Baby BMW Forum banner

Stevo's M140i

17K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  Dizeee 
#1 ·
Looks good. I do like the gloss black interior trim that's available now.

#5 ·
Some pics in the sun. Two mods left to do... first is to have the grey bumper part at the back wrapped Gloss Black and the second is either back box mod or custom y pipe. Hopefully be done in the next few weeks!

Can you explain what the back box mod is thanks. The car looks cracking also :)

#7 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
Ian83w said:
Some pics in the sun. Two mods left to do... first is to have the grey bumper part at the back wrapped Gloss Black and the second is either back box mod or custom y pipe. Hopefully be done in the next few weeks!

Can you explain what the back box mod is thanks. The car looks cracking also :)
The backbox mod... the backbox has a pipe running through that has lots of small holes in it. The box is cut open, the holes are welded up and the box is sealed again. Adds more noise but still keeps the standard look and fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh ok so will that in one way make it sound similar to the mpe then.

#8 ·
This looks awesome - can't believe I've only just come across this. I especially like all of the Maxton styling additions. Some 405M wheels would finish this off perfectly!

Edit: Just read back through the thread and realised I was at the first Carsington meet you went to too! Hope 'Penetrator' arranges another now the weather is picking up.

#9 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
mikethemike said:
This looks awesome - can't believe I've only just come across this. I especially like all of the Maxton styling additions. Some 405M wheels would finish this off perfectly!

Edit: Just read back through the thread and realised I was at the first Carsington meet you went to too! Hope 'Penetrator' arranges another now the weather is picking up.
Which car were you in? I missed the last one due the baby being born. It's about time another was arranged!

I was in a black E87 120d. Think I was the only E87 there! Since got my M140i though and I was at the last one in that. Yes, definitely need another one arranged soon.

#11 ·
Loving it mate, not far behind you on the mods lol

Got the full maxton kit fitted, gloss grills, carbon mirrors and carbon dipped bumper fins, 25mm lowering springs ready to fit now

Just need the mid pipe to get rid of silencers and picking up some 19's at weekend :D

Keep up the good work dude, looking and sounding awesome

#12 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
MikeyBacon said:
Loving it mate, not far behind you on the mods lol

Got the full maxton kit fitted, gloss grills, carbon mirrors and carbon dipped bumper fins, 25mm lowering springs ready to fit now

Just need the mid pipe to get rid of silencers and picking up some 19's at weekend :D

Keep up the good work dude, looking and sounding awesome
Get some pics up! Which wheels have you gone for?

All will be revealed soon :D

#20 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
I ditched the TMC box last week and fitted a JB4. Updated the firmware and ran the new map 2, which was very disappointing compared to the TMC box. Logs were fine so moved up to map 3. Had BMS check logs I took over 3 days and although the trims were high, they advised that it was all ok. Map 3 is very good, exactly what I was expecting.
Steve,

Good feedback on TMC v JB4 esp new map 2 [same as old map 1] being lack lustre in comparison and map 3 working well on your car

BP

#21 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
Thanks BP. I just need to try and learn a bit more about the JB4 and the effect it has on the car. At the moment, I have no idea what the logs mean and what I should be paying particular attention to. Apart from the n54 forum, is there anywhere else you would recommend for info?
Steve - I'm very au fait with Jb4 for n55 and whilst I'm happy to look at B58 Jb4 logs, you're best bet is to hook up with seasoned B58 jb4 users on here/aFB etc to ensure you get info rather than mis-info. Also, if you are near Heathrow,you could get your car run up on BW Chiptune's dyno and perhaps get a custom map 6 setup up to deal with high trim values you were referring to. BP

#22 ·
Nice little read there, something rare on the M140i especially with the mods you've done. Cheers!

#23 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
At high speed the front of the car feels nervous. Having ridden motorcycles all my life, it doesn't bother me too much but would be nice to have it feel a bit more planted. Looking into the M4 LCA and TS mod, potentially fitting at xmas when work quietens down. Concerned that with 15mm spacers and a 25mm drop on the car, the wheel may rub.

More immediate modification will be the F21 tension struts. I feel the lack of tension more than any other issue so well worth the £140 to resolve. Just need to find the time to do it.

Potentially looking at some wider wheels to assist with traction. Preferably 18's so I can keep the MPSS and with a width and offset to match the stance I have now (436M with 15mm spacers all round).
Steve,

What toe are running F & R - if close zero at the front then as speed rises toe will tend towards toe-out. What tyre pressures are you running ?

If too psi too high - both these might explain the nervousness you describe.

Adding F8X LCA and TS will definitely help steering feel and sharpen up turn-in plus as F8x LCA's are longer, you won't need the front spacers.

Wheels - photos of my cars previous setup - F8x lower arms, 8" et34mm square all round with oem MPSS and H&R sport springs....

Attachments

#24 ·
ratedrkstevo said:
Blind Pugh said:
ratedrkstevo said:
At high speed the front of the car feels nervous. Having ridden motorcycles all my life, it doesn't bother me too much but would be nice to have it feel a bit more planted. Looking into the M4 LCA and TS mod, potentially fitting at xmas when work quietens down. Concerned that with 15mm spacers and a 25mm drop on the car, the wheel may rub.

More immediate modification will be the F21 tension struts. I feel the lack of tension more than any other issue so well worth the £140 to resolve. Just need to find the time to do it.

Potentially looking at some wider wheels to assist with traction. Preferably 18's so I can keep the MPSS and with a width and offset to match the stance I have now (436M with 15mm spacers all round).
Steve,

What toe are running F & R - if close zero at the front then as speed rises toe will tend towards toe-out. What tyre pressures are you running ?

If too psi too high - both these might explain the nervousness you describe.

Adding F8X LCA and TS will definitely help steering feel and sharpen up turn-in plus as F8x LCA's are longer, you won't need the front spacers.

Wheels - photos of my cars previous setup - F8x lower arms, 8" et34mm square all round with oem MPSS and H&R sport springs....
Toe close to zero, running 34psi front 35psi rear.

Is the guide for LCA up to date? Will I still need to have the two washers made?

-------------------------------------
2016 M140i
JB4
Motech/Eibach lowering springs
15mm spacers front and rear
Maxton kit
Custom backbox delete
-------------------------------------
Try lowering front psi slightly - if toe is zero then that'll cause the twitchiness. Try 3mins or 0.05 Deg toe-in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.