Looking for better brakes, too many options.

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Zombie_Head

Re: Looking for better brakes, too many options.

Post by Zombie_Head » Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm
Have you asked Quarry Motors if they have any?
They have them in stock, very good price, thank you for recommending me to check with them, will be finalizing the details this week.
2012 E82 125i - VIN 51467 - 330i/130i front discs (330x24) - Alpine White - Brown Leather

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Ace, glad I could help. :thumbs:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:48 pm
Ace, glad I could help. :thumbs:
Just out of curiosity, would the M-Performance front discs work for me in this case?

They are 338x32mm, i think not but just asking, looking at disc options.
2012 E82 125i - VIN 51467 - 330i/130i front discs (330x24) - Alpine White - Brown Leather

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm

No definitely not, you need 330 x 24mm discs.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Tue May 22, 2018 8:32 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm
No definitely not, you need 330 x 24mm discs.
Thank you for the confirmation.

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Got a quick question, do you think that the factory 300x24 fronts coupled with EBC yellowstuff and good fluid is enough for track days/daily? Or are the front discs just too small to handle the heat?

I am asking because i may have been suddenly limited financially to what i can and can not do, and just in case if the worst happens and i have no choice but to sell the car, i can sell it with OE brakes and without some 330i conversion (or book at a DIY workshop and replace the discs back to stock/factory).

Thank you.

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Thu May 31, 2018 6:59 am

That all depends on how you use you brakes on track ?
I personally would go for something a bit more aggressive
RS29’s , Carbotech’s , ds2500.

Yellow stuff ain’t a bad pad but they are not much better than oem .
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

Graearea
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Graearea » Thu May 31, 2018 8:02 am

What everyone has said is totally on the money. I've got carbotech xp8 pads which I fit on track days and leave yellowstuff in the rest of the time. Yellowstuff really are a budget performance pad and you pretty much get what you pay for. The xp8 pads have got much much more bite and should last longer. But you pays your money....
Of course this is a massive slippery slope as the next thing you need is better suspension, then a diff, then more suspension, etc
Good luck, and don't forget to tell your insurer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 am

Zombie_Head wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 pm
Got a quick question, do you think that the factory 300x24 fronts coupled with EBC yellowstuff and good fluid is enough for track days/daily? Or are the front discs just too small to handle the heat?

I am asking because i may have been suddenly limited financially to what i can and can not do, and just in case if the worst happens and i have no choice but to sell the car, i can sell it with OE brakes and without some 330i conversion (or book at a DIY workshop and replace the discs back to stock/factory).

Thank you.
I had 300x24 on my E87 and cooked them, I think the 330 conversion would be the better choice.

You might get away with the tiny discs if you spend some money on additional cooling vents/hoses?

Have you already bought the 330i Carriers and discs?

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 am
Zombie_Head wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Thank you.
I had 300x24 on my E87 and cooked them, I think the 330 conversion would be the better choice.

You might get away with the tiny discs if you spend some money on additional cooling vents/hoses?

Have you already bought the 330i Carriers and discs?
I was just asking as a precaution, i already got the OE 130i/330i front discs (solid) and just purchased the carriers as well (not yet delivered).

If the worst happens, i can just go back to OE setup, will be holding onto the 300x24mm OE discs just incase.

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:09 am

Wanted to give you guys and update.

I ordered the 130i/330i front discs and caliper carriers, had to get brand new ones (expensive) from BMW since the used carriers i ordered from the UK turned out to be stock 125i ones.

Combined with EBC yellow pads, i followed the brake in procedure by the book and honestly they were rubbish when cold or hot on track.

After removing the pads, they were signs of overheating, cracking, glazed etc. Lucky for me, i also had some Ferodo DS Performance pads with me.

After swapping pads, the car stops on a dime now. I had to re-learn how to break, since i could break so much later on track it was silly, i believe i was even hitting close to 1.8+g when braking with this setup.

Only issue with Ferodo pads, they do leave pad residue behind, but it is something i can live with at the moment, i plan to get some Endless MX72s with those bigger discs.

I also went ahead and got a software tune, car put down 254hp at the flywheel and 234hp at the wheels and there was an air leak between the airbox and intake manifold hose (got that sorted now) and will have another dyno, i suspect about 10hp difference now.

Also went to KW and had them install V3s, the dealer/installer used a weird setup that i really did not like on track or on daily roads. So i readjusted them to KWs "out of the box setup (9 rebound front and back, 5 bump from and 6 bump rear) and the car is just transformed on public roads, it feels like there are massive weights on the front wheels and on the rear, very planted yet subtle.

I appreciate your help with the brake upgrade (oh, and i have Castrol SRF react in the system as well).

As of now, there are some cosmetic fixes i wish to address (minor bumper paint, have the car paint corrected etc).

In terms of upgrades, im not sure where to go. If i get new sway bars it will make sense to get a LSD and get the rear subframe bushing upgraded to M3 ones, which all together can be expensive. I also wish to change those seats, they are rubbish on track, Recaro Poles are what i am shooting for, they also have huge weight savings. Not sure if i should do M3 front arms with the LSD + bars + bushings or not, i like to put more track time during the nice weather.

Winter looks like will be busy for me, also considering 235 or 245 squared setup (more grip) so new wheels are also being considered, lets see.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 am

M3 front arms would be my priority. Save yourself a fortune in front tyres, plus all the dynamic improvements of course.

If front seats are a bit expensive/troublesome, have a look into CG Locks to hold you in place. That's what most of us do on track.

Zombie_Head

Post by Zombie_Head » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 am

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 am
M3 front arms would be my priority. Save yourself a fortune in front tyres, plus all the dynamic improvements of course.
According to my KW installer, he was able to get -1.7 camber front and -1.5 rear. I do not see the alignment pin, he may have removed it when he ordered new mounts front and rear.

Those M3 arms will add another -0.75 camber up front if i am not mistaken, that will be a bit much on a mostly street car no?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 am

-1.7 should be fine.

If front seats are a bit expensive/troublesome, have a look into CG Locks to hold you in place. That's what most of us do on track, works like a 2 point lap harness.

An cheap test to see if a CG Lock could work for you is to buy a plastic seatbelt clamp (designed for Baby seats). They can be picked up for next to nothing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183062261593

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”