open trunk automatically :)

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: open trunk automatically :)

Post by mylney » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:26 pm

I've fitted the springs. But it only pops my boot by maybe an inch n half then stops :(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

blabley

Post by blabley » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:18 pm

mylney wrote:I've fitted the springs. But it only pops my boot by maybe an inch n half then stops :(
Dohh! What springs did you use in the end? and how did you attach them?
...I’m cycling from London to Nice, via Paris & Geneva for Alzheimer’s, www.blabley.org/cycle

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Be a little careful when selecting huge spring rates this time of year, the struts' power is reduced in winter as the fluids thicken up. Might cause trouble come the summer?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I used V20x25, the link that you attached above mate. Do you think that's too much power for the summer mate?
1. pop the safety clip out using a little flat head screwdriver.
2. Then it just pulls of the ball joint attached to the boot.
3. Get a pair of mole grips around the bar of the gas ram and twist the end of with a pair of pliers.
4. Slide the spring on.
5. Twist the end back on.
6. Pop it back onto the ball joint.
7. Re attach the safety clips either side and hey presto

Lee_2f2f

Post by Lee_2f2f » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:48 pm

sonicvanman wrote:After i did the boot spring mod, i have removed them as it was putting presser on my rear light clusters & every time i slammed the boot shut the glass would slammed on to the lights & have now cracked them, after i removed the springs the glass doesnt touch.

so no more easy access to the boot :( it came in very handy.
^^^ This, is why I will not fit springs to the struts, and also don't recommend it, struts have been known to fail with this mod.
Gone: 09' 120d MSport, catched at 198bhp, Miltek, K&N, CSL Reps, BMWP parts, coding, & more.
Now: 05' E46 318ci Cabrio, dark Bloo, many options, and mods will come in time.

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm

As we speak I am removing this mod lol.

blabley

Post by blabley » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Cheers all
...I’m cycling from London to Nice, via Paris & Geneva for Alzheimer’s, www.blabley.org/cycle

Gilbert
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gilbert » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Think i may of found a solution to this with some custom made struts with a higher pressure. Just waiting on the guy to get back to me as i sent him across all the dimensions etc this afternoon.

Will keep you posted once he's got back to me and if enough people are interested i could maybe talk to them about a possible group buy?
E81 118d M Sport Le Mans Blue
Bilstein B12's - Brembo 6 pots - Darkline Rear Lights - ssdd Carbon Mirrors - Camber Pin Mod - Anthracite 206m's - Gladen Audio Upgrade Kit

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:24 am

Gilbert wrote:Think i may of found a solution to this with some custom made struts with a higher pressure. Just waiting on the guy to get back to me as i sent him across all the dimensions etc this afternoon.

Will keep you posted once he's got back to me and if enough people are interested i could maybe talk to them about a possible group buy?
The problem you may have there is that your putting too much pressure on the top hinges and ball joint. I used to deal with gas rams. What newtons have you gone for? Let me know how you get on

Gilbert
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gilbert » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am

mylney wrote:
Gilbert wrote:Think i may of found a solution to this with some custom made struts with a higher pressure. Just waiting on the guy to get back to me as i sent him across all the dimensions etc this afternoon.

The problem you may have there is that your putting too much pressure on the top hinges and ball joint. I used to deal with gas rams. What newtons have you gone for? Let me know how you get on

I wasn't actually sure what newtons the standard ones use so the guy was going to find out and then figure out a safe increase. No doubt it'll be a case of trial an error but i think this is the only way its possible without all the problems people have been experiencing with the springs. I see what your saying about the extra strain, i'd hope it'd be fine on the lower bracket as its metal but you got me worried about the plastic balljoint fitting at the top now haha.

I'll update once we make some progress.
E81 118d M Sport Le Mans Blue
Bilstein B12's - Brembo 6 pots - Darkline Rear Lights - ssdd Carbon Mirrors - Camber Pin Mod - Anthracite 206m's - Gladen Audio Upgrade Kit

oliver

Post by oliver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:43 am

Isn't a linear actuator the simple solution? You wouldn't have any strain whatsoever.

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 am

I wasn't actually sure what newtons the standard ones use so the guy was going to find out and then figure out a safe increase. No doubt it'll be a case of trial an error but i think this is the only way its possible without all the problems people have been experiencing with the springs. I see what your saying about the extra strain, i'd hope it'd be fine on the lower bracket as its metal but you got me worried about the plastic balljoint fitting at the top now haha.

I'll update once we make some progress.[/quote]

Ha ha, I do agree though it probably is the only safest way of doing this, without damaging anything. If you can get the balance right. You'll have to let me know how much you pay for them, might be able to get them cheaper. I would love this mod as it would help a lot with carrying boxes to the boot, also it would look very smart

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 am

oliver wrote:Isn't a linear actuator the simple solution? You wouldn't have any strain whatsoever.
What's this mate? Are they expensive, easy to fit?

mylney
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mylney » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 am

Would you have to link it with your boot release 12v supply though in order for it to activate at the right time?

oliver

Post by oliver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah surely it can be done, they do it in US all the time. There will be a place in the UK but it will obviously cost a lot more than springs, however you won't be breaking struts and brake lights!

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”