Baby BMW Forum banner

Anyone fancy Bedford - Sat 31st March

5K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  5678 
#1 ·
Planning on doing this day with Javelin, will be my first time taking the M2 out and I like the circuit.

Anyone else fancy it?

#27 ·
git-r2 said:
Can you share the Atom vid please?

My M135i would do sub 2:50 with a proper driver. I've not found many lap times to reference, the track changed so current times are only valid 2016 onwards.

£500 for a track day is very generous. Hopefully you'll find it cheaper than that :)
Sure, here's the link bud -
* edit - although I notice this is from 2014 and you mentioned track changes post 2016 so this may be useless to you.

As for cost? Well the only variable is the fuel and food and possibly pads (depends on me I guess) so maybe I've over calculated and may get away with 2 tanks, less food and no pads so maybe £400, but it's still an expensive past time lol

Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
If you're worried about there being too many cars on track MSV have lowest numbers for the cost of the track day. If you're planning to go regularly they also give 10% discount on every booking plus £600 of credit when buying a £500 voucher.

They are good to deal with if you have a problem. If your car breaks and you've only done a few laps they'll give you a credit for another day. I think they'd probably do the same for noise at Bedford.

Javelin are fine from my experience, they also do a voucher system similar to MSV.

Some organisers run ridiculously busy track days, I'd definitely suggest anyone booking their first track day google the organiser they use.

#29 ·
Twenny said:
Sure, here's the link bud -
* edit - although I notice this is from 2014 and you mentioned track changes post 2016 so this may be useless to you.

As for cost? Well the only variable is the fuel and food and possibly pads (depends on me I guess) so maybe I've over calculated and may get away with 2 tanks, less food and no pads so maybe £400, but it's still an expensive past time lol

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the link.

It's addictive too :twisted:

You can do it cheaper if you do a half day, I paid £54 for my last at bedford and probably used a tank in the afternoon.

#30 ·
git-r2 said:
Deadeye said:
GET INSURANCE
In twenty years of track days I've never seen anything as bad as that. Awful, so sorry to see that :(
Ive only ever seen two multicar incidents on track, one was a day we were actually running, some dick tried to outbrake someone and T-boned them. Fortunately was caught on camera so said dick was banned from club and sent home and we covered nearly all of the damage to the other lads car from a whip round.

The other one? Bedford, last week :(
Lad in the garage next to us had a 133hp Twingo, was on his first day and while he was slow was getting out of the way and doing the right thing.

He had a spin about halfway through the morning, his mate went past him ........ and the car following his mate somehow managed to lose control on the straight and smash into the side of him, poor lad.

Rule of thumb for me - if the car is worth more than about £2K the insurance is worth having.

#31 ·
My wife was supposed to be in the passenger seat but changed her mind about coming last minute. So my mate was supposed to be in the passenger seat but he said he wanted a cup of tea.

I had at least 1 broken rib, I shudder to think what injuries a passenger would have.

#32 ·
Deadeye said:
My wife was supposed to be in the passenger seat but changed her mind about coming last minute. So my mate was supposed to be in the passenger seat but he said he wanted a cup of tea.

I had at least 1 broken rib, I shudder to think what injuries a passenger would have.
Had someone come with you on that fateful day DE, especially your Mrs, there's a chance you'd have driven slightly differently, conservatively even, and you may of not even been where you were at that exact point in time.

But who knows. Just glad you're ok now mate.

#33 ·
Twenny said:
Deadeye said:

Had someone come with you on that fateful day DE, especially your Mrs, there's a chance you'd have driven slightly differently, conservatively even, and you may of not even been where you were at that exact point in time.

But who knows. Just glad you're ok now mate.

Maybe, I didn't normally hold back with passengers. You never expect to be hit at nearly 90 degrees on the apex (he actually ran over the apex cone).

As you say, we're all still alive, that's the main thing. Totally bent my car in half underneath so that was a write-off.

#34 ·
docwra said:
git-r2 said:
Deadeye said:
GET INSURANCE
In twenty years of track days I've never seen anything as bad as that. Awful, so sorry to see that :(
Ive only ever seen two multicar incidents on track, one was a day we were actually running, some dick tried to outbrake someone and T-boned them. Fortunately was caught on camera so said dick was banned from club and sent home and we covered nearly all of the damage to the other lads car from a whip round.

The other one? Bedford, last week :(
Lad in the garage next to us had a 133hp Twingo, was on his first day and while he was slow was getting out of the way and doing the right thing.

He had a spin about halfway through the morning, his mate went past him ........ and the car following his mate somehow managed to lose control on the straight and smash into the side of him, poor lad.

Rule of thumb for me - if the car is worth more than about £2K the insurance is worth having.
It's so rare to see thankfully. Almost every accident I see is due to bad car control. It's a shame because it's not something you can really learn on a track day and there are hardly any places to learn.

Add to that that a minority of bent police bully type instructor/marshals that make people feel scared to ask for help and you have all necessary ingredients for avoidable accidents to happen.

Also, certain organisers I'd strongly advise. PM me if you can't google.

Feel sorry for the poor lad in the Twingo :(

#35 ·
Deadeye said:

mate just read this, that is unbelievable, thanks that you didnt have a passenger, crazy! What about the driver of the other car?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
sawda said:
Deadeye said:

mate just read this, that is unbelievable, thanks that you didnt have a passenger, crazy! What about the driver of the other car?

He did one and Javlin weren't interested in putting me in contact although I did find out his name and I know roughly where he lives.

#37 ·
Deadeye said:
sawda said:
Deadeye said:

He did one and Javlin weren't interested in putting me in contact although I did find out his name and I know roughly where he lives.
What an absolute horror story.

I do hope you fed his details to his insurer. What's the chances he drove his car out to a public road and claimed it was a 'road accident'. Often done.

#38 ·
Deadeye said:
Maybe, I didn't normally hold back with passengers. You never expect to be hit at nearly 90 degrees on the apex (he actually ran over the apex cone).
+1, back in my drifty days I only ever used to crash when I had a passenger :lol2:

Youd hope that Javelin at least would have banned the guy, theres no excuse for that level of f*ckwittery.

#39 ·
docwra said:
Deadeye said:
+1, back in my drifty days I only ever used to crash when I had a passenger :lol2:

Youd hope that Javelin at least would have banned the guy, theres no excuse for that level of f*ckwittery.
They said they banned him.

He was also bollocked earlier in the day for speeding in the pit-lane - in reverse!!!

#41 ·
NISFAN said:
Deadeye said:
sawda said:

I do hope you fed his details to his insurer. What's the chances he drove his car out to a public road and claimed it was a 'road accident'. Often done.

Is it possible to hide an accident with our m135's though? I thought that once the airbag pops it automatically called the BMW assist through the SOS feature.

#42 ·
MartyB said:
NISFAN said:
Deadeye said:

Is it possible to hide an accident with our m135's though? I thought that once the airbag pops it automatically called the BMW assist through the SOS feature.

Yes it does, but it doesn't call out the emergency services. You answer "all under control" and that's the end of it.

#43 ·
NISFAN said:
MartyB said:
NISFAN said:

Yes it does, but it doesn't call out the emergency services. You answer "all under control" and that's the end of it.

Ok I never realised that!

#45 ·
MartyB said:
I remember seeing this on here a few years ago. It's one of the reasons I always insure my car on track. I've now got a road / track policy which covers unlimited trackdays!

Can I ask, who are you insured with?
Renewing my track policy soon.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.