Baby BMW Forum banner

Steering Wheel Airbag - how paranoid do I need to be?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  marco_polo 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I just got my new steering wheel and airbag components all sorted and am currently handling the unfitted air-bag like a dangerous nuclear warhead!

How cautious do I really need to be with the airbag module, I am literally holding it facing away from me at all times, carrying it around in its big box, generally treating it like the plague until I come to fit it......at which point I think I am going to be a nervous wreck trying to plug it in, while ducking etc..... I read on the forums that even static electricity can set them off, so am a little worries in my rough handling when it comes to install time.

Am I being paranoid and in reality its completely inert and fine to treat like a normal car part, and only becomes active after its plugged in........or am I right to be handling it with kids gloves for fear of it going pop in my face while I have it in the house, and come to fit it.

Rob

#4 ·
oxfordshirerob said:
marco_polo said:
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob
... and nobody ever heard from OxfordshireRob again :lol2:

#5 ·
Mike_RS said:
oxfordshirerob said:
marco_polo said:
Just don't put a voltage across the terminals, and you'll be fine. They're also the horn switch, which is happy to be punched all day long.
Cheers marco-polo, you've put my mind at rest somewhat and good point about the horn ha ha!

Rob
... and nobody ever heard from OxfordshireRob again :lol2:
Ha ha ha, thankfully I am still around to tell the positive tale that all went beautifully with no unexpected air bag explosions! Phew!

#6 ·
Did you find this easy? Im also worried about doing this job, i am about to order a new steering wheel and wanted to fit it myself, can you tell me step by step? This job worries me!

#7 ·
Dange20 said:
Did you find this easy? Im also worried about doing this job, i am about to order a new steering wheel and wanted to fit it myself, can you tell me step by step? This job worries me!
In hindsight its nothing to worry about, but before the job like you I was a bit concerned.

My car is an F20, but the details in this post are still relevant and this is the guide I followed:
That said, if I was doing again, I would probably go down this route: as it looks like less damage possibilities to the back of the steering wheel.

All in probably took about 30-40mins, but most of that was trying to get the airbag off (using the first guide above). Once off, it was dead easy to put the new controls in and put it back together, the airbags go on a lot easier than they come off!

The coding was done remotely by Wibbles (he's on this forum) and was really quick and pain free!

Good luck

#8 ·
Will i need it coding if im just having He steering wheel re furbished? Royal are sending me a new one and im fitting that? Thiught it would be one off and one on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.