Baby BMW Forum banner

Yorkshire meeting

9K views 129 replies 19 participants last post by  Scorp 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone would be keen to meet in Yorkshire before New Year? We have two weekends to go. Let me know.

#2 ·
Really? :eek2:

The two weekends left are Xmas Day and NYE/Day - not sure having a car meet would be wise (for boozing) or go down too well with partners, family, kids. :lol2:

I imagine the roads would be very quiet on Xmas Day though!! :cool2:

#4 ·
Count me in I'm in Yorkshire :spotman:

I think January would be better espec if we go for a Sat or Sun when the weather is half decent

PS Holme Moss is on my doorstep + you can't beat the roads up + down it quite spectacular (it wasn't the Tour de France route for nothing) + a lovely traditional pub in Holme village for when you get hungry / thirsty :thumbs:

#11 ·
I'd be up for January too. I'm Harrogate as well

#13 ·
Jamhard said:
For info guys I'm in Penistone in South Yorkshire, anybody near there??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Holmfirth - a mere stones throw away

Best driving roads around here - Holme Moss and onto Snake Pass - often in the top 10 of UK's finest

#15 ·
robsaboy said:
Windy Hill Transmitter isn't far from me - could meet there and onward to Holme.... :drive:

Thanks for the link to the map yes I see exactly where you are

Didn't know it was called Windy Hill Transmitter but it makes a lot of sense that looks like the highest point on the M62

Just love these literal Yorkshire names - I live next door to Upperthong

Ho ho .... oh dear ..... :lol2:

And yes all those roads up there are great for a group meet and there's always Compos on Saddleworth moor side of Holmfirth (excellent fish n chips) to finish off with? :thumbs:

#16 ·
paddyboy said:
robsaboy said:
Windy Hill Transmitter isn't far from me - could meet there and onward to Holme.... :drive:

Thanks for the link to the map yes I see exactly where you are

Didn't know it was called Windy Hill Transmitter but it makes a lot of sense that looks like the highest point on the M62

Just love these literal Yorkshire names - I live next door to Upperthong

Ho ho .... oh dear ..... :lol2:

And yes all those roads up there are great for a group meet and there's always Compos on Saddleworth moor side of Holmfirth (excellent fish n chips) to finish off with? :thumbs
Are you in Lower Thong :lol2: Must be hard for people to keep not to laugh on the phone etc giving these addresses! I think Peter V isn't far away...

#17 ·
robsaboy said:
Are you in Lower Thong :lol2: Must be hard for people to keep not to laugh on the phone etc giving these addresses! I think Peter V isn't far away...
Yes with an Upperthong you may well assume there is also a Lowerthong just down the road but there isn't - rather we have a Netherthong instead!

Here's somebody who can explain better than me ................
"The name Upperthong may be derived from the Danish 'Thing' (a place of military gathering) - there is also a Netherthong - which suggests a link to the Viking invaders who took control of large areas of the North East of England. The name could also be derived from the Viking word 'thong', meaning a strip of land. Upperthong is set on higher ground than Netherthong, suggesting the names could refer respectively to an upper strip of land and a lower strip of land."

There's always plenty of novelty value in a name like Upperthong to people who've never heard it - could always be part of the meet n drive but I can assure its not very exciting when you get there just another Pennine village

And yes Peter V is also not far from these parts over in Marsden - I don't use him but he'd be my most local BMW indy

#19 ·
Jamhard said:
Eh up guys, Holme Moss sounds good for me and also Sunday more than Saturday. Also me from Hudds originally.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Good one Jamhard you more than welcome :thumbs:

What you driving? (You need a signature)

We are a 3 some so far

Either Saturdays or Sundays good for me

#20 ·
Paddyboy I'm driving a 2017 EB M240 with MP bodykit, also excuse my ignorance what do mean about needing a signature?

What is everybody else driving? And are the Harrogate boys not interested if it's around Holme Moss?

#22 ·
#25 ·
Jamhard said:
Paddyboy I'm driving a 2017 EB M240 with MP bodykit, also excuse my ignorance what do mean about needing a signature?

What is everybody else driving? And are the Harrogate boys not interested if it's around Holme Moss?
Did you get the signature sorted Jamhard? Top right of any page is your login name just click on that, then click Profile then you'll find a Signature link where you can add / edit a signature .... see what other people put - it will appear at the bottom of each one of your posts - just saves us having to ask you what you're driving :drive:

#26 ·
Mad_Mac said:
Jamhard said:
I would be happy to join you guys but I think we have to set the date first.
Not trying to hijack the Harrogate meet as I could do that 1 too as I'm regularly in Hgte

No reason why there can't be 2 Yorkshire meets? :spotman: :drive:

Maybe somebody just needs to wade in with a date suggestion and see what the response is?

(Just make sure there's no snow / ice or else I'll have to come in my Skoda Fabia with its winter tyres - the 130i is on summer rfts ) :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.