Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

jay100

Re: Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Post by jay100 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks! So I've checked fuses and all look good. I also testd opening the door with side lights left on with the key removed and the warning beeper sounds fine (presuming this is the same beeper for the rear sensors?), although no sound when testing this with the low beams left on. Except for wiring I'm pretty much out of ideas :cry:

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 am

Which car and head unit have you got?

Some cars (with Business HU) have a speaker in the rear for the parking beeps, wired directly off the PDC unit (like mine :) ), so other bongs and gongs working would be irrelevent.

Which part number is fitted? Just because you replaced like for like doesnt mean a previous owner didnt attempt to fix a problem and fit the wrong one (we've had folks on this forum do that). If you have the BU PDC and a Pro HU, then the sounds wont work (I've not checked if the wiring is sufficiently different to stop the sensors clicking as well).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

jay100

Post by jay100 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:18 am

Cheers, great advice and it's funny you say that as I have just been wondering whether it's the wrong part number! Checked realoem.com and the Bosch part number doesn't seem to appear (mine is 6621-6982402). It's a 2009 1 Series M Sport 120D with factory Business HU. I did read about the speaker being in the back passenger area but not got around to looking for it. So with this info, any ideas how to confirm which part number should be in my car? Or does it need a call to BMW? Also discovered this morning it could be related to the Parrot kit which came with the car?

Thanks all.

jay100

Post by jay100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Update on this one..

-Turns out I am getting clicks from each rear sensor, all 4 working fine
-Confirmed my PDC unit works fine, both tested by unplugging and re-plugging with tests, and confirming part number with BMW
-No separate speaker in my model, just an empty space where it shoud be
-Both rear speakers working fine (presuming this is where the sound would come from?)
-No additional options in HU for PDC
-Disconnected the Parrot handsfree and still no luck
-Fuses all okay

Can anyone suggest what else there is to check, otherwise looking like a trip to the garage :cry:

Is there a diagram of factory fit business radio headunit connections anywhere as there's all sorts going on behind this dash!

Thanks!

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Sounds like you might have the wrong head unit in your car. People sometimes swap them out if the pixels die. Can you post a pic? Or tell us if it has chrome rings on the knobs?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

jay100

Post by jay100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks, pik here, look like chrome rings..
Attachments
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG (89.73 KiB) Viewed 250 times

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Yup, that's an FL HU, time to check its coding. Not my strong suit I'm afraid, try Wibbles, or in the coding section.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

jay100

Post by jay100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Would never have suspected that - thanks! I'll give those a go and report back, what's FL short for?

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Face lift
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

jay100

Post by jay100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Cheers!

Mick_TT

Post by Mick_TT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Lee thank you so much for all your help on the "Get to your PDC unit (water issue)" chat. I've been using it on and off for a couple of weeks now but I'm still trying to make sense of my issue!!

Fuses ok.
No clicking/noise at the sensors (front and rear).
Chips replaced on PDC unit and yet still no success.

Looks like the refurb either hasn't worked or I still have another issue. As per the chat, I believe coding or re-coding shouldn't be an issue? They haven't been working for 3 or so months but I wasn't driving much up until recently so it didn't bother me too much. Little did I know it's been sitting in a puddle in that time! What would you advise is next? I thought an ECB genius was going to solve my damp problem!

Best regards,

Mick

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:42 pm

jay100 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:21 pm
-No separate speaker in my model, just an empty space where it shoud be
Sorry, for the avoidance of ambiguity, do you mean;

"I have confirmed there is definately not supposed to be a separate speaker in my model"
or
"I've looked and there isnt one, which I assume is correct" ?

I'm not an expert in the FL ones, but the pre-FL Business HU defo has the separate speaker (sorry - I've not been able to check if the FL one does or doesnt).

I'll have a quick poke around for the p/n wiring diagram. I doubt a Parrot would mess it up - you'd have to try quite hard to overlap PDC and Parrot. More likely coding or wiring.

Good news the sensors are working though :) . That rules a lot of potential problems out.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

jay100

Post by jay100 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi, So all I've confirmed is that there isn't a separate speaker there - had a go at finding whether I should have one or not and can't be sure. To add, I've only looked in the O/S rear boot area. Yeah I've had another guy mention the parrot being a longshot - so agreed, looking like wiring or coding to me also..hopefully close to sorting it now! If you do find that diagram that would be a big help.. :)

Nottsknots

Post by Nottsknots » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Well, looks like you should NOT have a speaker; I've assumed an E87 (5door hatch), so if I got that wrong, then you'll need to double check its the same for whatever you've got (probably will be, but its an assumption).

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e87- ... pdc/q-A81a

The second and third links on the above page show the pinouts for the PDC module - yours is after September 2007 (facelift time), and one of the key differences is the lack of speaker wiring. So I've learned something today :) .

Have a poke around the other relevent links to see what else you can find, but looking increasingly like lost coding in the HU. It happens; I dont know why something stored in non-volatile memory would ever randomly disappear, but it does.

jay100

Post by jay100 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

Good News! Rear PDC now working and it was a very simple fix in the end - disconnected the battery overnight, reconnected tonight and the hidden radio menu now shows the PDC option! (although I've now lost the AUX option but not too bothered about that right now). So sounds to me like it was a coding issue with the HU, not sure when it was lost but main thing is it's back now :P Wish I had tried that in the 1st place but hey...Thanks all who helped me narrow down the issue - very much appreciated, for anyone else seeing the same symptoms I'd recommend giving that a go.

Return to “How To's”