Baby BMW Forum banner

[AUS] 2006 E87 130i - First Bimmer

19K views 126 replies 22 participants last post by  walkie86 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I collected my 130i back in March, this is the story.

[14 March 2016]

I've been driving RENAULTsport Clios for almost 10 years and contemplated upsizing to a 5-door Megane 225 but driving to work one day a blue 130i with tow stickers cruised past and I thought, "That's the car for me".

A few mates have owned 130is in the past, which I've driven plenty of times, so I began to suss out the market and evaluate what few examples were available - manual of course. I drove a silver one that was for sale (great car), came close to buying a mate's mint black 2005 model (but decided I didn't want black) and even made an offer on a blue one with BBS-style rims but was the underbidder.

Then, while waiting to hear back on my offer an immaculate looking Le Mans Blue example with low km and a great spec of options popped up - only problem was it was in Melbourne! I quickly called the owner and asked for more pics, more info - anything to help understand the car, its history and condition.

As it turned out he was an ex-BMW Master Tech (now working on the suit side at a dealership) and was very OCD about his car! We agreed a price, subject to me flying down on Saturday and inspecting. I was confident the car would be as described but when I arrived it was even better! New rear tyres, near-new front brakes, no oil leaks, freshly serviced and detailed - it was immaculate.

We did all the paper work, handed over the cash and my mate and I began the long drive home (via lunch at for a perve and catch up with a few Renault friends), arriving home just after midnight.

The long drive back on the freeway (10 hours) gave me plenty of time to get acquainted with the car in general and I can confirm it's all :love:

Her spec from factory from what I can tell:
- 2006 Le Mans Blue, 6-speed manual
- 86,500 km (after the drive back from Melb)
- i-Drive Professional
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Logic7 hi-fi
- Heated front seats
- Hi-beam assist
- Folding mirrors
- Sunroof
- Bi-xenons

No immediate major modifications planned (except window tint) as I want to get to know her and learn how to drive RWD properly, but possible upgrades in the future include ZHP gearknob, M3 front and rear sway bars, 135 rear muffler and some more intake noise. Maybe some different rims and non-runflats once the tyres wear out too! Oh and a Quaife + 135 brakes would be nice...

One pic from the drive home for now but there will be plenty more to come. My mates and I run a website chronicling our automotive adventures and associated Instagram page, so she'll receive plenty of coverage on there!

by , on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
[15 March 2016]

Straight after collecting the keys, we met up with an online friend, Drew, who we'd helped with his purchase of a black 130i from a friend of ours only 2 weeks prior. It was good to meet in person and chat all things BMW and automotive!

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

A few pit stops on the run home to Sydney:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

I seem to like taking photos of the 130i from rear 3/4 angle... will post some front ones soon!

#3 ·
[17 March 2016]

She's regoed! Personal plates to come, in the meantime I couldn't stand the thought of yellows so stumped the extra cash for whites...

by , on Flickr

And then straight to OP for some speed dating:

by , on Flickr

She goes well! RWD it totally new for me so I've a lot to learn. An enjoyable challenge for sure :)

Back to the daily run for now:

by , on Flickr

Few soapy shots trying to remove all the bugs following Sunday's drive home:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Already compiling a list of little things to fix up, improve or add and have just bought some roof racks on eBay, which I'll collect on Saturday.

#6 ·
Thanks lads, loving it so far!

Photo from late March:

Early April:

Bought some roof racks off eBay a few weeks back. Actually had a use for them on the weekend so fitted. Will remove for daily use though as they're too noisy with the sunroof open! Ordered a ZHP gearknob yesterday, so can't wait to get that fitted.

A drive in July:

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

#7 ·
[12 July 2016]

A few little updates and changes over the last few months.

- ZHP gear knob
- LED side indicators
- Silvervision rear indicator bulbs
- Stubby antenna
- Golf tee muffler mod
- Personalised plates
- BMWP 269Ms with 225/255 Hankook R-S3 tyres.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

Always looking for the next bits and pieces - would love a 135i muffler and some M3 suspension bits! Will keep you updated with progress :cool2:

#8 ·
[12 August 2016]

Pre-meet before a cheeky night drive

by , on Flickr

[25 August 2016]

Just had BMS Autohaus flush the brake fluid and remove the CDV while they were there. Brakes feel nice and the clutch action is definitely improved. Will let it sink in for a few days as the clutch modulation has changed somewhat.

Overall, happy with the service and pricing from BMS!

Should be going into the panel shop next week for some light repairs - had someone perform an illegal U-turn in front of me with no warning (they were in the left lane and turned across me). It was low speed so only very minor damage but got onto the insurance claim quickly to avoid excess. Hopefully some of the other minor bumper blemishes get fixed up in the process!

Also have some new gear and handbrake gaitors on order from eBay UK. My OEM handbrake one is a little worn so took the opportunity to replace both so they're matching. Will report back with photos once fitted. Additionally, I tracked down a 135i rear muffler in Melbourne that my mate collected for me. Just need to sort transport to Sydney and install. Looking forward to that!

#9 ·
Discussed in another thread but I managed to save my PDC module from water build up in the rear quarter well and dry it all out. Seems to be working fine.

New gear and handbrake gaitors arrived so fitted them on the weekend. Might tweak the fitment a little but overall pretty happy with them.

#10 ·
#11 ·
#13 ·
Looks like a very nice car ! Keep up the good work

#14 ·
markhurley said:
Looks like a very nice car ! Keep up the good work
Thanks mate, appreciate it!

1M front sway bar just acquired last night and also dropped her off at the paint shop to get a ding to the front left guard fixed (under insurance, not my fault so don't have to pay anything). My panel beater also claimed a new wheel which was approved so I should have a nice spare matching spare to keep for long trips now :cool2:

#16 ·
#17 ·
So, a few months back I purchased a near new N55 135i rear muffler in Melbourne and finally organised shipping to Sydney last week (it was chilling at my mate's place for a while...). Cost $100, courier through my in-laws cost $32 and I've just had it installed at Lambros Hi-Tec (not the cheapest but they're very convenient for me at work and do a good job).

Apologies for the crummy iPhone pics but you get the gist. Will try get some video soon. First impressions - not much different at idle or cruising around but really sings up high and there are some big pops & bangs on the overrun, which is really want I was looking for! Can't wait to drive it home tonight after work.

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

#19 ·
Sonic1506 said:
Lovely photos!
Thanks mate.

Quick vid from last night of a cold start. Note it sounds quite loud but really, inside the car when driving it's maybe 5-10% louder than stock. Phone camera was about 1m from the exhaust and the vacuum line is still in place (ie. no golf tee mod). I will take a similar vid from the same location of my mate's stock exhaust for a direct comparison. Also note this is an N55 rear muffler, which from my understanding is slightly different/louder than an N54.

#21 ·
holland130i said:
Very nice sound...did the same on my 130i...but i also did the resonator(mid demper)delete...gives you even more sound!! (if you want that... :D )

Mark.
Cheers mate - some local guys have done the mid res delete too and it sounds epic! Might be a bit much for my daily commute though :)

#22 ·
walkie86 said:
holland130i said:
Very nice sound...did the same on my 130i...but i also did the resonator(mid demper)delete...gives you even more sound!! (if you want that... :D )

Mark.
Cheers mate - some local guys have done the mid res delete too and it sounds epic! Might be a bit much for my daily commute though :)
well its not too loud when at constant speed...only when on full throttle!!

Tunnels are a blast mate :D

Mark.

#25 ·
Cheers lads.

Will aim to get some vid of my mate's standard car for reference and some fly-bys tomorrow night :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.