Covering number plate holes

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Post Reply
User avatar
CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm
Location: London

Covering number plate holes

Post by CynicalRobot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Hey All,

Sadly the dealer screwed my number plate to the front bumper right in the top left and right corners of the numberplate.

I am getting a smaller plate due to a shorter reg number and these holes will show :(

My plan was to get some screw cover caps and paint them mineral grey to match the car and then find a way to secure them over the holes just to make it somewhat better then having holes showing. My long term aim is to get the holes filled in and have a pro respray the bumper. This is more me trying to bodge it so i can use my new plate :)

Can i ask how is best to stick these over the holes? I was going to use some kind of glue, can anyone recommend anything that is suitable? is there anything that can be removed later down the line with just a heat gun?

Thank you!
2016 BMW M135i LCI

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by RBS Bob » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Image

With a screw through the existing hole.
Last edited by RBS Bob on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI. KTM Duke 2 640.

User avatar
CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm
Location: London

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by CynicalRobot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm

RBS Bob wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Image

With a screw through the exiting hole.
I cant see your pic dude but that does sound like the best idea if i can make it work, ill give it a try!
2016 BMW M135i LCI

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by RBS Bob » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Click on the 'image' word and it should open up.
2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI. KTM Duke 2 640.

RBS Bob
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by RBS Bob » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:27 pm

CynicalRobot wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm
RBS Bob wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Image

With a screw through the exiting hole.
I cant see your pic dude but that does sound like the best idea if i can make it work, ill give it a try!
It's how I have covered mine till the fill in and respray next month.
2015 135i F20 Auto Alpine White Red Leather. 1992 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI. KTM Duke 2 640.

boost monster
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by boost monster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I’ve done this
On my old 5 series I countersunk the holes and sprayed painted the screws until eventually getting it done professionally. It looked ok. On my recent 135 purchase I painted some m4 button head screws fitted them in the holes. It looks better than the holes but not great. Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by Ezzra » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 pm

boost monster wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I’ve done this
On my old 5 series I countersunk the holes and sprayed painted the screws until eventually getting it done professionally. It looked ok. On my recent 135 purchase I painted some m4 button head screws fitted them in the holes. It looks better than the holes but not great. Image


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not great :(

Why not just get it professionally done??
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

boost monster
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by boost monster » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 pm

I will get done professionally as I did with my last car but I’ve only had the car 4 days so not really enough time to organise.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 19072
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: In The Land Of The Romps

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by Octavius » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 pm

boost monster wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 pm
I will get done professionally as I did with my last car but I’ve only had the car 4 days so not really enough time to organise.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would have TOLD them not to fix the plates if you were putting smaller ones on.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

User avatar
Dan_Mol
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK
Contact:

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by Dan_Mol » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Dealer added an additional two screws at the very edge of my front number plate. Leaving me with 4 holes after they were instructed to stick not screw.

I’m having them plastic welded and painted beginning of May. Personally I would stick with full size plate until you can get it done properly.

User avatar
CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 pm
Location: London

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by CynicalRobot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Dan_Mol wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm
Dealer added an additional two screws at the very edge of my front number plate. Leaving me with 4 holes after they were instructed to stick not screw.

I’m having them plastic welded and painted beginning of May. Personally I would stick with full size plate until you can get it done properly.
Ive decided to stick to a full size plate for now until i can get it done right :P
2016 BMW M135i LCI

User avatar
Dan_Mol
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 pm
Location: Cumbria, UK
Contact:

Re: Covering number plate holes

Post by Dan_Mol » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 pm

CynicalRobot wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 pm
Ive decided to stick to a full size plate for now until i can get it done right :P
Good choice, it’s annoying when you have the shortened plate waiting to go on. I got impatient so have shortened on rear and full size front until it goes to get sorted in a couple of weeks.

Worth it for a nice flush bumper.

Post Reply

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”