Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

oxfordshirerob

Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey all,

I just got my new steering wheel and airbag components all sorted and am currently handling the unfitted air-bag like a dangerous nuclear warhead!

How cautious do I really need to be with the airbag module, I am literally holding it facing away from me at all times, carrying it around in its big box, generally treating it like the plague until I come to fit it......at which point I think I am going to be a nervous wreck trying to plug it in, while ducking etc..... I read on the forums that even static electricity can set them off, so am a little worries in my rough handling when it comes to install time.

Am I being paranoid and in reality its completely inert and fine to treat like a normal car part, and only becomes active after its plugged in........or am I right to be handling it with kids gloves for fear of it going pop in my face while I have it in the house, and come to fit it.

Rob

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by marco_polo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

oxfordshirerob

Re: Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

Post by oxfordshirerob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:54 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 pm
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob

Return to “How To's”