Baby BMW Forum banner

Does anyone have a how to for front pads?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  T26TGT 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm searching high and low and I'm struggling to find a decent how to for changing front brake pads and sensor.

M135i.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, or give me a few tips, I'd massively appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#2 ·
This is really simple, the trickiest bit is getting the wheel off.

Wheel off
Hammer 2 pins backwards (catch the spring clip, noting it's orientation). Try not to damage the nice blue paint!
Gently slide caliper pistons all the way back (use a lever between old pad's friction face and disc if necessary)
Remove pads.
Refitting is the opposite of removal.

One pad will have a wear sensor cable. Remove the old cable completely, noting the routing as you unclip it all the way back to the connection box.

Once done, into the service menu and reset the CBS for the front brakes only. Too easy. :)

#4 ·
Nice one, Marco.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Few questions...

Hammer pins backwards, I assume you mean hammer pins from the rear of the caliper to get the pins to protrude from the front of the caliper?

Also you mentioned a spring. Now you've said that, I immediately think of the tricky scalextric springs that fly off never to be seen again!?

Cheers.

#7 ·
I've just upgraded to RBF600 fluid.

Can't properly see the benefit until I've fitted the new front pads.

There was a small window of improvement, but I think the pads have had it!

Really struggled to find any replacement pads that weren't either extortionate (m4 sport pad for example) or had too many mixed opinions (yellow stuff).

Decided to stick with stock pads. Hoping the fluid will have made a big enough difference to keep me happy.

#9 ·
FYI - for anyone looking to tackle their own pads for the first time.

I've since decided to invest in one of these from eBay.

Should hopefully make removing the caliper pins much easier next time as the pins were right tw*ts to remove.

Also there's something cringeworthy about hammering the arse of a screwdriver to shift the pins out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.