My Suspension quest! 130i

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Took the car to work today and its certainly softer at the rear which im sure the family will like, handling still feels nice and the uprated dampers giving a firmer than stock feel but not as sharp feeling as the springs, I need to do more miles myself to get a better handle on things though to see if I change anything else...if its all staying as is then need to decide if I do same on front and refit stock springs, I hate changing front springs especially the standard banana shaped ones so will be doing some more miles as is and see how we go before I change anything else.

Also bought another handling today upgrade by pure chance, was partaking in a thread today on here about fitted M3 ARB and which parts needed etc and then did a quick Ebay search see what was out there, up pops a juicy E93 28mm front ARB complete with brackets and bushes etc, price was bit steep so made cheeky offer which was accepted :D

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Poormans
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by Poormans » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:43 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm
..I hate changing front springs especially the standard banana shaped ones..
Leaf springs? :D
THETYRANT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Also bought another handling today upgrade by pure chance, was partaking in a thread today on here about fitted M3 ARB and which parts needed etc and then did a quick Ebay search see what was out there, up pops a juicy E93 28mm front ARB complete with brackets and bushes etc, price was bit steep so made cheeky offer which was accepted :D
Score! :spotman:
shooting brake

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am

After many months of putting my suspension upgrade off I have gone ahead and ordered some Koni sports. I can't wait to get them! I'll be running them with stock springs and shorter Koni bumpstops in the rear and performance ones in the front.

What would be the ideal damper settings for the sports? Would quarter turn from soft be enough or it be better to go a touch higher?
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am

kas206 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am
After many months of putting my suspension upgrade off I have gone ahead and ordered some Koni sports. I can't wait to get them! I'll be running them with stock springs and shorter Koni bumpstops in the rear and performance ones in the front.

What would be the ideal damper settings for the sports? Would quarter turn from soft be enough or it be better to go a touch higher?
Nice one I think you will be happy with it, damper setting wise if its just road use and stock springs start on full soft or +90deg an go from there, rears obviously not so easy to adjust but after some tinkering on last car I found full soft was fine so doubt you will need to alter that, I did have them at +180deg for a time on last 130 which worked ok as well but that was on firmer Eibach springs.

Im going to get some miles on today and tomorrow and then decide if Im going to refit msport front springs, I think I am as ive gone a bit too sporty for what car does and realised comfort is more important to me these days as long as car still feels nice to drive.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:23 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 am
kas206 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am
After many months of putting my suspension upgrade off I have gone ahead and ordered some Koni sports. I can't wait to get them! I'll be running them with stock springs and shorter Koni bumpstops in the rear and performance ones in the front.

What would be the ideal damper settings for the sports? Would quarter turn from soft be enough or it be better to go a touch higher?

Nice one I think you will be happy with it, damper setting wise if its just road use and stock springs start on full soft or +90deg an go from there, rears obviously not so easy to adjust but after some tinkering on last car I found full soft was fine so doubt you will need to alter that, I did have them at +180deg for a time on last 130 which worked ok as well but that was on firmer Eibach springs.

Im going to get some miles on today and tomorrow and then decide if Im going to refit msport front springs, I think I am as ive gone a bit too sporty for what car does and realised comfort is more important to me these days as long as car still feels nice to drive.

Ian
Not being able to adjust the rear without taking them out bothers me a little. I won't be putting them in my self and could get costly if I'm not happy with it. The front should be fine as they are adjustable from the top.

I'm looking for a balance of performance and comfort. A family member has just bought a 120d E87 sport and I was shocking how much better that car rides compared to my 135i. It just soo much better at absorbing bumps. I have no idea what BMW thinking when they out this setup in the 135i! My car feels so unbalanced compared to the 120d.
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Well I put it back to Msport front springs this weekend :) was going to leave it another week but I had to take the undertray off to clean it out after it got oil inside it when changing engine oil, never had that before on any of my previous 1 series and always plenty of room with hatch removed for oil to clear when draining, this time for some reason it dripped into undetray making a right mess in that and then garage floor :(

Anyhow while car was up on axle stands to clean out undertray I was looking up at suspension and how easy to access the wishbones inner bolts ( which need to be loosened to drop dampers out) so I just cracked on and did it!

