All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Chemtails
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Making power in a 120D

Post by Chemtails » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Heya there guys

I've recently been considering selling my120D and buting an integra or something like that but i've decided to look at the options.

I want more power, preferably somewhere in the mid 200s, car will be a street car, not for the track, just some fun mountain roads every once in a while.

So i'm wondering, how do I go about making that kind of power. What's the typical path to go? I have a fully stocked garge and i'm fairly mechanically inclined, but i've never worked on modern cars, or diesels.

I know the 123D is a the better platform for this but my bodywork makes selling it a complete loss so i'd be expensive.

Budget wise I have about two grand, how far would this get me? Where does the cost/perfomance sweet spot lie?

Thank you for the help

-Simon
e87 120d 2004, camber plates and a dent

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Making power in a 120D

Post by marco_polo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Geeto got reasonable results with his M47, 222bhp with a cunning custom FMIC & remap, iirc. That's the limit of the turbo though, basically.

After that (or before that if it was me), I'd be putting money into the suspension/tyres/brakes, and weight reducing mods. Make it stop and handle like an M3, and the power doesn't matter quite so much.

Geeto's thread: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=38537
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:17 pm
I'd be putting money into the suspension/tyres/brakes, and weight reducing mods.
I'd agree with this. It's a slippery slope when you start looking for power and often ends being frustrating as you just get used to small increases and then keep wanting more, whereas suspension/brakes/tyres all help you get the most out of what you have.

If I'm honest, I'd probably simply look to put that 2k towards a car that will hit the spot better from the off.

Chemtails
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chemtails » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Cheers Marco!

I already have some sticky rubber for summer, and i'm unsure about what suspension mods to go for outside of M3 LCAs that are worth it, coilovers ren't worth it in my opinion, unless they're setup for the track, and i use it a fair bit so that might not be ideal. what would you recomend?

Also, where is the bulk of the weight in these cars? I've stripped a few toys before but perhaps not the best in a car that's supposed to be comfortable and makes the horrible sound it does. Brakes wise I've heard the 135 brakes are pretty easy to slap on, might do that with some better pads, currently on EBC greens.
Barney McGrew wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 pm
If I'm honest, I'd probably simply look to put that 2k towards a car that will hit the spot better from the off.
Might do that instead to be honest, tune and a front mount and leave it at that.

Thank you guys, always help here when i ask for it :D

-Simon

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I'd be going B12 kit, M3 LCA's and front ARB, Rear subframe inserts, 135i/M135i front brakes, that sort of thing.

Any weight you can sensibly remove will help, but it is tricky if you don't want to ruin the car.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Chemtails
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chemtails » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 pm

I'll look into that.

Removing weight is difficult when you care about the car, yeah :D. never removed "a bit of stuff" whenever i try to, i end up thinking "oh, that can go too" and suddenly i don't have door panels or a dash.

is it worth going with inserts over full bushings? i know it's a pain to do but are inserts really that much easier?

Cheers

-Simon

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Inserts are infinitely easier! (And reversible too). Same result. White line inserts are usually the best price, but check powerflex and superpro too.

N.B. If you wanted a plug and play FMIC rather than copying Geeto's hard-pipe custom set-up, have a goose at https://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/produ ... eries.html

Chemtails
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Chemtails » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I'll take a look at that

Blimey 500 euro for a intercooler seems like a lump of money. Cheers for the recomendation, i need a new one anyway.

thank you

-Simon

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Yeah, big dollar. Unusual figment though, the M47.

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”