123d M Sport Le Mans Blue - Celtic Remap

Post pictures of your new baby in here. Please read the rules first though or your picture will be badly photo-chopped!!!!

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

123d M Sport Le Mans Blue - Celtic Remap

Post by Minter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi all, I'm quite new to this forum. I used it before I purchased this car - a great resource, so thank you!
Over the past 15yrs or so I've had almost every BMW model going from little wizz-bang 4-pots in the old 318iS, all the in-line sixes, V8's from the 3.0 through to the 4.4. So yeah, quite well-versed in the world of old-skool BMW's.

However, for a while now I've been considering stepping up to what I regard as the "Bangle era". I was pretty much set on getting a Z4 Coupe. I love the looks, especially the rear end! I test drove 4 examples, getting so close to sealing a deal but practicality was nagging at me. I loved the chassis, driveability and agility of them but sadly I had to give over.
I was quite tempted by an E90 330d M sport which came up for sale but it was silver and the thought of that was already bugging me. No offence to anyone with a silver car, it's just my last 5 BMWs have all been silver so I'm sure you can understand the need for some colour in my life!

Then I thought of a 1-Series. I'll be honest and say I used to think they were kind of odd looking, especially the Coupes', but in recent times they've really grown on me. I originally set out to find a 130i M Sport, however, I soon realised there isn't many out there to chose from. A few 123d's were cropping up in my searches, having thought about it I decided that actually, it's a car that makes a lot of sense for me. A lively little twin-turbo 2.0 litre 4-pot diesel which is set back in the engine bay nicely, in fact the front of the engine sits in-line with the suspension turrets which appeals as it echoes the great turn-in ability of the old 318iS'. I did set out to buy a Coupe but when this 3dr hatch came into my life it immediately appealed, probably down to the colour and wheel choice if I'm honest, however, the added practicality does make sense.

So I bought one and here's the non-exhaustive spec';

123d M Sport
6-Speed Manual
LeMans Blue
Full Black Leather M sport interior
Climate
Front and Rear PDC
Adaptive Headlights
Aux
18" Style 208 M Sport wheels with 8.5 rears
Bridgestone Potenza Run-Flats all round (For my sins :roll: )
Additional Storage + Aux

I apologise for the quality of the all the pics in this post, they're all iPhone and not the best tbh)

I took her on a camping trip to Wales over the weekend as I had a Stag-do on where I covered around 400 miles:

We had a little stop off at the 'New' Severn Bridge Crossing on the way home which I always find stunning when the sun is coming down 8)

The plan is to keep her clean and smart looking. I've already spoken to Jason @ BW Chiptune about a Re-map, these go from 204hp standard to 250-260hp when mapped by someone who knows their stuff so he'll be getting a visit at some point in the future. I may fit a set of Eibach springs one day too along with some spacers just to fill out the arches a bit more.
But something I will need to attend to probably before this year is out is the Run-Flat tyres :evil: At the very least the fronts as they're doing my nut in frankly. What a racket they make at anything over 30/40mph. It's the first car I've had where I've had them on - now I can see why they're hated so much.

I took it over to Russ' last Friday where he very kindly coded a few little extras in for me 8) So I now have the following:

Mirrors fold electrically when locked/unlocked (Which I love!)
Digital MPH reading in instrument binnacle display
Flashers flash when locking/unlocking
Xenon's slowly glow upon unlocking
+ A few others I can't recall

Russ couldn't leave my steering wheel shiny so got out some of his gear in an effort to return it back to a matt finish for me, in the dark I should add!! Thanks mate :lol: :thumb:

I've not taken any pics of the steering wheel afterwards yet, been too busy! I will look to get some decent pics of the car soon at the same time.

Last weekend I decided ti give the 1-er a handwash myself. The last time I actually washed any car must of been about 12 months ago :roll: :oops:

I find the first wash a great way to properly examine the condition/state of your car's bodywork and paint. I'm well aware the front bumper and bonnet have quite a lot of motorway stone chips but otherwise it's pretty straight.

So even though there's a half-decent shine to the paint on a sunny day here's the bare naked truth;

A bit flat, then.

I've got it booked in with my mate Russ who is a highly regarded Detailer/Paint Corrector, he should be performing his magic on it in the coming weeks however I just couldn't live with no beading in my life, so I had a fish around in the garage to see what I could find. I dug out a bottle of Autogylm Super Resin - That will do for now!