So now im on Koni Sport dampers front and rear along with Msport springs front and rear...and BMWP front and Koni rear bumpstops!, ride comfort is as good as its been now although obviously turn in is not as sharp as it was with the softer springs, still pretty good though and the M3 ARB I have coming should help improve things further once it arrives and I get it fitted after removing undertray again!

Im still not 100% on these 3series Koni rear dampers and while it feels good when pressing on having the extra damping at rear they offer, however pottering about choppy lake district roads today In family mode it was a tiny bit firmer than I would of liked, god im fussy! :D

Not sure if I should refit msport rear dampers and leave it like that for awhile or just get some 1series Koni for rear like I should of in first place!

If anyone wants some low mileage BMWP front springs and Koni sport rear dampers at good price get in touch :)

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Koni sports arrived today :spotman:

Image

Adjusting the fronts are straight forward, but how do you adjust the the back ones?
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Nice sell me the rears :)

Instructions should be included on how to adjust rears ? .....basically fully compress until you feel it key in then hold and rotate, instructions and video linked below

https://youtu.be/pDJD5ibZkV8

Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

Koni compress to adjust shock


8240 series Rebound Adjustment Procedures

1.Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.
2.Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.
3.Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.
4.The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.
5.Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.
6.Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

User avatar
tbt
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by tbt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Ian, is it really necessary to remove from the car or can you adjust with the lower attachment point still bolted?
I figure you would know if there was a shortcut by now, the amount of times you’ve adjusted!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 E87 130i BMWP Parts-[Exhaust/Intake/Fr & Rr Brakes/Strut Brace/SS Kit]
M3 Parts-[Rear Subframe/Rear upper arms/Front Tension & LCA]
Quaife LSD, Bilstein B12 kit, Megan Racing toe arms, E46 M3 trans mounts, CDV delete

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:23 pm

tbt wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm
Ian, is it really necessary to remove from the car or can you adjust with the lower attachment point still bolted?
I figure you would know if there was a shortcut by now, the amount of times you’ve adjusted!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could adjust on the car if you didn't have a bumpstop on damper rod, I guess yes you could leave bottom connected then undo top fixing and pop it out in wheel arch to remove bumpstop/dust shield and then compress/adjust, but as at that point its only 1 nut holding damper into lower arm so you might as well remove it fully to make adjustments rather than fighting on in wheel arch.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:00 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 pm
Nice sell me the rears :)

Instructions should be included on how to adjust rears ? .....basically fully compress until you feel it key in then hold and rotate, instructions and video linked below

https://youtu.be/pDJD5ibZkV8

Adjustment Procedure 76, 80, 82, 86, 87, 88, 90, 8040, 8240 Series

Koni compress to adjust shock


8240 series Rebound Adjustment Procedures

1.Remove the shock absorber from the vehicle and hold it vertically with the lower eye or pin attached in a vise. Use clamp plates to prevent damage.
2.Fully collapse the shock absorber, at the same time turning the dust cap or piston rod slowly to the left (counterclockwise), until it is felt that the cams of the adjustment nut engage in the recesses of the foot valve assembly.
3.Some shock absorbers include a bump rubber concealed under the dust cover and it must be removed prior to adjusting.
4.The damper may have already been adjusted. Therefore check whether the shock absorber is in the adjustment position or not by keeping it collapsed and gently turning it further to the left counting at the same time the half turns until a stop is felt. Stop turning then and do not use force.
5.Keeping the shock absorber collapsed, make 1 half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise). In case of prior adjustment add the number of half the turns previously found. The total range is about 5 half turns.
6.Pull the shock absorber out vertically without turning for at least 1 cm to disengage the adjusting mechanism. The dust cap or piston rod may now be turned freely.

Haha. I only just got them after months of putting them off. So is there a big difference between the E90 and E8X shock?

Just managed to adjust them using a a pair of mole grips. I was hard work work LOL.

Held down the rod with the grips with the rod facing away from me I twisted the shock all the way counterclockwise till it stopped and then twisted the shock clockwise 180 degrees. Does this sound right?

