Depo V1 Headlight Bi-Xenon Mod - UPDATED Page 1

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

aj_mckay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Depo V1 Headlight Bi-Xenon Mod - UPDATED Page 1

Post by aj_mckay » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:14 am

Ant_Smiggy120D wrote:
Twenny wrote:One of mine went about a year ago so you've done well to get this long out of them. It's time to buy yourself some halo rings mate and some butyl rubber sealant and change the rings yourself.

It's what I'm about to do soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This lasted less than a year mate. Just not been on here much myself tbh tried contacting Toby direct as I have his number and never heard back from him. Bit of a shame really.

Are the rings are standard size/ fitment? I don't really have the time to be messing about with them tbh flat out with work.

You'll have to let me know how you get on mate and document it. And what ring you use. If not I'll fire the standard lights back in with HID's and blind everyone with no projectors.

Give me a shout it you want rid of your depos. I'll take them as they are, subject to price.
'57 Le Mans Blue 120D E87 | Style 261s
WANTED: E8x headlights - all types required, please contact me if you're selling!

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:22 am

Ant_Smiggy120D wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 am
This lasted less than a year mate. Just not been on here much myself tbh tried contacting Toby direct as I have his number and never heard back from him. Bit of a shame really.

Are the rings are standard size/ fitment? I don't really have the time to be messing about with them tbh flat out with work.

You'll have to let me know how you get on mate and document it. And what ring you use. If not I'll fire the standard lights back in with HID's and blind everyone with no projectors.

Mine didn't even last that long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. He used cheap sh*t Chinese rings and silicone sealent to put them back together as well as other issues.

The rings are 95mm and 100mm.

I got another set made up by EM Tuning, using top end Morimoto parts and couldn't be happier. Give me a shout if you want more details.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Anish1993

Post by Anish1993 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm

I knew sonic would be around eventually lol i just knew.

I dont blame him for not having a warranty doe. He probably should have rehearsed it more clearly from the get go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Anish1993 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm
I knew sonic would be around eventually lol i just knew.

I dont blame him for not having a warranty doe. He probably should have rehearsed it more clearly from the get go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Mate. I been replying to this for ages.

If you're offering a service, you should also plan for potential problems. Toby didn't and neither to Headlight Retrofits.

Toby wanted payment for replacement parts and he wouldn't offer a refund on problematic lights.
Headlight Retrofits just used to bullshit about condensation and said some coating was the problem. They wanted £500 & old lights back to fix the issue by doing a new transplant. Again, refund would not be given.

At the end of the day, if YOU Are taking payment for a service and your service is not up to scratch you should either fix the problem OR refund the money. If you aren't going to offer this, then don't offer to make lights for people OR be clear from the start. Not half way down the line when problems occur.

Avoid BOTH on all accounts. Also avoid NEM, so called Europes best. Use a proper company/proper person.
Last edited by Sonic1506 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Ant_Smiggy120D
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ant_Smiggy120D » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
Ant_Smiggy120D wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 am

Mine didn't even last that long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. He used cheap sh*t Chinese rings and silicone sealent to put them back together as well as other issues.

The rings are 95mm and 100mm.

I got another set made up by EM Tuning, using top end Morimoto parts and couldn't be happier. Give me a shout if you want more details.
That would be brilliant mate. Think I'll have to chuck in my old lights and make time to have a go. Just time for me.

If you could let me know what rings I need to buy that would be a huge help. How are they fitted? Glued in? Appreciate the help

Ant

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Ant_Smiggy120D wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:18 pm
That would be brilliant mate. Think I'll have to chuck in my old lights and make time to have a go. Just time for me.

If you could let me know what rings I need to buy that would be a huge help. How are they fitted? Glued in? Appreciate the help

Ant

I'll send you a PM.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

And so it begins

Got them both split and will finish them off at work. Updates to follow.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Ant_Smiggy120D
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ant_Smiggy120D » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Twenny wrote:And so it begins

Got them both split and will finish them off at work. Updates to follow.

Take plenty of pics mate

Twenny

Depo V1 Headlight Bi-Xenon Mod - UPDATED Page 1

Post by Twenny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm

To be fair Ant if you follow Tobys how to at the beginning of this thread it's pretty easy.

Just need to find some decent/suitable glue to stick down the new rings and then something I don't know is, once the butyl sealant is re applied do I put them back in the oven to soften it up before sticking back together? I'm jumping the gun and will worry about that when I get to it lol

P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB

Ant_Smiggy120D
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ant_Smiggy120D » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Twenny wrote:To be fair Ant if you follow Tobys how to at the beginning of this thread it's pretty easy.

Just need to find some decent/suitable glue to stick down the new rings and then something I don't know is, once the butyl sealant is re applied do I put them back in the oven to soften it up before sticking back together? I'm jumping the gun and will worry about that when I get to it lol

The rings compatible then? Wiring wise?

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Compatible? I hope so, I bought the exact same ones as Toby fitted so not expecting any problems in that respect

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:56 am

Twenny wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm
To be fair Ant if you follow Tobys how to at the beginning of this thread it's pretty easy.

You can use Loctite Gel superglue. Sealent wise, you can use the Morimoto stuff or stuff from The Retrofit Source, their stuff goes in, then you clamp the headlight shut and that's it.

No heat is required.

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am

Sonic1506 wrote:
Twenny wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:24 pm

You can use Loctite Gel superglue. Sealent wise, you can use the Morimoto stuff or stuff from The Retrofit Source, their stuff goes in, then you clamp the headlight shut and that's it.

No heat is required.
Hmm ok I may have to use this butyl rubber sealant as it's all over the headlight joins and is a PITA to get out of the grooves. Probably will have to put in oven to seal the joins but that's no problem.

Good idea with the glue sonic I shall purchase some asap.

aj_mckay
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by aj_mckay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am

I'd be reluctant to use super glue. Go for some two part epoxy resin, if anything. Alternatively secure the rings to the housing with fishing line - pretty much invisible when installed and won't melt like glue.

Butyl windscreen seal will be fine for re-sealing the lens to the housing.
'57 Le Mans Blue 120D E87 | Style 261s
WANTED: E8x headlights - all types required, please contact me if you're selling!

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:57 am

Twenny wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am
Hmm ok I may have to use this butyl rubber sealant as it's all over the headlight joins and is a PITA to get out of the grooves. Probably will have to put in oven to seal the joins but that's no problem.

Good idea with the glue sonic I shall purchase some asap.

Make sure you get all the existing sealent out.

Fixing rings wise, as I recommended to you earlier in our PM's was using fishing line is another option but IIRC you said you can't get a hold of it?

Return to “How To's”