Baby BMW Forum banner

118d edition es

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lee_k 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone, this site has opened my eyes to all the different aspects of owning a beema and particular a 1 series. I have owned my 118d for about 3 weeks now and am totally chuffed. Bought it on the spur of the moment and wish I'd shopped around a bit more now. Although I am very happy with the driving position and the feel of the car, I am a little disappointed by the trim. I used to drive a Citroen C4 VTR + coupe which had almost everything - apart from bluetooth. What I miss is a centre arm rest, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, then again the ride makes up for it the fuel costs and the tax man's share - £30 a year is brilliant. In short I'm chuffed to be a 1er owner. I may add some photos next.

If anyone wants to buy genuine Citroen C4 roofbars I'm your man.

#2 ·
OK. Time to try make you feel better (as I wish I could have specced some of that stuff as well)

- The armrest only gets in the way of changing gear (and if you really want one can be retro fitted - keep an eye on ebay - and there are threads on here about how to do it.)
- Cruise would be nice, but the traffic's usually too bad to use it, plus the 1er has a nice driving position which means your throttle foot stays quite relaxed.
- Auto lights and wipers can be substituted with the wonderful thing that is your brain. If you have auto wipers you lose the excellent variable intermittent wipe as well.

#3 ·
Yes, the driving position is very comfortable. I just like the cruise / speed limiter for those nasty mandatory speed limits with ave speed checks. I used to have a Citroen with it and it was a good tool. I suppose I got used to auto lights / wipers. I'm a little disappointed at how plastic and flimsy the heating controls are. Oh well when the fuel consumption is so good and only £30 a year to tax, I'll make do. After all, I am a BMW owner now :cool2:

#4 ·
Had my 118d se for about 3 weeks now and bloody love it, drove a fiesta i am selling just to put some fuel in it ready to sell it and this really showed up how high the quality is with the beemer. Only down side is the MPG which is only 36 mpg against the 53 i was getting out of the fiesta, pretty poor for a diesel but the rest is awesome. So quiet to drive, plenty of grunt under the right foot.

#6 ·
I came from a C4 Coupe VTR+ too!

Luckily i did shop around... so i do have, arm rest, auto lights/wipers, climate in the 118 :)

No cruise control tho and the c4 stero was a different league to the business one in the 118.... but the drive more than makes up for it :bigsmile:

#7 ·
I'm in the same boat as you guys, but v. impressed with my 118d SE.

I had been driving a 54 plate Citroen C2 1.6 VTR for a few years, and although fun (flappy paddles!), it felt like it was falling apart 24/7!

Really enjoying the 'premium' feel of the 09 118d and so glad I went for an SE with a few toys chucked in (iDrive, nav, cruise, arm rest etc...)

Enjoy!

#8 ·
SamM118dSE said:

I had been driving a 54 plate Citroen C2 1.6 VTR for a few years, and although fun (flappy paddles!), it felt like it was falling apart 24/7!

Really enjoying the 'premium' feel of the 09 118d and so glad I went for an SE with a few toys chucked in (iDrive, nav, cruise, arm rest etc...)

Enjoy!
I had a VTS C2 before the C4, great fun little car! Miltek manifold, exhaust, gsr induction and a remap later it was lively too

#9 ·
Lee_k said:
SamM118dSE said:

Enjoy!
I had a VTS C2 before the C4, great fun little car! Miltek manifold, exhaust, gsr induction and a remap later it was lively too
Definitely good fun... I bet you'll never own another French car though ;)

#10 ·
SamM118dSE said:
Lee_k said:
SamM118dSE said:

Enjoy!
Definitely good fun... I bet you'll never own another French car though ;)
Wouldnt say that - DS3 is nice, maybe in a year or so! ....to replace the fiesta :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.