VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Boosted Autos

VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

Post by Boosted Autos » Mon May 01, 2017 5:48 am

Installing a dashcam can seem rather daunting, but it's actually a relatively straight forward DIY project if you take your time.

Modern cars, especially European cars have features which monitor battery load when the car is off and can either cut power, or throw error messages when a dashcam is hard wired in parking mode, in this video I'll show you how to work around this.

You'll also learn how to conceal all the wiring neatly so nothing is visible inside the cabin.

The car in the video is a BMW M240i, but the process is the same for all current BMWs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuTs9oD64Dc

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

Post by Octavius » Mon May 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Why not remove trim to route the wires correctly with the original harness ?
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: VIDEO GUIDE - Installing and Hardwiring a Dashcam - NO BATTERY WARNINGS OR CUTOFF

Post by Locoblade » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Cheers for the video, I actually found this on Youtube having just ordered an F770 to install into my M240 so absolutely ideal for me. I wondered if it had been posted here :)

Hopefully you're following the thread as I was wondering if there's a reason you didn't mount the front camera a bit higher up the screen? I'd like to minimise the wire showing above the camera so was hoping to mount it fairly close to the roof lining but was wondering if the central mirror cowl etc might interfere with the view?

Buxter

Post by Buxter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am

Awesome. Thanks for the video!
I wonder if I can play lord ocean with no money spent. I think it's possible there. Primarily I have to read more about it. That is why I like that place.

spencertully

Post by spencertully » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Great video! thanks to the author for practical advice.

Bunford
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Bunford » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

This wasn't useful for me with an E87. I didn't want to route cables beyond glove box fuse box. Problem was they are all constant 12v except for a single fuse for accessory switch on. For me that was the only switched power which was the fuse with the circle icon with a line either side and a + and - icon.
2005 BMW E87 118D Sport in Black Sapphire

Upgraded to M Sport LCI interior and exterior, engine remap and backbox delete with custom twin sport exhaust installed

Return to “How To's”