How to remove heater blower motor?

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

tommyp

Post by tommyp » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

(part numer 64119227670)

This is actually very easy, but a bit tricky for the first time.

The fan is located on the passenger side, behind the glowe box. You'll have to lay down on your back to see and access it easily.

1. Undo the two torx screws of the cover.

2. Slide the cover front side down and to the seat.
Foto 1: red arrows shows which screws to undo, blue are indicating two sliding straps holding the cover.
Foto 2: close up of the sliding locks

3. Disconnect the two wire connectors from the motor

4. Undo the three main screws (marked red) and twist the whole element clockwise (if I recall correctly).
It will drop down once twisted, but to allow it to rotate you need to unlock the plastic element with triangle (marked with blue arrow).
Just move it gently to your side ~2mm and then do the twist off (I've broken mine as I thought I have to pull it with the whole motor).
The trick is to unlock and twist while you holding it.

4. Once the blower is loose the vents are blocking it (no space to remove it). (Foto 4) You need to pull down the vent to disconnect them from the fan.
Notice how the vents are attached to the fan with small metal plates (they are just sliging in as a spring). (Foto 5)

5. Once you make space to get it out, lubricate the bearings (I used ACF-50) (Foto 6)

(part numer 64119227670)

The fan is located on the passenger side, behind the glowe box. You'll have to lay down on your back to see and access it easily.

1. Remove the two screws of the cover.

2. Slide the cover front side down and to the seat.
Foto 1: red arrows shows which screws to undo, blue are indicating two sliding straps holding the cover.
Foto 2: close up of the sliding locks

3. Disconnect the two wire connectors from the motor

4. Undo the three main screws (marked red) and twist the whole element clockwise (if I recall correctly).
It will drop down once twisted, but to allow it to rotate you need to unlock (bend) the plastic tab with triangle (marked with blue arrow on the photo).
Just bend it gently to your side ~2mm and then do the twist off (I've broken mine as I thought I have to pull it with the whole motor).
The trick is to unlock and twist while you holding it.

4. Once the blower is loose the vents are blocking it (no space to remove it). (Foto 4) You need to pull down the vent to disconnect them from the fan.
Notice how the vents are attached to the fan with small metal plates (they are just sliging in as a spring). (Foto 5)

5. Once you make space to get it out, lubricate the bearings (I used ACF-50) (Foto 6)

Original issue thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57343&p=716378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(ps. feel free to edit and improve this post, my English is not the best ;) )
--
116i 2009/12

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: How to remove heater blower motor?

Post by Nottsknots » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:43 pm

Four extras for anyone attempting this,
1) there is also a rivet/clip thing holding the dash panel (you can see it bottom right in the first picture, a little way back from the pointy bit. To remove it, pull out the centre pin, then pull out the rest of the clip
2) the three screws at step 4 are no. 10 torx. With my lack of short range vision it took a photo on my phone-camera to see that they were torx, and a bit of trial and error to find the right size (not easy when you're old and inflexible, this stuff used to be much easier). HOWEVER, you do not need to remove these to remove the fan/motor assembly - they just hold the motor into the housing - see comment below.
3) the motor unit actually unclips if you rotate counter-clockwise (its about 3cm to get the clip highlighted to the bit where it needs to be helped over the ridge).
4) you can also lubricate the bottom bearing of the motor. With the metal heatsink towards you, hold the outer casing firmly in both hands, and with two index fingers in the holes either side, leaver the whole motor and fan out of the black plastic casing. This pulls the three mounting points (from which you may have already removed the mounting screws - see comment above) through the silicone grommits in the casing. Be careful not to damage the wires to the motor in the process, but there is a little black plastic clip that leavers up from the side with the plug (i.e. Away from the spindle axis) to allow the whole wire/plug to be pulled through the housing. Top bearing lubrication improved the rotation a little on mine, but lubricating the bottom bearing improved things a lot.

Otherwise, thanks tommyp, a very useful How To thats saved me another trip to the garage (or months of putting up with an irritating squeak).
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

m4rtin

Post by m4rtin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:50 pm

Big thanks for both posts.

Mine started squeaking......i ignored it and it stopped working completely, so after work i ended up doing an ace ventura round the carpark till my windows cleared enough to drive home.

I removed mine and gave it a nice coating of PTFE grease on the spline and gave it a good few spins, plugged it back in and it worked, went for a drive with it running at full tilt for about 20 mins............ever since its worked great and quietly :)

Worth trying before you buy a new one for £120.

spl23

Post by spl23 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:49 pm

I had a squeaking fan on my E87 before Christmas; I pulled it out and lubricated both bearings with lithium grease. That seemed to work, but within a couple of days the squeaking came back. To be fair, the car had done 85,000 miles at that point and was over 8 years old, so I ended up just buying a new fan. (They are ludicrously expensive - £160 - so it's a good idea to try the grease first!)

BTW, you can lubricate the bottom bearing without pulling the fan apart - you just have to open the little plastic flap in the base (at the top, next to the white control unit in the photo above), and you can see the bearing underneath it.
2015 F20 LCI 125i

jimlocoweed

Post by jimlocoweed » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Brilliant post - many thanks for all the tips and pictures - a bit of wd40 ptfe did the trick on my daughters 2007 118d.

The car had been sat for a while before she bought it and the blower was not working at all. Now in the middle of the heatwave she has aircon and she thinks her dad is a genius!

Thanks again all!

Return to “How To's”