Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Sensisimon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: open trunk automatically :)

Post by Sensisimon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 am

SeventyThree wrote:
verysideways wrote:
A2H GO wrote:Having read this thread, it just sounds to me like modding for the sake of modding.

The only practical benefit of this is that you don't have to use your arm for a split second to flick the boot lid open.

Downsides are you press the button whilst in motion and the boot lid springs up. Pretty pointless IMO.
Yep, you've missed the point COMPLETELY.

When the car is dirty and you've got shopping to put in the boot, rather than getting your hands dirty by using the boot badge you can simply pop the boot open with your key fob button.
You can then swing the bootlid closed using the handle on the inside.

And when the engine is running the key fob button doesn't work.
i think commented early on in the thread, but my biggest fear would be going out to my car and finding my bootlid wide open. I have in the past done this with my keys in the pocket, with my car parked outside the house or work where the i cant see my car, buts within range.
I'm pretty sure that the boot open button only works when the car is unlocked first so you would have to accidently press the car unlock button then boot button in order, which is unlikely. It's bucketing down outside so can't check if this is correct.
120d ///M-Sport | Black M6 Wheels | Bluefin Remap | MV Sport Exhaust | BMWP Short Shift | BMWP Pedals | Cruise Control | Auto-Lights | Full PDC | Parrot CK3000 | Black Grills | Blackline Rear Lights | Rear Tints | Aero Spoiler | Short Aerial |

Sensisimon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sensisimon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 am

BTW I installed this mod a while back and removed it yesterday. The mod broke one gas strut and cracked a taillight.....
120d ///M-Sport | Black M6 Wheels | Bluefin Remap | MV Sport Exhaust | BMWP Short Shift | BMWP Pedals | Cruise Control | Auto-Lights | Full PDC | Parrot CK3000 | Black Grills | Blackline Rear Lights | Rear Tints | Aero Spoiler | Short Aerial |

SilverSun
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SilverSun » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 am

Sensisimon wrote:BTW I installed this mod a while back and removed it yesterday. The mod broke one gas strut and cracked a taillight.....
I had the same experience its more agro than its worth. Replace them in pairs if your going to.

Installing in pairs keeps the force even between them. Often replacing just one strut causes the older strut to quickly fail, I've learnt this first hand!!

StewartFinley
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by StewartFinley » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 am

Removed mine and the struts squeak like hell, where are you getting new struts from? Kev at Cotswold wants £80 for pair.
BMW E81 120d SE Titanium Silver
Boston Leather Interior | Sport Seats | Parking Sensors | Bluetooth Phone | Gtechniq : EXO Sealed Paintwork, G1 Sealed Glass, C6 Matte Dash, I1 Coated Carpet, L1 Leather Gaurd | LED Interior Lights |

oliver
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by oliver » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 am

For the coupe you can get a 12v linear actuator to do this task....I think it's the only way.

Coding would be required to make fob button reverse the actuator....I will do this is the summer when I've got some spare time. It can be done though, they do it in the states all the time.

This would mean NO stress on struts, NO stress on tail lights, NO wear and tear, NO springs to rely on.

something like this:

Sensisimon
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sensisimon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 pm

SilverSun wrote:
Sensisimon wrote:BTW I installed this mod a while back and removed it yesterday. The mod broke one gas strut and cracked a taillight.....
I had the same experience its more agro than its worth. Replace them in pairs if your going to.

Installing in pairs keeps the force even between them. Often replacing just one strut causes the older strut to quickly fail, I've learnt this first hand!!
I've only replaced one at a cost of £36 from BMW. Hopefully the other one will be alright. The strut itself was alright but I stretched the clip of the ball and cup socket when removing it so the strut kept coming loose and hence the cracked tail light.

What the how to's don't mention is that you don't need to take the clip completely off to remove the strut from the boot lid. This causes more work as it's difficult to push back on and there is a risk of stretching the clip like I did. You only need to lift the clip slightly with a flat head screw driver and the cup will come away from the ball socket. It then pushes straight back on.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

London Rundem
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by London Rundem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:00 am

HI All,

Does anyone know if this MOD can be done to a :

Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo Touring 2011 model. , with the same springs that are used on the 1 series?

Original - shock SZ 8010.20 x 32 tailgate Springs?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0738115388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Help would be much appreciated as company acrros from mine saw my MOD and wants his estate done and then thats £20.00 in my pocket for fitting it :D

Tonyrans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tonyrans » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:03 am

does anybody know if you can get this and what you need for a coupe? if its possible that is lol
2008 E82 Msport sedona red

London Rundem
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by London Rundem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 am

SilverSun wrote:

I have noticed that If you don't line up the ball joint heads at the bottom and the top of the struts properly and when I mean line them up im saying religiously :worship1: this is when it comes off and attacks the tail light. I however have been very lucky because they havent cracked my tail light.

Mine came off twice in the last 2 weeks , thats when I took them off and re lined them up , also if like me you completely removed the black clips off and stretched them a bit too much grab a pair of heavy duty pliers and give the clips a good squeeze top and bottom I found that the struts dont come off anymore. :)

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Tonyrans wrote:does anybody know if you can get this and what you need for a coupe? if its possible that is lol
wouldnt bother you need linear actuators. i may attempt it if i get really bored.

Tonyrans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tonyrans » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:56 pm

oliver wrote:
Tonyrans wrote:does anybody know if you can get this and what you need for a coupe? if its possible that is lol
wouldnt bother you need linear actuators. i may attempt it if i get really bored.

lol whats a linear acutulateor sounds like something out of back to the future? lol
2008 E82 Msport sedona red

oliver

Post by oliver » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:44 pm

oliver wrote:For the coupe you can get a 12v linear actuator to do this task....I think it's the only way.

Coding would be required to make fob button reverse the actuator....I will do this is the summer when I've got some spare time. It can be done though, they do it in the states all the time.

This would mean NO stress on struts, NO stress on tail lights, NO wear and tear, NO springs to rely on.

something like this:

It's like a solenoid motor. :lol: nothing to do with a flux capacitor.

Thelastosirus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thelastosirus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 am

Sensisimon wrote: I'm pretty sure that the boot open button only works when the car is unlocked first so you would have to accidently press the car unlock button then boot button in order, which is unlikely. It's bucketing down outside so can't check if this is correct.
Nope. You can open the trunk at anytime the car is not moving, locked or unlocked. I quite often pop it open from the fob while the motor is running and the key is in my pocket. The only requirement is you have to hold the button down. Some markets such as South Africa have "double locking" features. But I have no clue what they are.

2011 123d Alpine White M-Sport MT - power windows, power steering, and power door locks!

Lee_2f2f

Post by Lee_2f2f » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am

I can not open the boot unless the car is unlocked first?
Gone: 09' 120d MSport, catched at 198bhp, Miltek, K&N, CSL Reps, BMWP parts, coding, & more.
Now: 05' E46 318ci Cabrio, dark Bloo, many options, and mods will come in time.

oliver

Post by oliver » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Don't you hold the boot open button?

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”