118d main Thermostat and EGR thermostat change.

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

timk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: 118d main Thermostat and EGR thermostat change.

Post by timk » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:35 am

Finally got around to getting mine changed today, looks like it worked nicely:

I changed both the EGR and main thermostat at the same time.

Cheers

Kimitech

Post by Kimitech » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm

I´ve done this as well. Both of my stats were shot.
In the beginning the car was not able to hold temp above 64 degrees no matter what you´ve done.
At first I´ve done just the EGR stat - the temp was able to hover around 80 degrees.
After changing the main stat as well, the temp is around the 90 degree mark.
Success.

J-R

Post by J-R » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for a nice writeup. Changed my thermostat yesterday and at the same time threw out the whole EGR system and installed the kit from
https://vanos-bmw.com/kit-for-remove-egr-agr-bmw
I have been running with the EGR disabled for several years and it was good to finally clean up the engine bay by removing the parts. I have been running with the CEL lit but will now take it to a tuner to get it programmed out
2005 120d

TALBOTL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TALBOTL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Thought best to revive as it may alert others. I'm getting shocking MPG in my 123d at present, freshly serviced with no extra weight and properly inflated tyres. Dropping the run flats which I'm hoping may give a slight improvment.

I did a test this morning commute is 15 miles 95% a roads and motorway so should get up to speed fairly quickly, no matter how hard I drove I couldn't get above 85 degrees, is it worth changing the sensors based on that ?
I expect that nearly 10 degrees may help and I certainly can't think of anything else that is impacting economy as I drive like a saint on my commutes.

Cheers

LT
2010 Space Grey '123d'
260bhp and 341ft lbs P Torque

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm

TALBOTL wrote:Thought best to revive as it may alert others. I'm getting shocking MPG in my 123d at present, freshly serviced with no extra weight and properly inflated tyres. Dropping the run flats which I'm hoping may give a slight improvment.

I did a test this morning commute is 15 miles 95% a roads and motorway so should get up to speed fairly quickly, no matter how hard I drove I couldn't get above 85 degrees, is it worth changing the sensors based on that ?
I expect that nearly 10 degrees may help and I certainly can't think of anything else that is impacting economy as I drive like a saint on my commutes.

Cheers

LT
The target is 88° for all BMW diseasils, so 85° really isn't that bad.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

TALBOTL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TALBOTL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:02 pm

marco_polo wrote:
TALBOTL wrote:Thought best to revive as it may alert others. I'm getting shocking MPG in my 123d at present, freshly serviced with no extra weight and properly inflated tyres. Dropping the run flats which I'm hoping may give a slight improvment.

Cheers

LT
The target is 88° for all BMW diseasils, so 85° really isn't that bad.
Thanks Marco, Hmm in that case not too sure, stuggling to hit 40mpg doing 65 on the motorway and a roads, back to the drawing board may still be worth doing it for 5 degrees ish the only other issue that's developed is my brake servo sensor wouldn't have thought that would make any difference.
2010 Space Grey '123d'
260bhp and 341ft lbs P Torque

mekon88

Post by mekon88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:55 pm

14 mile journey in ambient temps of 10 degrees... OBD reader shows coolant temp of 52 degrees.... i think i need some stats! (and a blanket for the poor engine!)
55 Plate E87 120D Sport

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 pm

mekon88 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:55 pm
14 mile journey in ambient temps of 10 degrees... OBD reader shows coolant temp of 52 degrees.... i think i need some stats! (and a blanket for the poor engine!)
OBDII Reader's can give erroneous results, what does the dash say?

If it concurs at 52°, I think you'll hold the record for the sickest engine, ever! :shock: :(
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

mekon88

Post by mekon88 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 pm

I havent done the hidden menu check, I did check the ET and I am wondering if maybe there is air in the system as with a warm engine (as warm as this one gets anyway) the float was sitting around the minimum mark, I have stats on the way so will do them at weekend.... damned bonnet release decided to snap on sunday night when I wanted to add screenwash! making any sort of work..... tricky, new cable should be waiting for me at home so thats my evening plans arranged!
55 Plate E87 120D Sport

Mike42

Post by Mike42 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 pm

So I did this job after reading this excellent guide. It was very straightforward. As I was 'in there' and they're not too pricey I replaced the water pump too. The engine thermostat brought a previous 64 degree max up to 70, but the EGR thermostat brought the temp to 83 (so far - motorway run Sunday).

Incidentally, 88 is not a 'target' temperature. It's the point at which the engine thermostat opens to let water through to the rad to cool it before returning to the block. An engine running at 80 or above is normal taking into account outside temp and air flow.
E87 118d (M47) 2005

Mike42

Post by Mike42 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm

88 is also a great early Level 42 track.
E87 118d (M47) 2005

Skywalker1

Post by Skywalker1 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:19 am

After small increase in fuel consumption I decided to check my coolant temp and on a 25 mile drive on pretty much flat road while doing 70mph it never got past 79 degrees. Driving on a mountain pass doing 60mph in 4th gear and around 2500rpm got it to 87 degrees.

The question is which thermostat should I change, main, egr or both.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 am

There's no way of knowing which one's died, or if either are healthy.

The EGR stat is quick and easy to change, with very minimal coolant loss, so maybe start there if you're feeling lucky?

Skywalker1

Post by Skywalker1 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

I did a few checks on the pipes, and trying to make sense out of it. Engine temp was 73 degrees after 7-8 minutes of driving

- The pipes marked with red were hot on the touch. The smaller pipe in the bottom seems to come from the egr cooler. The pipe going to the radiator looks like is coming from somewhere further in the engine.

- The pipe on the bottom was cold or slightly warm on the touch. That one looks like is connected to the main stat, but I am not sure if water is going or coming off the radiator.

- My local BMW dealer gave me a price of 85 euros for the main stat and 45 euros for the egr one.

Return to “How To's”