EDIT: Would 180 or 90 degrees be better for the msport shocks? You mentioned 90 in an earlier post
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 am

kas206 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Haha. I only just got them after months of putting them off. So is there a big difference between the E90 and E8X shock?

Just managed to adjust them using a a pair of mole grips. I was hard work work LOL.

Held down the rod with the grips with the rod facing away from me I twisted the shock all the way counterclockwise till it stopped and then twisted the shock clockwise 180 degrees. Does this sound right?

EDIT: Would 180 or 90 degrees be better for the msport shocks? You mentioned 90 in an earlier post
I don't think difference is huge between E9x and E8x rear damper but it does feel a touch firmer than I remember, kind of like 1series damper on +180 when 3series is on zero/full soft, not huge but im fussy and getting more comfort biased in my old age, it might just be my memory or difference in cars/spec etc but ive just ordered some 1series units to fit then I will know for sure either way!

To adjust the rears I use a allen key socket and small t-bar, fit this into top of damper rod to make it easier to push it down and hold then turn damper body once its locked into adjustment postion.

I cant remember which way to rotate it from memory but To check if you are working from full soft or full hard try it with damper adjusted fully in each direction, watch the speed the rod pushes itself back up, on full hard its very very slow to overcome gas pressure and rise, on full soft it rises much quicker.

Which setting depends how firm you want it, I would say start full soft or 1/4 turn from it (so +90deg) for comfort/road use and if you like it firmer 1/2 turn (so +180deg) should be plenty, of course you can go firmer still but think without stiffer springs it would be overdamped.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:58 am

THETYRANT wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 am
kas206 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:00 pm

Haha. I only just got them after months of putting them off. So is there a big difference between the E90 and E8X shock?

Just managed to adjust them using a a pair of mole grips. I was hard work work LOL.

Held down the rod with the grips with the rod facing away from me I twisted the shock all the way counterclockwise till it stopped and then twisted the shock clockwise 180 degrees. Does this sound right?

EDIT: Would 180 or 90 degrees be better for the msport shocks? You mentioned 90 in an earlier post
I don't think difference is huge between E9x and E8x rear damper but it does feel a touch firmer than I remember, kind of like 1series damper on +180 when 3series is on zero/full soft, not huge but im fussy and getting more comfort biased in my old age, it might just be my memory or difference in cars/spec etc but ive just ordered some 1series units to fit then I will know for sure either way!

To adjust the rears I use a allen key socket and small t-bar, fit this into top of damper rod to make it easier to push it down and hold then turn damper body once its locked into adjustment postion.

I cant remember which way to rotate it from memory but To check if you are working from full soft or full hard try it with damper adjusted fully in each direction, watch the speed the rod pushes itself back up, on full hard its very very slow to overcome gas pressure and rise, on full soft it rises much quicker.

Which setting depends how firm you want it, I would say start full soft or 1/4 turn from it (so +90deg) for comfort/road use and if you like it firmer 1/2 turn (so +180deg) should be plenty, of course you can go firmer still but think without stiffer springs it would be overdamped.

Ian
I adjusted it again last night. I left it at 90deg from soft. Hopefully get them put in this weekends. Thanks for your help.
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

User avatar
THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by THETYRANT » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 pm

No problem, ive just had word from Larkspeed they are out of stock on rears and awaiting fresh shipment from Koni HQ in Holland so i wont get mine until next week.

Cheers
Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

kas206
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: My Suspension quest! 130i

Post by kas206 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:56 pm

THETYRANT wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:53 pm
No problem, ive just had word from Larkspeed they are out of stock on rears and awaiting fresh shipment from Koni HQ in Holland so i wont get mine until next week.

Cheers
Ian
I probably got the last pair :lol:
2008 BMW 135i - M3 Control arms, Whitelines 2 piece SFB, Koni sports shocks. BMW performance carbon boot spoiler, DEPO V1, Darlines, NBT retrofit. BMW Performance gear knob & handbrake.

M3 front anti roll bar coming soon!

Post Reply

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”