E8x Camber plate project

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Poormans
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: E8x Camber plate project

Post by Poormans » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Offtopic: are those nuts in the strutbar really barely on?
shooting brake

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Poormans wrote:Offtopic: are those nuts in the strutbar really barely on?
Haha the MOT man said the same thing. It's ok, the nut is deep with a shoulder on it. Trust me there's plenty of thread engagement. Normally I have the plastic covers on the nuts so you can't see them, but I had to prove it at my MOT by removing one to show them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit] Bilstein B12 kit
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA] Megan Racing toe arms. CDV delete. E46 M3 trans mounts

Poormans
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Poormans » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 pm

:thumbs:
shooting brake

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

E8x Camber plate project

Post by tbt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Had my alignment checked somewhere else and adjusted today.
Opted for the local Kwik Fit and helped the guy do it on their hunter machine.
Got a deal on 8 full alignments to be used within 2 years for £109.95 so if I don't like these settings I can always go back to my hearts content!
Also will be useful if I ever change some more parts to get it re-done, as a full 4 wheel alignment on its own would have been £80.

I opted for zero front toe to see how I'd like it. Initial impressions are that it doesn't actually feel as good on turn in compared to previous settings, which is not what I was expecting, as it appears I had too much toe in (to be within OE spec) before today's adjustments.

I will continue to test on some faster roads, but for instance I am now getting a lot of screech on roundabouts which feels just like when I first installed the M3 rack and had far too much toe in and when I backed this off it was loads better.
Just feels like the front end is pushing too much currently.

2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit] Bilstein B12 kit
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA] Megan Racing toe arms. CDV delete. E46 M3 trans mounts

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 am

Numbers look better, is that with you in car or drivers seat weighted etc ?

Toe wise ive always preferred zero or a smidge of toe in but everyone is different.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by tbt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:43 pm

That's with no weights or anyone sitting inside, half a tank of fuel.

I'll see how I like the setup over the next week or two and decide if I want to tweak anything.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Can't set them up light, there should have been be a stage on the set-up which clearly states correct ride heights for aligning?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

desliu99

Post by desliu99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the Carbotech brakes, not yet on the car so could not give feedback on them yet.

Staying on topic. when i change the pads, I may aswell get camber plates and potentially the Birds 'Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit' installed
I have:
235/40/18 Nankang AR-1 tyres on
r18 8J et45 rims,
stock suspension, (your aftermarket recommendation a consideration)
finger tight between top of tyre and metal spring seat

Although I would like a track setup camber (stage 2), I am concerned generally about clearances so may pussy out and get stage 1.

Ian/all, any observations on clearances with stage 1 or 2 with full lock on? are there any aftermarket front struts that have smaller diameter package than others?

For those interested about the rear:
I have 265/35/18 Nankang AR-1 tyres
r18 9j et50 rims,
stock suspension,
some rubbing on RHS rear fender (rolling arch to increase), LHS ok (seems to be luck of component tolerances) but not tried big bumps/slides due RHS issues

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 pm

desliu99 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:04 pm
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the Carbotech brakes, not yet on the car so could not give feedback on them yet.

Staying on topic. when i change the pads, I may aswell get camber plates and potentially the Birds 'Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit' installed
I have:
235/40/18 Nankang AR-1 tyres on
r18 8J et45 rims,
stock suspension, (your aftermarket recommendation a consideration)
finger tight between top of tyre and metal spring seat

Although I would like a track setup camber (stage 2), I am concerned generally about clearances so may pussy out and get stage 1.

Ian/all, any observations on clearances with stage 1 or 2 with full lock on? are there any aftermarket front struts that have smaller diameter package than others?

For those interested about the rear:
I have 265/35/18 Nankang AR-1 tyres
r18 9j et50 rims,
stock suspension,
some rubbing on RHS rear fender (rolling arch to increase), LHS ok (seems to be luck of component tolerances) but not tried big bumps/slides due RHS issues
No problems on pads let me know once fitted :)

Remind me what your car is and what sort of usage? then I can make a suspension recommendation for you, wheel to strut/spring clearance wont change with the camber plates as they just move the top of damper over to tip the complete hub/strut/wheel etc.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

desliu99

Post by desliu99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm

No problems on pads let me know once fitted :)

Remind me what your car is and what sort of usage? then I can make a suspension recommendation for you, wheel to strut/spring clearance wont change with the camber plates as they just move the top of damper over to tip the complete hub/strut/wheel etc.

Ian
[/quote]

Bmw 130i LE,
general goal is to turn it into a cup car. like a production Renault clio cup that makes clever little/cost effective improvements at the expense of some NVH/ ride quality. roll cage/stereo removal is too far, bucket seats are not.

Short 8 mile drive to work and 'delivery van'.
Do the odd track day, hope to increase to 4 a year,
have 2nd car for long journeys.

wheel to strut/spring clearance wont change with the camber plates as they just move the top of damper over to tip the complete hub/strut/wheel etc.
Agreed, more concerned that extra camber+extra tread width (stock 205) on full lock may mean rubbing on inner wheel arch.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 am

desliu99 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm
Bmw 130i LE,
general goal is to turn it into a cup car. like a production Renault clio cup that makes clever little/cost effective improvements at the expense of some NVH/ ride quality. roll cage/stereo removal is too far, bucket seats are not.

