How secure is my password?

This area contains links to useful sites: online shopping retailers, useful maps, interesting articles etc. Its NOT a discussion area

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

rob
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

How secure is my password?

Post by rob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:25 pm

LINK REMOVED

Want to know how 'strong' your passwords are? :wink: (No idea how accurate this site is, or what they mean by 'a desktop PC').
Last edited by rob on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(It's here...)

Funk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: How secure is my password?

Post by Funk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:48 pm

There is no way on earth you would catch me entering my passwords into that site.

rob
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Obviously one should exercise due caution ... as per the last paragraph of the authors help screen :wink:

Is This Safe?

It is actually. I'm not harvesting passwords into an evil database. Of course that's exactly the sort of thing I would say if I were harvesting them. And it wouldn't be hard to do it: a couple of lines of code and I'd have all your passwords. Mwuhahahahahaa! But, to be honest, I don't know what I'd do with them. Make a cake perhaps.

The bit of code that does the calculations is done in JavaScript. And JavaScript is a "client-side" language. That means it runs on your computer – not on ours. No data ever travels from your computer back to the website. You can check this by loading up the webpage and then turning off your internet connection. You'll still be able to use the website to your heart's content.

However, for the super-paranoid among you, you could just type in something a bit like your password rather than your actual password. In fact, that's probably a good idea anyway. Just in case I'm lying.
(It's here...)

niuniu
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by niuniu » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:32 pm

haha, no way am I clicking that link :D

rob
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rob » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:03 pm

GifBMW wrote:I wasn't having a go Rob, I checked the source first but the point was more one of general security. If you make a habit of not typing your password into things then you are unlikely to fall foul of something more insidious :)
No worries, I didn't think anyone was having a go :D

In hindsight I think you're right. I tried it with just random passwords of similar complexity to ones I use, but if it encourages sloppy behaviour by making others less cautious then it's not a good idea.

Link removed... (just in case) :wink:
(It's here...)

sprainedmind
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sprainedmind » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:16 pm

If you're desperate to get some idea the signup page for gmail does some basic rating of your password. You don't have to actually sign up, just put your password in to get the assessment.

Remy
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Remy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

the problem with passwords....... is that im abit OCD about changing them and them being different for everything. I now have so many friggin different names and passwords i'm constantly pressing that ....... forgotten your password button.......... :roll: :lol:
Current Love : Golf R DSG. :D

Past true Love : Jap Red 130i

Remy

Post by Remy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:53 pm

GifBMW wrote:Ditto! We have some secure system in work that not only requires you to change it often but also enforces hard to guess so it must have upper and lower case, numbers and punctuation in it and be over 8 chars long :twisted:

The whole IT support unit does nothing but reset passwords all day, efficient eh? :roll:
LMAO - the techy guy other day commented when he was trying to log in to my connection as i had a problem that the password wasnt working, i said well i changed it, he said feck me Amber, you change passwords more than anyone i know! you only gave it me two days ago - and i said yes but you had unlimited access then so i had to change it :lol:

My techy guy also advises me same, A mixture of the most random crap is the best. he did a test with a password cracking program and if you stick to the formula, it is very hard to break.
Current Love : Golf R DSG. :D

Past true Love : Jap Red 130i

sprainedmind
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sprainedmind » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

It may soon all be a bit pointless anyway:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/36 ... -worthless

Funk
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Funk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:19 pm

The answer to that is to stop password fields allowing brute force attacks. Limit the number of login attempts and then lock the account. Simple.

sprainedmind
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sprainedmind » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Funk wrote:The answer to that is to stop password fields allowing brute force attacks. Limit the number of login attempts and then lock the account. Simple.
As the comments on the article discuss it's not quite that simple, but yes, it'd help

Return to “Links to interesting sites”