Baby BMW Forum banner

Pistonheads Sunday Service - Santa Pod (7th May)

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  RedlineDrifter 
#1 ·
Any forum members going next Sunday? If so, you running your car down the 1/4?

#3 ·
I will be there. And hopefully running on the strip as long as tickets still available.
Just waiting to see how weather looks for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I'm free next Sunday but not sure which event to attend... Goodwood or the Pod... [emoji848]

Done Goodwood FOS a few years back and was at the BMW Show last year on the babyBMW stand..
Ran the car down the strip a few times too, it was really good fun [emoji1360]

Here's the links to vids I took;

Run 1:
Run 2:
Run 3:

#5 ·
n54_liam said:
I will be there. And hopefully running on the strip as long as tickets still available.
Just waiting to see how weather looks for it.

Be cool to line up against each other if you end up running. Tickets were still available yesterday when I bought my pass.

#6 ·
RedlineDrifter said:
I'm free next Sunday but not sure which event to attend... Goodwood or the Pod... [emoji848]

Done Goodwood FOS a few years back and was at the BMW Show last year on the babyBMW stand..
Ran the car down the strip a few times too, it was really good fun [emoji1360]

Run 1:
Run 2:
Run 3:
I'm looking forward to it, as it'll be my first time down the strip. Looks like you didn't use launch control. Did you get best results from just stomping on the accelerating from idle?

#8 ·
Ozmikeuk said:
RedlineDrifter said:
...Ran the car down the strip a few times too, it was really good fun [emoji1360]

Run 1:
Run 2:
Run 3:
I'm looking forward to it, as it'll be my first time down the strip. Looks like you didn't use launch control. Did you get best results from just stomping on the accelerating from idle?
Yeah mate, i just blatted it..
I wanted to use Launch control to get a comparison, but in practice I found there wasn't much time to configure it all before the bloke flicks the lights to green.. so I chose to feed the power in myself than clicking n holding buttons (after the other lane has already bolted!)..

Tried launch control a couple of times in the dry on a quiet B-road near me, wasn't all that impressed TBH... either got waaaaaaay too much wheel spin, or a very soft launch. Tried it several times and the system didn't appear to be at all sophisticated at 'learning' the grip (or frictional coefficient) of the surface.

#10 ·
Great event at the Pod today, weather held out too which was good. Glad I went to the strip instead of breakfast club - gave the car a chance to stretch its legs a bit :)

Big thanks goes out to the PH Team for another great event!

Will post my times in a bit and videos will be on YouTube soon [emoji1360]

So, who made it there in the end? Spoke to a few chaps with M135 / 140's.. anyone on here?

#11 ·
Hi mate i was in the white m140i think i spoke to you? I got a 12.2 in the end!

Really good day and weather! Love going pod especially when the que is that short

#12 ·
n54_liam said:

Really good day and weather! Love going pod especially when the que is that short

Hi mate, yep it was me! Good to meet you bud.

Wow, 12.2 is a really respectable time! Nice work [emoji1360]

I'll be posting the thrashing you gave me on YouTube shortly [emoji23]

#14 ·
RedlineDrifter said:
Here's my times from today's antics;

(2016 F21 M135i completely stock)

Not bad.

Your 60ft times should be much better at the Pod. Launch control is pretty useless to be honest.

You need to brake boost a bit. Thats where you press the brake to hold car still whilst pressing the accelerator.

I'd be surprised if revving out using auto didn't lose a little speed too. Using manual and shifting a bit early I think would be better.

n54_liam said:

12.2 is quick. What spec have you got for for that?

What was your terminal speeds?

#15 ·
Kerr said:
RedlineDrifter said:
Here's my times from today's antics;

(2016 F21 M135i completely stock)

Not bad.

Your 60ft times should be much better at the Pod. Launch control is pretty useless to be honest.

You need to brake boost a bit. Thats where you press the brake to hold car still whilst pressing the accelerator.

I'd be surprised if revving out using auto didn't lose a little speed too. Using manual and shifting a bit early I think would be better.
Yep, I picked up that a few were using that technique to launch the car.. will defo be doing this next time!

And as if to prove the point re: launch control feature being a pile of tosh, my last run of the day was using LC and it was the worst run by far.

TBH, I'm kinda glad it's not a 1-button operation to launch the car perfectly every single time.. the driver experience should be more involving and not less so IMO.

#16 ·
Kerr said:
n54_liam said:

12.2 is quick. What spec have you got for for that?

What was your terminal speeds?
Thanks mate terminal speeds were 114-116 pretty happy considering it only has jb4 at the minute and was on runflats.

Got 60 ft down to 1.9 by end of the day defo capable of 1.8s.

#18 ·
Nice one mate. I didnt realise i pulled away like that tbh. Car was running so well on sunday!
Looking forward to bmw show now!

#20 ·
RedlineDrifter said:
n54_liam said:
Nice one mate. I didnt realise i pulled away like that tbh. Car was running so well on sunday!
Looking forward to bmw show now!
Yeah I know! I thought it seemed to feel closer than the video suggests..

Hope to see you at BMW Show mate [emoji1360]
Meant to add... needless to say the result of a stock M135i vs M140i JB4 race was completely inevitable!

Could be interesting to see how big the gap might be with us both running only JB4.. I mean I know it would be closer, but how close?!

I had looked at JB4's in the past but dismissed it (along with all other mods) while the car is still under warranty. Am I right to assume that fitting one may affect the car's warranty if something went pop under the bonnet and BMW were to find out?

Worked in OE vehicle software for 10yrs so I know they are very clever at recovering data from customer cars in general.. but particularly when there is a pending warranty claim!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.