Advice on splitting DEPOs

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ttassie15

Advice on splitting DEPOs

Post by ttassie15 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi all!
Been looking through the forum and can't really find a guide on how to split the headlights, just a '6-7mins at 120°C'. Wondering if anyone has attempted the split and can offer any advice, tools needed, which wires you removed etc.
123D M Sport

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Advice on splitting DEPOs

Post by Twenny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Yes I did it last week and 7 mins in a fan assisted oven at 120C worked well.

Only advice is obviously it's going to be very hot so you'll need gloves to pull the headlights apart. And wear clothes you don't mind getting rubber sealant over as I put the light against my chest and pulled open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

ttassie15

Post by ttassie15 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks! Is it just the rubber and some clips holding the lens on, or are there any screws that need undoing? And did you take out the projectors before baking? I can see this going horribly wrong 😂
123D M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 am

ttassie15 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:52 am
Thanks! Is it just the rubber and some clips holding the lens on, or are there any screws that need undoing? And did you take out the projectors before baking? I can see this going horribly wrong 😂
You'd want to take the bulbs out before baking. You can't remove the projector unless you split the light.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Twenny

Post by Twenny » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 pm

ttassie15 wrote:Thanks! Is it just the rubber and some clips holding the lens on, or are there any screws that need undoing? And did you take out the projectors before baking? I can see this going horribly wrong Image
No screws no, just a couple of holding clips.

Yeah as sonic said remove any lamps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

ttassie15

Post by ttassie15 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Cheers. Gunna attempt this this week when I get a chance 👍
123D M Sport

ttassie15

Post by ttassie15 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 am

Quick update,
Managed to find do this today, took a few pics for anyone wanting to give this a go.

Started by removing as much of the headlight as I could, wires projectors etc. Possible to remove the projector with a 7mm ratchet, only 3 nuts!

I preheated the oven to 120°C, fan assisted. I was unsure how long to put them in for as everyone has said a different time, I went for about 5 and a half mins (better too little time than too much time in the oven!). Took the headlight out (wearing gloves) and attempted to split it. I released what clips I could and started to pull it apart from the indicator corner. To my surprise it came apart like a dream! The butyl is nasty stuff and sticks to everything, so try not to touch the lens with rubber on your hands. It starts to stiffen up again after a few mins so I made sure to remove as much as I could from both parts of the headlight.

As I'm replacing the 4x spot with solid led rings, I continued to take the headlight apart. Using a flat headed screwdriver I eased off the adjustment arms.

And with a bit of gentle persuasion pulled it from the cover. The angel eyes cover are just held in with a few clips (that like to break, so take it easy).

Also, once the old depo projector is out, you can take that apart to help mark up for the brackets to fit the morimoto mini h1 (I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post, so can only do so much until then).

123D M Sport

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:52 pm

ttassie15 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 am
Also, once the old depo projector is out, you can take that apart to help mark up for the brackets to fit the morimoto mini h1 (I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the post, so can only do so much until then).
EM Tuning has brackets readily available to buy for Morimoto projectors buddy. They were prototyped on my lights and a few pairs made to sell.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=100337

See above.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Return to “How To's”