370mm M performance Calipers - 125i

All other aftermarket mods

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: 370mm M performance Calipers - 125i

Post by Mike_RS » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:54 am

Well just thought I would give you all an update as its been awhile.

My Sparco spacers arrived last week, decided to go for 12mm fronts and 16mm rears as I wasn't sure how much clearance I would need for the new calipers! I was abit dubious about ordering 16mm for the rear and although they don't protrude from the arch I should have realistically gone with 12mm all around.. I decided to get the spacers on now to see how they look and ill be fitting the big brakes next weekend when I have more time.

For anybody who is interested in spacers the Sparco ones are absolutely superb, they are extremely light aluminium alloy which have new longer disc retaining bolts so they can be permanently mounted to the hub & longer wheel bolts included in the kit! The quality is fantastic too and half the price of Eibach and H&R!

Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Guys, having a absolute nightmare getting these brakes installed! I've been told I'll need a 5mm spacer to fit these under my 18" 261 wheels. I've got 12mm and they are still rubbing on the inside of the wheel! I've already bled them and I thought it was just a matter of bolting the wheels on and job done. So frustrated!

In the process of trying to install a braided hose I've twisted the steel brake line that comes from the master cylinder too so it's got a kink in the line, this will need to be replaced. Lucky it's the hose nearest to the master cylinder so routing the ridged metal hose hopefully won't take too long.

I know it's a long shot but does anybody have some 19" wheels they could lend me in th Manchester/ Wigan area so don't have to put my standard brakes back on?
Black sapphire metallic - E82 135i N55 - BMWP Exhaust - Suspension - Brakes - Carbon Mirrors - 18" 313 wheels with PS4's - Wagner Downpipe - Wagner Intercooler - LED Darklines

THETYRANT
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:56 pm

Thats a bit of a nightmare, im suprised they dont clear with 12mm spacers, are they rubbing on the back of spokes or the inside of the rim ?

If its inside of the rim then obviously spacers wont help but if its on back of spokes you need to work out how much more you need to move wheel out, if its only a fraction ive got some 3mm slip-on spacers left i think i could send you a couple to try. You could mock it up with some washers to see if 3mm is enough but its a bit fiddly.

Make sure to replace that twisted metal line as it could well crack.

Ian
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks for the offer Ian, just managed to return the car to standard, and the brakes are working for now!

It doesn't seem logical to twist the brake line itself off the hardline brake pipe as surely this would kink the brake hose? I was holding the brake hose with a spanner and started to undo the bottom hardline nut which seem to be twisting free with not too much effort. My hand was obscuring my vision to the hardline, so it's only after I did 4-5 turns I noticed the hardline was bent and twisted, couldn't quite believe it! :(

To top it off the calipers rubbed on the inside of the wheel, it's actually the brake pad lugs and possibly the top of the caliper. I can't understand it as Ben_GT had them on his 261 alloys with a 5mm spacer, so I have no idea what's wrong with mine. I was stripping the paint off inside of my alloys when I tightened the wheel bolts up so the only option I see is grinding the caliper down or grind the inside of the wheels, but I don't own a grinder and my wheels have been refurbed so I wouldn't want to damage them for the sake of bigger brakes.

Realistically I'll need to find some 19" alloys and its an expense I can't afford :( I've got 9 month old Hankook EVO 2 S1 tyres on my 18" wheels so I might have to bite the bullet and get these brakes up for sale, which pains me to say as I've made such an investment getting all the parts together for the install :(

On the bright side I now have larger backing plates with huge air scoops and new fluid :P

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Ben_GT fitted 340mm M135i fronts, no?