So whilst it's nothing amazing, it certainly looks better and now actually beads. I didn't go nuts as obviously it'll be going in for a full detail/correction soon. These images were actually taken this evening, a full week after;

I also found a bottle of Rain-X Car Glass cleaner in the garage so applied this all round, looks good to me;

Last edited by Minter on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 123d M Sport Le Mans Blue

Post by Minter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:23 pm

I've got an annoying sound coming from the front right of the car, usually between the speeds of 30-70 is where it's most prominent. The only way I can describe it is, rotational every half-a-second with a sound like "WOM WOM WOM WOM WOM". My first thoughts were something stuck on the tyre - checked and couldn't see anything. Then I figured it may be a sticky caliper - checked, not hot and wheel turns relatively freely. Wheel bearing then?

I've taken time out this last week amongst other things to visit my parents in Devon, which for me is a circa' 500-600 mile trip. Aside from the motorways I use the A303 for this run which makes for a good test of the car, seeing as I haven't had it long this was the first time for me to get more acquainted with it. Whilst down there I took the car into a garage I've used before with the assumption a new wheel bearing would be fitted (used to live down this neck of the woods myself). They inspected the car for me, no play in the wheel when shook, spins freely. After a spirited test drive, the conclusion is the wheel bearing may be on it's way, but the sound is most likely down to the front RFT, more likely the edges. (Running the OEM Bridgestones).

So whilst it's piece of mind the car is mechanically fine to drive, the noise is still present :evil: Inspired after reading Dino's 135i Journal several times I've come to the conclusion I'm going to ditch the RFT set up and go for a decent quality set up all round in the shape of Michelin Pilot Sports, most like the CUP 2, if not the 4 or Supersports. Either way, I played around with lots of tyre set up on my old track car and found the Michelin my preferred favourite for stickiness. I'll do the fronts first as my rear Bridgestones are almost new, may as well get a few more months use out fo them.

Whilst the car was up on the jack I took a moment to stick my head in for a look at the shocker - I found it to be leaking :roll: It's no massive deal as I had planned a suspension upgrade in any case. As the car is used for a daily commute of 10 miles then spirited road driving at the weekends, plus 1-2 trips to the 'Ring every year I don't need anything too extream. Currently looking a Koni and Bilstein set ups.

Thanks for reading, any advice or tips as to the phantom noise from the front wheel would be appreciated :thumbs:

Bmw123d
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bmw123d » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Lovely looking car car minter, looks very tidy. It probably is the wheel bearing making the noise . I had a rear one go on mine , even tho it still spun freely. Replaced bearing and noise has gone.

Paul
E82 coupe 123d m sport 2008 08

Mjh7290
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mjh7290 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:10 pm

Very nice mate
2011 Bmw 116d E87

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:32 pm

Bmw123d wrote:Lovely looking car car minter, looks very tidy. It probably is the wheel bearing making the noise . I had a rear one go on mine , even tho it still spun freely. Replaced bearing and noise has gone.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I've come to that conclusion, too.

Mjh7290 wrote:Very nice mate
Thanks!

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Please don't mix tyres. They are not a bad price so do all four the same.

Car looks great. The E series has its charms over the F.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:07 pm

Blackbmw120d wrote:Please don't mix tyres. They are not a bad price so do all four the same.
Mix tyres, In what respect? Of course, I would prefer to replace all 4 but the fact is the fronts are worn where as the rears are like new.

This is the first time I've had a car with RFT, so perhaps there is something I'm unaware of? My only major concern is if I replace with non-RFT what happens if I get a puncture and call the AA for a tow - would they refuse?

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Still none the wiser?
Aside from the issue of not having a spare wheel, which you can get around by carrying a can of tyre weld it doesn't provide any adequate reasoning for running mixed or changing to conventional tyres. It mentions it will have an affect on the handling and suspension characteristics of the car - well, of course it will!! I fully intend to change (read improve) the handling of the car over time with more advanced suspension and other improvements, and as with all other previous cars I will experiment with different tyres to until I find a set which suits my driving.

I simply don't buy the Bridgestone RFT provides better grip than a Michelin SupersSport or Pilot 4. The only advantage is that you can drive slowly for another 50 miles if you get a puncture, even so the end story is the same.... you will need to replace that tyre.

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jgalea324 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 am

What BlackBmw120d is telling you is that you should not simply replace the fronts only, but should ensure that all 4 tyres are the same make and model. Not doing so will unbalance your car's handling - been there done that
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 123d M Sport Le Mans Blue - Bluetooth Added

Post by Minter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Bluetooth Update

Okay, so my car sadly didn't leave the factory with the BT kit. Which is an annoyance frankly as I'm not one for wires everywhere. My 1-er has the Aux-Port only, no USB, so when I first had the car I picked up a simple AUX lead and ran it to my window-mounted phone which allowed me to play my itunes through the car stereo. The cable only just reached and due to the Aux plug being so bulky it didn't really sit right in the window. Plus no hands free phone option. I wasn't happy.

