Baby BMW Forum banner

First five weeks with a 118D M Sport Coupe

19K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  seamaster 
#1 ·
Well having spent much timing reading this forum and absorbing all the helpful advice thought I should contribute with a review of my new BMW.

I took delivery of a new BMW 1 Series 118D M Sport Coupe in June 2011 and have done some 800 miles so far.

It is Black Sapphire MET, 17" 207M Wheels with Goodyear NCT RFT tyres and M Sport suspension. No options other than the standard kit you get with the M Sport model but did buy BMW Service Inclusive 5 year package.

After 200 miles got a slight burning smell and small amount of smoke in the engine bay.
Turned out just to be a factory coating burning off the engine. Quite alarming until BMW Assistance explained what it was.

Doing about 44 MPG at the moment on a 10 mile commute (6miles on the motorway). Drops to 39 around town. Have managed 59MPG on one run into work but that was with no delays and doing 60mph most of the way.

Around town you can't really get out of 3rd gear at 30mph so I guess consumption suffers.

Performance is quite good but you have to work the gears. But then anything would seem fast after my Toyota Corolla. I guess if you want real performance from a Diesel you need the 120 or 123D. But I am happy with my £0 road tax year 1 and £30 year 2.

Ride is firm with the RFTs and M Sport suspension but the sports seats make a very good job of absorbing the bumps so I find it comfortable. However you really want to avoid potholes in this car and slow right down for speed humps. Very few humps where I live but if you live in an area that has many not sure RFTs and M Sport suspension are a good combination.

You need to spend a lot of time getting the seat set-up correct. Lots of adjustments but after a while I got it right and then it is perfect. Seats really hold you in place.

At the moment I turn off AUTO STOP/START as soon as I start-up. Since my drive only has pauses that are 2-3 seconds I find it disturbing having the engine cut out only to start a second or so later. Not convinced this saves fuel. Long waits at traffic lights I guess would be worth it though.

I noticed that from time to time I get an orange flash from a dashboard light when changing lanes or going round roundabouts when I hit a small bump. Found out this was the Traction/DSC system coming into operation which was a bit of a surprise since speeds were modest. I assume this is because of the RFT tyres and the hard suspension react to bumps.

The black paint job looks good but I do find after washing you have to wax it ( I use AUTOGLYM) to get a smear free finish. Other colours might be easier to clean. Also the 207M wheels are hard to clean between the dual spokes.

I found checking the oil level a bit tricky. Engine cold in my drive with a very slight slope shows only a 1/3 full. But checking it an hour after a run on the flat shows level at the MAX.
As a Diesel it does not have the electronic oil level readout as far as I can tell.

Boot size is very good for a Coupe. Access to rear seats is a bit awkward even though I am only 5'7" so my seat is not that far back. So really this is a car for 2 with occasional use of the rear seats. That being said the rear seats are very comfortable.

I find I need to be smooth with the clutch and throttle when pulling off in 1st. If not was getting a bit of clutch judder sometimes in the early days. No longer an issue.

You need to fully read the manual for this car if it is your first BMW. It is a complex machine.

Even though a Diesel it is very quiet at 70mph. Overall a lovely car and fun to drive. Glad I went for this instead of the Audi A3 I had shortlisted.

Update 12/8/2011. Well 8+ weeks in and MPG settled at 47MPG on commute to work 10 miles. 1200 miles now. Only real issue in the clutch. Hard to use smoothly. Easy to make it judder pulling off in first. have adjusted my driving style and now let clutch in with no revs in first gear and it moves off very smoothly without stalling and no judder. Have got used to driving it this way. So many posts on this forum that this is clearly a 'feature' with this car. M Sport suspension is a bit bouncy on bumps but boy does it go round corners quick. No back ache though as sports seat are very comfy. No oil used at all to date. Check tyre pressures every week due to costs of replacement.

End of Term Report

Well 3 years on. May 2014. 20,000 miles.

Just passed its MOT with no issues.

Only one warranty issue over the period. This was a replacement boot
strip brake light that started to come away from the body at one end.
Modified part fitted and no issues since.

Did suffer from a bit of clutch judder when cold but not very often and
no attention needed as not had it for the last year.

Rear tyres replaced at 14K at a cost of 125 each using Event tyres. Replaced with
same type Goodyear NCT5 225/45 17 Run Flat.

Fronts have 4mm left.

Clutch action is heavy and not very smooth 1st to 2nd ( the CDV I guess).
8 speed Auto would be better I think.

Ride just tolerable on 17". Not sure I would have been happy on 18".

207 style wheels a pain to clean.

Have to be very careful in winter not to let the windows freeze up to avoid
damage to the auto drop function. Generally I used a car cover or broke frost seal
with plastic card before opening the door.

Drives as new. Very tight. Never used any oil.

MPG average only ever 43 MPG but short journeys. And always turn off stop/start.

Only once have I ever been aware of a DPF regen. Once a week on the drive home keep
it in 4th on motorway so it gets 15 minutes at +2500 rpm.

Just got Bmw comprehensive warranty quote with 100 excess and Bmw emergency service.
Quoted at 40 per month which I think is reasonable. ( Based of 20000 miles at present)
Cheaper than I paid for year 4 Toyota warranty for a Toyota Auris a few years back.

