Baby BMW Forum banner

Biggie's e81 120d

6K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  Ian w 
#1 ·
Hello guys and girls,
My names Sam from Wiltshire literally 1 mile away from stonehenge. Well at the beginning of the year I started my new job at micheldever tyres which is the head office of pro tyre, tyre land and places like that [emoji4] the only downside is it's a 70 mile round trip and driving a polo 6n2 wasn't the best idea as it was on its last legs so, it comes to the 1 series. I've had my 120d since February this year and I've got to say I love it! After owners a numerous of cars from a ridiculously low e46 on ac type2 splits to my track eg civic which I regret selling big time, but I've always wanted another BMW I just missed the comfort and the refinement about them but didn't want a big saloon wanted something nippy and quick was on the look out for a 123d but kept seeing most of them where from up north and wasn't planning to drive that far so I settled for the 120d. Got a few mods in mind like, black kidney grills, 18's of some sort, lowering springs, exhaust tint the windows slightly, I would like to get it to 250hp but that's not on the top of my list really but first things was my personal plate [emoji4]

Any comments welcome any questions don't hesitate to ask [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks great mate, perhaps a spoiler/lip of some sort would look good, defo black grills!

#4 ·
Not much of an update, but as I'm on holiday from work and the misses has gone to get her nails done I thought was a good time to give the car a good clean. So popped into my old work as I don't want to use my own water haha. I put my smaller plate on the front of the 1er as well any way here's some pictures

I've been looking at some black kidneys grills for the past few weeks so I recon on payday I should be in the market to buy some. Also been reading up on the bilstein b12 kit and some bigger arbs.
I'm abut undesired between the 313's or the 208's

#5 ·
Not much of an update at the moment just another day to clean the 1er, realised that my front bumper and bonnet are in much need of painting didn't notice last time how Hadley stone chipped it is [emoji20] so that's now in the list todo, but I'll do that when I get some projectors and black kidney grills any way some pictures

Does anyone know or a company that can fix the screen on my CD player? The bottom letters look like there half missing....

#6 ·
Haven't been on here for a while [emoji46] not much has changed but I have bought couple bits for the e81 &#x1f919-1f3fb; I bought a bee sting Ariel as the factory one was way to big! And I bought my self some black kidney grills yesterday. On my birthday I bought the Carly adapter way back in June so I've been playing around with that [emoji4] any way I have a picture which I took this evening ready for trax tomorrow.

Next up will be some eibach lowering springs [emoji4] and hopefully a set of m208 or style 162

Cheers sam

#7 ·
Not too dissimilar aesthetically to my 130i, Sam. Suffice to say, I like it [emoji1]

For that reason I've a soft spot for the m208 wheels but if be interested to see a 1er with the 162s fitted also. I also pondered the black kidney grilles and the ARB/Bilstein combo for future so will follow your progress there.

Lastly, my radio LCD is on its way out too. Did you get it sorted in the end? Been following the cheap replacements from China but I'd almost prefer to get mine repaired tbh.

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Cheers Ian [emoji4]

I love the m208 on the 1 series a lot but I've only found pictures of a e87 one style 162 on google and it looks really smart I've got to say &#x1f919-1f3fb; I haven't sorted the screen out yet but one of my friends has the same problem on his x5, he's talking to a guy that is mobile and can sort it at your house for around £60 I think [emoji848] don't hold me to that though

#10 ·
Cheers chap, it's trying to find a rough set so I can send them off for refurb as I don't really want to pay £500 for a set haha

Ahhh nice one I'll have a look today &#x1f919-1f3fb; as for the car it looks it but the paint is covered in sap at the moment [emoji30] need to spend a lot of time clay baring it soon to get rid of it and give it a good clean! Spent a good time speaking to the eibach guy at trax yesterday and I'm definitely buying some springs on next pay day &#x1f919-1f3fb;

#11 ·
Well a little update!

Got home after work and I had a parcel waiting for me :) it was my kidney grills &#x1f919-1f3fb;
So today on my break I fitted them, they look so much better than the chrome ones that was on there, I only have the one picture when they were fitted as I forgot to take a before picture haha

Definitely needs a clean and a good session on the clay bar &#x1f919-1f3fb;

Cheers sam

#13 ·
There not genuine Ian, wanted some but couldn't find some for the price I wanted to pay, for aftermarket parts they fit very well though! Was surprised actually &#x1f919-1f3fb;
I might take them out again as spray them gloss black or I might respiratory the oem ones black

#14 ·
Hi people not much to update with really, but I want to keep my build thread going [emoji4] any way about a month ago I went to trax with one of my good friends, can't fault it apart from the weather but a day out is better than doing nothing! At trax a purchased some magiuers paint car kit, as my mate said it would easily get of the tree sap that I mentioned a few comments ago [emoji4] the kit consists of a shampoo and conditioner, clay bar, quick detailer, compound and a high gloss wax and I've got to say going from auto glym to this is next level. Well back to today went to my old work to give it I good clean and a mean a good clean haha used the shampoo and microfibred to dry it, I underestimated how much sap was on it [emoji20] they give you a reasonable size bar of the clay bar to use over the whole car which should take about 2 hours todo the car. I used the whole bar on the roof it was that bad [emoji20] but the out come after was insane!! So aswell as the lowering springs on pay day I'm buying a 50g block of clay bar todo the roof and the rest of the car. Anyway I aqua waxed the rest of the car just so it is clean [emoji4]