Short 8 mile drive to work and 'delivery van'.
Do the odd track day, hope to increase to 4 a year,
have 2nd car for long journeys.

wheel to strut/spring clearance wont change with the camber plates as they just move the top of damper over to tip the complete hub/strut/wheel etc.
Agreed, more concerned that extra camber+extra tread width (stock 205) on full lock may mean rubbing on inner wheel arch.
Depends how far you want to go and how you find stock setup ? Msport kits isn't bad if in good health once you sort rear pogo with shorter bumpstops and add some camber with m3 front arms and my Camber plates, also rear subframe inserts helps keep rear in check...... but if its needing a refresh or you want to upgrade more then for a sensible budget I would go with koni sport adjustable dampers, msport or eibach pro springs, BMWP bumpstops front and rear (or koni shorter rear for extra ride comfort) as per my suspension quest as link in signature below :) if you have larger budget get the Ohlins coilovers as I fitted to my 135i, not as comfy as Koni setup but still decent enough and much better body control when pushing on.

Stage1 camber plates will probably be enough for road use/odd trackday when coupled with M3 arms, stage2 plates with M3 arms will give anything from -2.5 to -3 camber which can be a bit much for normal road use although many do run that much.

Ian
--

desliu99

Post by desliu99 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:05 pm

[/quote]

Depends how far you want to go and how you find stock setup ? Msport kits isn't bad if in good health once you sort rear pogo with shorter bumpstops and add some camber with m3 front arms and my Camber plates, also rear subframe inserts helps keep rear in check...... but if its needing a refresh or you want to upgrade more then for a sensible budget I would go with koni sport adjustable dampers, msport or eibach pro springs, BMWP bumpstops front and rear (or koni shorter rear for extra ride comfort) as per my suspension quest as link in signature below :) if you have larger budget get the Ohlins coilovers as I fitted to my 135i, not as comfy as Koni setup but still decent enough and much better body control when pushing on.

Stage1 camber plates will probably be enough for road use/odd trackday when coupled with M3 arms, stage2 plates with M3 arms will give anything from -2.5 to -3 camber which can be a bit much for normal road use although many do run that much.

Ian
[/quote]

Thanks for the info,
I could talk endlessly about suspension setup that is off topic. so shall take that discussion to the link in your signature.

Don't intend in using M3 arms as would rather have monoball/very stiff bushings in them.
I think stage 2 will give roughly -2 camber without m3 arms?
sounds sensible camber value to me.
-2.5/3 camber I think is just too much and really, you need to be tracking the car regularly on slicks.
Just looking at BTCC, front camber does not look much more than 3 degrees.

careful with bump stop tuning, cutting them increases bump travel, extreme reduction could be too much for your brake lines.

Can you PM me a cost for a front pair of stage 2 and 1. Will continue to think about which one to go for.

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 am

desliu99 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:05 pm
Thanks for the info,
I could talk endlessly about suspension setup that is off topic. so shall take that discussion to the link in your signature.

Don't intend in using M3 arms as would rather have monoball/very stiff bushings in them.
I think stage 2 will give roughly -2 camber without m3 arms?
sounds sensible camber value to me.
-2.5/3 camber I think is just too much and really, you need to be tracking the car regularly on slicks.
Just looking at BTCC, front camber does not look much more than 3 degrees.

careful with bump stop tuning, cutting them increases bump travel, extreme reduction could be too much for your brake lines.

Can you PM me a cost for a front pair of stage 2 and 1. Will continue to think about which one to go for.
M3 LCA arms give a noticeable improvement in lots of ways, the stock arms have a nasty plastic/rubber inner bush that just flexes for wheel travel whereas the M3 arms is a very well made proper ball joint allowing suspension to move much nicer, as well as giving the camber.

Ive not had anyone fit stage2 without M3 arms but you probably about right at -2 with just the plates.

BTCC cars are running more like -5 at the front :)

Bumpstops on these cars are not really just bumpstops like you see on ohers cars, the rears especially are active all the time assisting the coil spring and damper and this is what gives bouncy rear end as per my quest thread, trimming or fitting 20mm or so shorter makes a huge difference to ride quality and fitting the firmer Eibach coil springs at same time helps hold car up better as well.

Will sort some prices for you on plates.

Ian
--

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Couple more sets ready for packing as picture, Stage2 are sold (were actually meant to go on my car!) but Stage1 are available as buyer has other car issues to sort first so if you want a set get in touch.

Now that im back in a 130i im going to get some of the Stage2 plates onto what is otherwise stock suspension to see what camber it gives, im pretty sure nobody who has taken Stage2 plates has done this and all have M3 LCA or other mods, if not let me know :)

--

Poormans
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Poormans » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Those look splendid 8)
shooting brake

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”