Quaife/Drexler/Wavetrac/M3 diffs - How do they perform?

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Quaife/Drexler/Wavetrac/M3 diffs - How do they perform?

Post by Graearea » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Hmmm. I might take that rear bar off you. You're up north right?
Trying to figure out how 15 compares to the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Graearea wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:41 am
Danny_Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 pm
I'll be honest, when are you going to c**k a rear wheel in the air?
on the track, all the damn time. even in the damp. :(
off the track pretty much never (unless you wanna chuck donuts) I'm pretty fed up with it to the extent that I'm trying to figure out how to fix my balance problem. I need to soften my ARBS at the rear but I'm struggling to find something between e90 and e87 ARBS. I don't really want to fit even stiffer fronts even tho it's by far the easiest (replacing the rear ARB is a complete SeeYouNextTuesday)
If it helps I've tried all sorts of diffs and the nastiest ones on the road seem to work the best on track. You might be as well just getting a stock diff welded and see if you prefer. Horrible on road mind. As an experiment you could simply unbolt the ARB and see if it helps. Then try firming rear susp if you have the option.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:11 pm

I've got coilovers but I'm unsure as to how to set them to reduce the lift.

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Graearea wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:44 pm
Hmmm. I might take that rear bar off you. You're up north right?
Trying to figure out how 15 compares to the stock.

Yes im up in Cumbria/lake district but should be able to post it if our not close or passing, think stock is 10 or 11mm I cant remember but know it like a pipe cleaner!

£50 if you want the eibach rear bar just let me know, would need to check postage but shouldn't be much.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:46 am

I'll take it!

ajmanby
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ajmanby » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am
Graearea wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:41 am
Danny_Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 pm
I'll be honest, when are you going to c**k a rear wheel in the air?
on the track, all the damn time. even in the damp. :(
off the track pretty much never (unless you wanna chuck donuts) I'm pretty fed up with it to the extent that I'm trying to figure out how to fix my balance problem. I need to soften my ARBS at the rear but I'm struggling to find something between e90 and e87 ARBS. I don't really want to fit even stiffer fronts even tho it's by far the easiest (replacing the rear ARB is a complete SeeYouNextTuesday)
Ive got a Eibach 15mm rear bar spare if any good ? its not a huge upgrade from stock but that's the point as its designed to keep wheels on ground with some upgrade to roll stiffness :)

On my 130i with Quaife I found on the road it was fine in all but really tight hairpins when it would allow it to spin the inside wheel, on track no problems at all but Im a very smooth driver and ran a pretty compliant damper/spring/arb setup which was Konis dampers, stock/eibach springs and M3 front ARB with stock rear bar and used federal RSR tyres.

Edit to add, on my 135i I was close to getting a wavetrac before I sold it just to see the difference over quaife I had on 130i, although it wasn't a huge problem with quaife I would of preferred it to not give that issue on tight hairpins but not end of world, everywhere else car was sooooo much better at getting power down either would be a huge improvment.

Ian
Ian, did you run the E92 or E93 anti roll bar up front?
2011 135i Bluewater with Coral red leather.. DCT - Pro Alloy IC - BMWP exhaust - Birds B1 suspension - M3 LCA - M3 ARB - Stage 1 camber plates - M3 Performance steering wheel - Alufelgen CS7 - Whiteline subframe inserts

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 am

ajmanby wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 am

Ian, did you run the E92 or E93 anti roll bar up front?
Im sure it was an E92 and not the stiffer E93 but would need to check.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:34 pm

My God that was effort. New arb went in fine (thanks Ian!) but one of the chassis subframe bolts was a mess. Also one of the control arm bolts. New ones were sourced from midland bm for 0 money and tightened up fine. I've got another evening trackday at Bedford on the 23rd so I'll see if it's made the improvement I'm looking for.

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by git-r2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm

For anyone reading this looking for info on the m performance diff that you buy from BMW:

It's good!

Way better than the lsd fitted to e46 m3's.

I've done a couple of track days since getting mine fitted and haven't had any of the problems reported with the quaiffe version. The majority of people will never see any benefit form fitting one mind, but if you enjoy steering from the rear this will do that ok. Not as good as welded or clunky 2 way but definitely makes the car faster and gives the driver the ability to slide on command.

If only they fitted them as standard!
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”