And a few when I got home

The next update should be in a week or so when I purchase the eibach springs [emoji4]
Cheers
Sam &#x1f919-1f3fb;

#17 ·
Evening all &#x1f919-1f3fb;

Just a little update, today is the best day off every month "payday" so I went straight on to demontweeks and order my eibach springs [emoji4] I went for the street ones as I wouldn't mind it a little lower than the pro kit, also I purchased a clay bar bit that came with 160g of clay bar, micro fibre towel and a bottle of quick detailer. Though as the misses was in the hair dressers for most of the day I would hopefully get the rest of the car done [emoji4] which failed haha I got the bonnet, both wings and the front bumper done, until I got a phone call saying she was done. I've got to say you need a chair and get ready for the worst dead arms ever [emoji23] only down side is I forgot to take pictures haha the only picture I have is the roof which I took the day after I Clay bared it the other day

I'm back to work on Monday so as soon as I get the springs though the post it'll be getting booked in at the workshop to get them fitted &#x1f919-1f3fb;

Cheers sam

#21 ·
It's update time &#x1f919-1f3fb;

Last Friday the post man dropped of an early Xmas present to myself [emoji16] yes, it was the eibachs!!

So back on Monday I booked the car in at work so my college would do it as i had a lot booked in for myself [emoji20] but at least I could keep a close eye on him any how, so up on the 2 post ramp it went and he set to work, the rears took about 20 minutes todo [emoji1303] which was easy enough, but the fronts on the other how didn't, found out my intercooler is leaking oil for some reason [emoji30] so I got to have a look into that, fingers crossed the turbo isn't on its way out as I'm not planning on a hybrid before Christmas and one of front lower arms was hanging, so replaced both sides as that's the right thing todo [emoji16] was trying to see what was the difference in the m3 ones but couldn't get the right signal to check, so if someone could shed some light that will be helpful and finally my n/s/f top mount is a bit stiff so they will be getting replaced at the same time when I get some bilsteins

And the out come

I would like to space the wheels out a little but it sits perfect just how I wanted it [emoji4] was right on buying the street line against the pro line ones [emoji4]

I will get some more pictures when the car is very clean and I can take some beauty shots of her [emoji16]

Cheers sam

#22 ·
Hello,

Just a little update cars booked back in at work to get that top mount replaced as it's making my car pull towards the left and it's toying with my mind, why I didn't replace it while it was apart I don't know! But anyway we learn from our mistakes haha. I've got to admit the eibach springs have made a big difference in my opinion [emoji4] definitely getting some bilsteins and eibach arbs some time next year! Anyway I have a couple of pictures that I took at work [emoji4]

God i can't wait to give a good clean [emoji23]

Cheers for now
Sam &#x1f919-1f3fb;

#23 ·
Little update time &#x1f919-1f3fb;

Well I've had a little bit of spending money over the few weeks and I've been looking at wheels! Sorted a deal on some ac schnitzer type 3 18x8.5 et15 for £300 but that fell through as I found out the person sold them with out telling me [emoji35] one thing that grinds my teeth is that people don't let you know what's happened or even worse don't even respond back to you [emoji31] so back on the hunt I went! And I found some good examples of some style 261 [emoji16] for a very good price [emoji1303] so they should be here Friday. Right now for some bad bits drove home yesterday from work and I heard a slight knocking noise from the n/s/f but as you do you carry on and ignore it, big mistake! On the way to pick the misses up the knock was pretty bad and I had to have a look, so got home, out came the trusty jack and my snap on impact gun and I whipped the wheel off

Yes the shocks blown [emoji24] bad enough I work in a garage and had all the time to have a look. So bilsteins it is then [emoji19] right before Xmas
And yes the car is hanging [emoji23] it's doing my head in being this dirty haha will be cleaning it very soon
Any questions let me know &#x1f919-1f3fb;
Cheers
Sam

#24 ·
Well not really having the best of luck with the 1er at the moment! As everyone can see my nsf shock blew couple weeks ago, now I've order some bilsteins b8 but they won't be here until the 5th of January now [emoji1304] and now for some even worse news! On the 2nd of December as I pulled up to work, there was a very load whistle which sounded like a supercharger. Wasn't happy with that so took it down to the mechanical bay at work and they said my turbo has shat itself [emoji30] luckily I can get a turbo through work, so it's booked in on Tuesday next week so I should be driving it again soon [emoji1303] anyway I've fitted the new wheels and they have transformed the look and the ride is a lot better with out the runfalts [emoji4]

I can't wait to get it back on the road so I can at least give it a massive clean as I haven't done that in 2 months or so

Cheers sam

#26 ·
Yeah definitely mate if it wasn't for work I could probably see myself either going mad about fix it or most likely just selling it! But I'm glad neither of those happened &#x1f919-1f3fb; cheers twenny [emoji1305] well the new turbo is on [emoji4] the guys are doing a full service tomorrow on it aswell as well as so rear brake pads as I didn't know how low they were [emoji1304] only got one picture of it semi back together though

And one I took yesterday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.