, but after around an hour and a lot of cursing, the new trim was in! (Apologies for the rubbish picture quality, my phone died on me and my replacement has a lacklustre potato spec camera)

The new led bulbs fit straight in without any problems, the plastic trim of the back of the lights... not so much

#19 ·
Progress update;

A box. I like getting boxes.

Especially when this box contains Eibach Pro Street S coilovers! :spotman:

I ended up having them fitted at a mates garage and so far I'm very impressed.

Here's what the car looked like on return from the garage:

The rear was looking good (in my opinion) but the fronts looked like they needed to come down some more.

The following weekend I set about adjusting the ride height on the fronts:

The height was adjusted down around 20mm on the fronts vs the setting from the garage, and safe to say, I'm really pleased with the result. The fronts are now around half way down their adjustment range and there is zero rubbing front and rear. Colour me surprised!

I've had the coils on around 2 weeks now, so I'll get some more pics up of the settled height once the car has been aligned.

I'm really impressed with the way this set rides. I came from a Subaru Impreza with HSD Dualtech's and the difference is night and day! There is no preload or rebound adjustment on the pro street S, only height.

In the near future, the car is due for new tyres on the front, and there are gloss black kidneys on the way for the front. longer term, I fancy a set of wheels so any advice would be great :D

#22 ·
Small update.

I've had a resonator delete carried out by Longlife exhausts over in Leeds. Properly chuffed with the results!

Currently in the process of decontaminating the paintwork as the amount of fallout and tar in the paint is disgusting! After a new set of wheels in the near future too, just deciding which wheels first. Up to date pictures incoming in the near future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.