A photo of his:

I'm sure a local M135i owner would swap with you, with a few pounds going your way of course.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

THETYRANT

Post by THETYRANT » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Yeah they look like 340's to me, i couldn't of got 370 under my my 130 wheels.
--
Now on my 3rd 130i, this time a nice E81 in Graphite, Previously 2 x 130i and 2 x 135i

Camber plate project - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=96465

Suspension Quest thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=80208

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:52 pm

340's fit but 370's that you have won't , maybe try removing the pad weights and see if the caliper can be machined to suit.
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:11 pm

I always thought Ben had the 370's on his! I even messaged him before I bought them and he didn't correct me! lol
That said I'm sure I've seen 370mm calipers fitted under 18" 261 style wheels before.

I'll have to sleep on a decision to sell or to keep em and modify to fit..

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 am

So what's actually hitting what? Are the calipers hitting the inside of the spokes of the wheel or are they hitting that actual flat surface of the wheel?

As with a 12mm spacer, I can't see how they'd hit the spoke at all, I only ran a 5mm spacer on my 340's and even then I reckon I could of ran a 3.

Sounds like the pad weights are the problem and they do stick out a huge way, drilling them out would probably solve your issues. Or even grinding them down a bit.
2009 E82 135i Manual - MHD - Quaife Diff - BMWP Exhaust - VRSF DCI - Intercooler - Charge Pipe & Bov - Meister R's - M3 F&R Arms - Powerflex Bushes - Subframe inserts - AC S Type 3's - BMWP Strut Brace - Darklines - Spoiler

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:19 am

Danny_Boy wrote:So what's actually hitting what?
As I understand it, the 370mm calipers are hitting the 18" barrels. I don't think they'd fit under my BBS either.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:23 am

marco_polo wrote:
Danny_Boy wrote:So what's actually hitting what?
As I understand it, the 370mm calipers are hitting the 18" barrels. I don't think they'd fit under my BBS either.
Yeah from what I can remember, there was a good bit of room between the caliper and the barrel, but the massive weights stuck out a fair way. I reckon removing them would help as its only an extra 15mm of room to find? Whatcha reckon?

OP can you get the wheel on just it cannot spin? Or can't get it on at all? Really need more details
2009 E82 135i Manual - MHD - Quaife Diff - BMWP Exhaust - VRSF DCI - Intercooler - Charge Pipe & Bov - Meister R's - M3 F&R Arms - Powerflex Bushes - Subframe inserts - AC S Type 3's - BMWP Strut Brace - Darklines - Spoiler

Mike_RS
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mike_RS » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Danny_Boy wrote:So what's actually hitting what? Are the calipers hitting the inside of the spokes of the wheel or are they hitting that actual flat surface of the wheel?

As with a 12mm spacer, I can't see how they'd hit the spoke at all, I only ran a 5mm spacer on my 340's and even then I reckon I could of ran a 3.

Sounds like the pad weights are the problem and they do stick out a huge way, drilling them out would probably solve your issues. Or even grinding them down a bit.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know for certain the lugs on the brake pads are touching the barrel of the wheels as the paint on the alloys was gouged when the wheel bolts were tightened up. The face of the wheels have plenty of clearance with the spacers. From what I could see the top of the caliper was touching the barrel of the wheel too, so the caliper itself will probably need to be machined down. Does anybody know where would do this?

I was short on time and so frustrated by everything that went wrong on the day, I took them off fairly quickly after realising they wouldn't fit. I'll put them back on next weekend and take the pads out and see if the wheel spins freely. Then hopefully I'll have a better idea of how much clearance I'll need.

For the brief time I had them on they did look absolutely awesome behind the wheels! :D

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:26 pm

I wouldn't advise you go altering them much, effecting their strength and resonance?

R99
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by R99 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't think there are many 18" rims that will fit the 370mm's under! :(
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | Oyster Leather | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel |

Danny_Boy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Danny_Boy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 am

I still can't see the caliper hitting the wheel, as if you got the wheel on, I reckon it's all to do with the pad weights. I wouldn't want to start grinding down calipers personally, but I've known it to be done a couple of times.

Definitely try again dude with just the bare caliper and see how you get on, as the pad weights can be removed easily with a drill.

Good luck chap and take pictures!

Return to “Aftermarket modifications”