130i Exhaust Valve Switch Modification

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Coxy2807

130i Exhaust Valve Switch Modification

Post by Coxy2807 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm

So I came across this video on Youtube the other day and I am intrigued by the modification the gentleman has done to his exhaust valve:-

[url][/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvdR7HLMcAurl]

(apologies if that doesn't work, search for 130i performance exhaust valve mod on Youtube).

He has wired in some sort of switch to the magnetic valve control to enable him to open the exhaust valve from the drivers seat, he can be seen doing this at around 2:40 in the video.

According to the comments:-

"The valve control is selfmade. I have connected two relays (changeover contacts) to the original BMW magnetic valve (its located under the left side piece of the trunk). The 3 way switch is mounted to the driver seat. So you can switch between opened valve, closed valve and serial condition (automatic mode). Maybe i can upload a "tutorial" video. ;-)"

He never made a tutorial video.

I think this would be a great modification to make. However my electronic engineering skills are non existent.

Has anyone else made this or a similar modification to their car?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: 130i Exhaust Valve Switch Modification

Post by marco_polo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Most people just leave the valve wide open, this is known parochially as 'The Golf Tee Mod'. http://www.babybmw.net/howtos/how_to_GolfTeeMod.pdf
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

sixpistons
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sixpistons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:58 pm

That's quite a cool mod. I know the golf tee mod is simple if you want it loud all the time, but I don't want drone on the motorway.
2007 130i, Birds B1, H&R anti roll bars, Quaife

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:19 pm

I'd stumbled across that video a little while back and was contemplating a performance exhaust. Sounded a bit complicated to me and besides I personally don't think I'd want the flap permanently closed. I just wanted to be able to choose between permanently open and 'active' (as intended to operate).

My thought process was roughly as follows:

Knowing that by disconnecting the plug in the boot the exhaust flap would remain permanently open...
I wondered if by figuring out which of the wires that went into the back of the plug provided the power...
Cutting said wire, extending, by running additional wires to the front of the car to a simple 2 way on/off switch...
I'd have a switchable exhaust flap???

I could never find wiring diagrams on t'internet for E8X's, annoyingly.

Would my idea work? Don't know!

Coxy2807

Post by Coxy2807 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

Going by the comment on the video the chap can set the valve to open, close and "automatic" which I guess is the standard active mode as you say. This would be perfect because as said above, I would probably be happy to just have the valve open for the noise but drone on the motorway would be tedious for long journeys.

Your solution sounds like it may work, I am useless with electrics, if you ever get round to giving it a try, let us know the results!

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

I’m afraid I’ve recently sold the car, so yours will have to be guinea pig!

Wiring diagrams would be handy, but I suppose not critical.

Could start by having a look at the plug, colours of the wires might be a clue. Perhaps with the use of a multimeter you might be able to determine what’s what. I wouldn’t class myself as brilliant with electrics.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”