Track Tyres what’s everyone running?

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Track Tyres what’s everyone running?

Post by Rustle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I am planning on renewing my rubber soon. For reference I run a square 225/18” set up and find it fine on the 130i. Thus far I’ve had a go with Pirelli road tyres (awful) and federal 595RSR’S on the 130. I found the RSR to be quite good but struggle with the weight after about 15mins into a session and start to squirm around.

I’ve used Avon zzr’s on an ep3 track car (very good), rain sports 3 as wets (excellent bang for buck but don’t think they’d work on a heavy bmw), Michelin cups (effing epic and 2secs a lap quicker at brands Indy than the zzr’s). Also used r888’s & 888r’s on a Clio race car this year, felt a lot like the zzr’s - but not much you can learn from these light cars that’s directly relevant to a 1 series.

I’m looking to set up three sets giving the changeable conditions we see here;

Current thinking is:

Dry and warm _ ideally Michelin’s cups or cup2’s. Direzza dz03g could be a possibility.

Dry but mid temps / damp - RSR’S currently until they die, then maybe ar1 or r888r. These warm up quickly but would have too high a wear rate for fully dry and warm I think.

Wets / winter / to and from track on road - MPS4. Ad08r possible but can’t see the cost difference over the Michelin’s seems worth it.

I’d like to consider used slicks and race wets but finding a tyre suitable for an 18” x 8” rim is nigh on impossible. Seems a 245 is possible but that is too wide for any of my current rims.

Was considering going to 17” style 68’s but running fours rear ally’s at 8.5” and et 50 with a 10mm spacer which I think could work. That would allow a 245 section tyre all round and open up a wider range of performance tyres at a slightly cheaper price than 18”. Anyone done this?

Any thoughts and practical experience appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Track Tyres what’s everyone running?

Post by THETYRANT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Michelin cups for dry, federal rsr for cold/damp but for full wet hard to say, I didn't mind rainsports on 135i for road but as you say prob struggle on track, ado8 is not good in proper wet and shame the toyo r1r is no longer available as they are very good in wet, maybe ps4 would work.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Tin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:37 am

dry stuff : direzza's once you get them hot enough :) Alot of track focused cars use these or slicks if your going that way..
cold damp & road : mps4s's

I tend to use AD08Rs for both dry and damp, as they come with alot of tread from new and last a long time, they also have a harder sidewall than the michelins too.
Certified Mod junkee :D

Birdseye1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Birdseye1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm
Michelin cups for dry, federal rsr for cold/damp but for full wet hard to say, I didn't mind rainsports on 135i for road but as you say prob struggle on track, ado8 is not good in proper wet and shame the toyo r1r is no longer available as they are very good in wet, maybe ps4 would work.
It's a different car, but my M135i melted a set of rainsports on a trackway despite being careful with the pressures. Wasn't sure what they were supposed to run at but were never more than 38psi and I had shreds of tyre falling away and laughable rear grip.

Can't give an opinion on dry tyres, but I've used michelin ps4 in the wet now on 2 trackdays and the grip they generate is awesome, it's also much less sensitive to pressures compared to say mpss. I'd highly recommend them, they're not too expensive and you don't have to be especially careful when driving to/from tracks.

Also from what I've read and given your OP, I would suggest maybe a mich cup2 would work in both dry warm/mid temp conditions? I could well be wrong but they deal with water better than previous generations and (again from what I've read) provided you can get some heat into them they should perform well.
2014 EB M135i - More mods than I had planned to do... :roll:

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 pm

Is the 135 much heavier than the 130? I guess turbo cooling gearbox brakes etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwilli
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jonwilli » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:53 am

Graearea wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 pm
Is the 135 much heavier than the 130? I guess turbo cooling gearbox brakes etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think its nearly 100kg heavier than an E81.
E81 BMW 130i
http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=75502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 am

Tin wrote:dry stuff : direzza's once you get them hot enough :) Alot of track focused cars use these or slicks if your going that way..
cold damp & road : mps4s's

I tend to use AD08Rs for both dry and damp, as they come with alot of tread from new and last a long time, they also have a harder sidewall than the michelins too.
Thanks Tin. I like a stiff sidewall, didn’t realise the MPS4’s would be softish. The cups I ran were very firm. Maybe the AD08r’s May be worth a shot.

By the way, where did you get your cage done. Custom job wasn’t it?

E87 '05 130i; BMWP Brakes, intake, & exhaust. birds arb's, quaife, meister R coilovers, m3 lca, goodridge lines, oz Ultraleggera and 595 RSR's.

Tin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 pm

Rustle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 am

Thanks Tin. I like a stiff sidewall, didn’t realise the MPS4’s would be softish. The cups I ran were very firm. Maybe the AD08r’s May be worth a shot.

cup2s have a stiffer sidewall, but ad08r's and r888rs are stiffer still :)
Yes, was a custom rear half cage. There is a chap on fb who does them for all the e8x/e9x range - his company name is GRID
Certified Mod junkee :D

Rustle
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Rustle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Tin wrote:
Rustle wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 am

cup2s have a stiffer sidewall, but ad08r's and r888rs are stiffer still :)
Yes, was a custom rear half cage. There is a chap on fb who does them for all the e8x/e9x range - his company name is GRID
Thanks mate. I’ve seen him Post on Facebook. Will give him a shout.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”