Baby BMW Forum banner

E87 130i Seat Removal - Wiring, resistors, fault codes etc

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Rustle 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share my recent experiences with installing bucket seats and harnesses in my 130i. As part of my 130i Clubsport project (in members cars forum) I have removed the seat belts and replaced them with harnesses. What I never expected was this to become a lesson in fault codes, auto electrics, resistors, and constant use of my Carly app. Not a great deal of info out there either so hope this condenses some of it into one place and helps someone along the way.

My car doesn't have heated or electric seats etc.

I'll also point out now that I've got one fault code to clear which is 009031 SBE.

So the stock seat has three elements in it. Air bag, pretensioner, and the buckle. All of them need treatment. So here's what I did.

Airbag _ quite simple really, just cut the loom and wire in an airbag resistor. On mine I used the recaro ones that came with some seat sub frames I bought a few years ago. They are expensive at ÂŁ45 and slightly time consuming to wire up as you need to fit the electrical wiring onto the pin contacts and then install those in the connector blocks. But they work. The Simoni Racing ones below will also do this job.

Pretensioner - (green and grey wiring) again just a resistor is needed. this caught me out a few times though as the resistor needs to be installed on the green wire for it to cancel the fault. This time I used the ÂŁ5 Simoni Racing ones from demon tweeks. No issues. I think the resistance values here were something like 2.3ohms.

Belt Buckle - (red and black wiring) now this was a proper b@#ÂŁ&rd to work out. No amount of resistors could fool this bad boy (I tried up to 400 ohm), it's some sort of active device. (I was getting resistance readings on 27Mohm on these wires when on the multimeter). It was throwing three fault codes on pas side, two on drivers. My solution, in the absence of any other capability or knowledge, was to tear apart the buckle and trace the wiring. This I did and I simply wired in the offending part. This has worked for all bar the one fault above, which I hope will be solved by the installation of a resistor within this circuit to mimic the belt buckle contact. Here's hoping,

I appreciate this isn't full of resistance values and massive technical input, I simply aren't that knowledgeable in electrics, just after the most practical situation for my goal which was to cancel all faults without resorting to coding (as I can't do that either!). I've almost got there. Hope it helps someone in the future.

Recaro (left), Simoni (middle), belt buckle

Belt buckle gubbins

Pretensioner wiring. Note resistor on green wire.

The innards of a seat buckle

And for the hell of it a shot of two Simoni resistors wired up to the steering wheel connectors, momo e90 boss, and the horn press from my Sabelt SW_465 steering wheel. Note you don't actually need to earth the horn cables to the boss like I have, it just suited me to do it. One day I will put a bullet connector on it.

The fault codes associated with the buckle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.