Local BMW dealer in Portsmouth has been good to deal with.

FINAL REPORT JULY 2015

Well E82 118D gone now. Traded for a 2 series Coupe.

Over the four years no warranty issues apart from the rear brake strip light being replaced.

24,000 miles so only 6,000 miles a year. No DPF issues over the 4 years.Hardly ever noticed
it doing a regen of the DPF. Average mpg 44.1 ( stop/start always off though)

Passed both MOTS with no issues.

Still drove and felt like new.

Bit of clutch judder in first year but not for last 3 years.

Rear tyres lasted about 14K miles and fronts just about 3mm at 24K miles

Traded at 50% of what I paid for it new.

Will be missed.

See less See more
#4 ·
seamaster said:
As a Diesel it does not have the electronic oil level readout as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the good write up. :) was an interesting read.

The Diesel does have an electronic oil level readout however..... :| I am assuming you do mean on the dashboard? I can not find a video on Youtube to show you how. but I will do one tomorrow and upload it.

#5 ·
Nice write up and you've covered a few issues that can cause alarm for a newbie, such as I was ten or so months ago. I had the burning smell and found out exactly the same reason for it as you did. The DSC light flashing on occasionally can be a little worrying initially, but comes as a consequence of the RFT's and harsh suspension as you say and doesn't really phase me anymore. I am very aware of potholes and speed bumps though - irritating at the best of times, but very, very harsh with the M-Sport suspension and RFT combination. I think we've all discovered the seat can take an age to sort into the 'right' position, not helped by the dealers immediately changing it if the car goes in for anything, but again as you say, the driving position once found is marvellous and very comfortable.

How about some pics, or have you posted some elsewhere?

Anyway, thanks again for that write up ..... will undoubtedly be of use to potential purchasers :wink:

#6 ·
Lee_2f2f said:
The Diesel does have an electronic oil level readout however..... :| I am assuming you do mean on the dashboard? I can not find a video on Youtube to show you how. but I will do one tomorrow and upload it.
You sure, our new 120d only has a stick. Handbook implies it's either or.

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
b1g1an said:
Lee_2f2f said:
You sure, our new 120d only has a stick. Handbook implies it's either or.

Sent from my GT-I5500 using Tapatalk
Really!?

Is this a new feature then? Assuming yours is newer than mine?

Mine is a 2009 120d and it has both, the dipstick and the obc reading. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

#10 ·
I very much appreciate all the helpful comments. This is such a friendly forum.

This is my first BMW and as a private buyer this was a lot of money for me. Had
driven Toyotas for the last 10 years. So getting all this free advice is brilliant.

As for the oil level I cannot find how to access Electronic Readout. I don't have
i-drive so perhaps I can't on my model. It is an E82 118D M Sport Coupe built
around Feb 2011 ( so before the mini facelift in March)

As for the seat when I tip the passenger seat for access and slide it forward I am
sure it does not return to the same position. So I tend to avoid tripping the slide
action but this makes access tight.

Will get round to pics after reading the 'How to post' and probably improve my
format signature a bit as well.

#11 ·
Spoke to my mate at VanOsch, he said he is unaware of any changes to the OBC for the oil reading.

He said if you have Idrive, it is on there for the oil reading, and if you don't it should be as normal, especially if yours is before the "little" facelift. :)

I just made a video describing how to do it: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(God I hate hearing my own voice) :redface:

#12 ·
Ahoy there Seamaster! :wink:

Ref tilting + sliding the front seats for access to the back. In my car if I remember to first slide the front seat back and only then straighten the backrest, it returns to it's original position. But if you just pull the backrest up, it "locks" it in it's tracks, so to speak.

Hope that makes sense! :)

#14 ·
Many thanks to you both for the advice on operating the seats. Just tried it
and it works. Great!

Thanks also lee_2f2f for your video Just rushed out to try it.

Looks like my 118D does not have it. your video is very clear.

On my car cycling through (engine running ) gives

CHECK
RESET TYRES
SET TIME
SET DATE
SERVICE INFO
SET KEY-RULER SYMBOL
SET KE-Y TICK SYMBOL

thus no OIL CAN symbol

dropped into service-info and in the OIL CAN/Service display showing 17000 pressed 2
but this then just exits back to normal display.

maybe 120D and 123D owners still have this electronic dipstick. But deleted on mine.
Anyway your video made it clear so I can stop looking for this feature.

#16 ·
Good write up! I can also confirm my 59 plate does not have oil level in the OBD. My mates 58 does so I know how to find it (had to show him). It was one of the features dropped for the my2010 cars which also included losing the 'rest' function on climate and the large dumbo ear mirrors...

Hope that helps

#17 ·
dubdemand said:
Good write up! I can also confirm my 59 plate does not have oil level in the OBD. My mates 58 does so I know how to find it (had to show him). It was one of the features dropped for the my2010 cars which also included losing the 'rest' function on climate and the large dumbo ear mirrors...

Hope that helps
thanks for that. BMW dealer told me it did have it during the handover but I never asked for a demo.
He was wrong.Basically I was told these cars (118D) don't use much oil,if any, but you can sit in
the drivers seat and check it. Well he was right about not using any oil so far.

I should have gone back and asked for a demo. Now that would have been interesting
to watch. Anyway I know where to get expert help now: this forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.