Baby BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Romp - Sunday 10th September 2017

16K views 145 replies 24 participants last post by  OneTwenty 
#1 ·
Northern Romp - Sunday 10th September 2017

Wanted to put this date out there for a Northern Romp meet. I've spoken to a few people who are interested, and as far as I know this hasn't been organised for this year yet?

More details to follow. In general terms it's a 120-odd mile run in the East Cumbria area taking in some outstanding scenery and roads, and with stops for food and standing around cars :lol2:

Please register your interest by adding your name below. All welcome, including non-BMW drivers!

1) bjt
2)
3)
4)
5)

#5 ·
I'm happy to go down as a maybe too [emoji106]

#7 ·
September is never a good time for me (ice skating competitions) - it needs to be moved back to July or even August.

#8 ·
redwizard said:
September is never a good time for me (ice skating competitions) - it needs to be moved back to July or even August.
Maybe next year Barrie when we have enough time to plan one in. Hasn't helped that Santa Pod has moved its BMW show to the July two years running. Hopefully normal service can resume next year.

Although as I recall on the July romp before last we had torrential rain on the journey home which was ****e. There's me trying to conserve fuel doing 56mph with no A/C, no lights, no wipers and then you cruise by waving like the bloody queen lol

Never have I wanted to put my foot down so much!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
RickN55 said:
Ahh bummer same weekend as my Peaks run
Could always make it a full weekend of hooning? I know I'd never get away with that but perhaps others are more fortunate :lol2:

MGauky said:
Count me in ...
Gutted i missed last year
Nice one Mark. Maybe we can convoy up with any other West Yorks/Manchester folk.

1) bjt
2) RONHULLOCK
3) DC11
4) JohnKimble
5) Japanred120d
6) MGauky

#14 ·
davidv111 said:
I would normally be up for this however:

Last year people's driving got far to aggressive dangerous and fast. Especially through the villages - I was and still am surprised that no one crashed or got pulled by plod.

So I don't think I feel comfortable to come again and be involved in the same thing again. I don't think it's worth it

So sorry lads but I'm out
I'll be doing nothing like that, but I very much doubt it'll happen here...

#15 ·
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience last year David. I wasn't able to attend, but I had guessed as much from some of the posts on here following last year's event.

Suffice to say, I also don't want to be involved in a run out where people are speeding through the villages, aggressively overtaking or using walkie-talkies to signal overtaking. A lot of the roads are more than challenging enough at the posted NSL, plus there's some amazing scenery to take in.

I would also encourage everyone to have the route in sat nav/Google Maps so that no-one feels pressure to keep up for fear of getting lost.

I had a great time at the Romp in previous years (particularly in 2014), as much for the food and chat as the driving. Hopefully we can recreate that kind of smaller, simpler, slower (!) event in September.

#17 ·
Just to draw a line under this (thanks for bringing it to my attention David), I now have a good idea of who the parties involved last year were. It's no-one that's currently signed up and I shouldn't think we'll see them in this thread either, now the issue's been raised.

Personally I have a laundry list of things to do before September and I'm away for two weeks in August, so I better get cracking...

E90 M3 front ARB
M3 transmission mounts
New rear tyres
Brake fluid change (maybe braided lines too)

Will start sending out further details, sorting arrangements for Sunday lunch etc in early August.

#18 ·
RickN55 said:
Ahh be abit too much for me all in one weekend being in Leicester.. 3+ hours to Cumbria alone for me :lol2:
Weak excuse - many of us have a 5+ hour drive to the start point, and drive home afterwards.

#19 ·
RickN55 said:
redwizard said:
RickN55 said:
Ahh be abit too much for me all in one weekend being in Leicester.. 3+ hours to Cumbria alone for me :lol2:
Weak excuse - many of us have a 5+ hour drive to the start point, and drive home afterwards.
Good for you want a medal?..
Nope, as it's really no big deal.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I haven't been on this forum since just after last years romp but it doesn't seem to have changed much... I've got to admit last year was my first time on the romp and to say I'd only had the car a few months I joined the many others who were driving like absolute lunatics however saying that I did love every minute of it and it showed me how much these cars can be pushed.
Anyway I have just seen the other meet that's set for the 9th of September and that's much closer to home so I'll probably go to that one rather than this - because not everyone likes to spend over £200 on fuel etc in a weekend and sit in a car all day. Unless this gets a big turn out like last year then I might consider it [emoji4]

#24 ·
I can't believe people are still moaning about last years romp, a year later. Everyone's said their piece and sat on their high horses let's move on. Pretty sure everyone on here has been guilty of driving a bit too quick at some point in their lives and afterwards though "probably shouldn't have done that". We all live and learn.

#26 ·
topuphere666 said:
Not a lot of interest. To be fair I can't afford to spend hundreds on fuel just to drive around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please make sure you leave the same patronising comment on all the other meet topics, and not just the UK ones... so we we all know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.