I decided to do some research into sorting a BT option, looking through babybmw.net it would seem the best way is to invest in a Professional HU + all the other gubbins required, which seems to stack up £££ wise, some costing around £400 to sort which would be money better spent elsewhere.

Firstly, after reading reviews I invested in a Supertooth Buddy for £35. It's hidden up on the windscreen shade and connects automatically when I'm in or near the car to my iPhone. It works a treat too, really happy with it, which when you consider I'm about 70% deaf in my left ear is a decent result!

I forgot to take pics of it in the car, had it about 3 weeks but here's a stock image of it:

Next up - Playing iTunes from my phone through the car speakers with no Aux cable

I thought long and hard about this, searched this place plus spent hours googling but no joy other than the usual idea of upgrading to Professional HU etc as mentioned above. Then I had an idea, all I really need is a Bluetooth Dongle with a AUX plug adaptor.

It arrived today, I paired it to my phone and hey presto.. I can now listen to my iTunes through the car speakers with ZERO wires :band: :mrgreen:

The steering wheel and HU volume obviously still works like normal, and I just control the tracks/playlist via the iphone which is simple enough. Okay so it's not an absolute complete solution but for the grand sum of £3.99 for the dongle and £35.00 for the Supertooth Buddy I'm very happy.

A few snaps from this evening;

The BT Dongle + Aux plug before fitting;

Very pleased with my cheap solution and I can now throw the aux cable away.

I know one thing though... I'll make sure my next car will definitely have BT from factory, none of this bullsh1t!!

I met up with some old pals recently. We've all been members and help run another BMW club for the last 12 years or so (e36coupe.com/bmwowner.com). A mini-meet at a local Pub in Surrey where a few beers and some food were had. Here's some pics I took, my 123d was the ony 1-Series there unfortunately! (Yes that is a genuine M3 CSL far right!)

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I've had the car about 2 months now, and as time goes on with the car it appears to be feeling less swift. I may just be imagining it, but it's almost like there's a boost leak perhaps. It just doesn't seem to be pulling as hard through the gears.

I then found an old advert for the car from last December which states it's had a professional DPF removal + Remap. I'm a little pissed about this as the dealership I bought the car from told me it was completely standard which was what I wanted unless modifications were properly documented and receipted so I know exactly what the score is... :evil:

Here's an extract from the advert:

I'm aiming to get it into Jason @ BW ChipTune sometime soon to find out exactly what state of tune the engine is in and then for him to tune it properly as I'm convinced it's not even running standard power.

In other news, I recently ordered a Park Lane Dealer Rear Window Decal and matching keyring. Just a few little finishing touches which I like;

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:50 pm

I like the keyring

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:07 pm

A couple of minor developments in the last few weeks;

- Some Focus driving fcukwit who's a bit crap at parking hit my car :x Last weekend we went to Devon, as I was in a chippy waiting for Fish 'n' Chips when I happened to notice matey in the Focus making a meal out of parking in the space behind me.... the result being he scraped my rear bumper :evil:

It's not huge I know, but still pissed me off. The worst thing is he didn't have two pennies to rub together and it's not worth going through his insurance because then I would have to declare a non-fault claim for the next 5 years, pushing my premiums up.

(Excuse the filthyness of the motor)

As winter is now upon us I decided to re-fresh the screenwash. There wasn't a huge amount left in there anyway but I didn't want to mix it, so drain it out and re-filled using Autoglym Ultimate Screenwash. I've read the reviews and people seemed to rate it highly... so far I'm quite impressed with it and it's only £2.95 a bottle in Halfords at the moment - Bargain!

I've not had chance to get the car over to Jason @ BW Chiptune yet for a remap, however, I have had two experiences which lead me to believe the car is probably standard.

- I had a 'blat' with another 123d MSport, there's no telling his was standard but our cars pulled exactly the same!

- Last weekend, over a distance of 30 miles or so I played against a 16-Plate 120d Msport. My car was definitely quicker, not by a huge amount granted, however I had the edge on every acceleration run by enough margin to see a 15hp -/+ between the cars as it is on paper. (120d = 190hp / 123d 204hp)

That's it for now.

Minter
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Minter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 pm

I forgot to add, I'm thinking of putting my plate on the 1-er, more for sh1ts n giggles than anything else.

Not quiteImage made my mind up yet though, thoughts..?

Excuse the bird sh*t.

Return to “Members Cars”