Baby BMW Forum banner

NBT Retrofit guide in E82 (Pic Heavy)

E8x 
58K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  eddym 
#1 ·
Firstly, I would like to thank Blakey87 on the forum who helped me out over many many weeks of PMs. He's a very helpful and don't think I could have don't it with out him. Thank you! So this will be more of a collaboration with Blakey87. I'll post the guide if you're coming from CCC Navigation and he'll add the bare bones version below me.

Having bought my car around 7 months ago, updating the CCC to CIC was on the top of my list of mods to do. During the research I came across a few people skipping the CIC navigation and upgrading straight to NBT. Cost wise, there isn't much difference. Your looking at around £1000 to do a CIC upgrade and around £1150 if your going to a NBT upgrade. At the end, I decided to go with NBT.

There's also many benefits of NBT over CIC. Faster speed, better graphics, bigger hard drive built-in (80GB Vs 200GB in the NBT) BMW apps, Video in motion, 3D maps, M-lap timer, real time power and torque meters, and more.... As you can see for roughly £150 extra you get a whole lot more.

I will try my best to make this guide as simple as possible. Most guides require you to do some digging up yourself. So hopefully this will be a complete guide and I will list all part numbers and links to all items. All parts will also have a short explanation of what each one does. There will also be plenty of pictures to help you along the way. If you need anymore help feel free to leave a comment and we'll will help you as much as we can.

Parts needed

You may or may not require all of the parts below. If you are doing this in a car that already has a CCC or CIC Navigation you will already have the right dashboard trim. Please note that some minor modification of the dashboard will have to be carried out. If you don't feel confident doing this, I recommend getting this installed by a professional. If your car doesn't have navigation, you will need to get the correct trim pieces from eBay or main dealers. Sorry, I can't help with this as my car came with CCC from the factory with all the right trim pieces.

If you can, I would recommend you purchase the whole NBT kit from a BMW F30. It will save you time and money. Most kits don't come with IDrive touch controller ecu/module so you will have to buy that separately.

NBT Headunit (From any F series car. Please check the connections on the back of the unit as all units are not the same. Some have built-in DAB and some dont. I got the one DAB built-in. Picture below.)

NBT Screen (Preferably from an F30 if mounting on the dash like me. If you are mounting it in the CIC casing use any 8.8" screen from a F Series car)

NBT idrive touch controller (From any F series car)

NBT idrive controller touch ECU/Module (This is optional. The touch features of the controller won't work if you don't use one. Buttons and wheel will still work. Make sure it says ECE-US on it as there are some made for Japanese and Arab market which won't recognise your inputs)

CIC screen from an E82 (This is optional. You can remove the screen from the CIC screen and mount the NBT screen in the casing. Be prepared to wait a long time to source one as this is a rare item and is very hard to get hold of. If you have one, you're in luck! If you are mounting it to the dash like me get a dash storage compartment below

Dash storage compartment (Optional. This is th OEM storage compartment that come in some 1 series and your car may already have this. Only needed if you are mounting to the dashboard like me. You will have to modify this slightly so you can mount the screen to it. Available on eBay. Part number: 921178:cool2:

Touch controller trim (Available from here from the forum sponsor Cotsworld. Part number: 51169181072)

Touch controller trim clips X5 (Clips to connect touch controller trim to centre console. Available from cotsworld. Part number: 07147073406)

CIC front fascia (From an E82 or E90. Plenty available on eBay. Part number: 65129270250)

ENBT Emulator (This will activate navigation and other features on the NBT unit. This also acts as a bridge to convert Kcan signals from the E series to Kcan2 so the NBT can understand it. There are a few to choose from. Bimmeretrofits.com sell one but the module will need to activated and will be locked to your cars VIN. Not really a good idea as it will be worthless if you ever plan to remove the unit and sell it on. Also, the aftersales support is pretty bad from what I have gathered. I went with as the module doesn't have to be activated and isn't locked to your vin. You can also use any aftermarket rearview camera with this. They also give the best after sales support and fully code your car once everything is fitted. Get this one on eBay as it's cheaper than the the website)

Full plug and play wiring loom (This includes all the cables you need to wire everything up and code afterwards. From eBay)

Dab Antenna (Only get this If your NBT unit has DAB built-in. Get one with a FAKRA connector NOT a SMB connector)
GPS antenna (You could use the existing one if you already have navigation. Check for a blue FAKRA connector behind your existing navigation unit. You will need one if you haven't got navigation in your car)

Bluetooth antenna (You could use the existing one if you already have Bluetooth in your car. If you have a MULF the wiring from the Bluetooth antenna will go to the boot. It will be more convenient to get a new one than pull wires from the back all the way to the front and they don't cost much on ebay)
Armrest USB and AUX port (Get one if you want one under the armrest if not get the one below which will go in the glovebox)

NBT Display cable (To connect NBT unit to screen. IMPORTANT: Get one that's atleast 60cm)
USB port for glovebox (Optional. Only needed if you dont have one under the armrest or if you rather have one in the glovebox)
Fakra USB cable 1.5 meters (This is required to connect the USB under the armrest to the NBT UNIT. Available on ebay)
MOST loop terminators (This is needed to stop the breakage in the fibre optic cable. 1 needed if you have a TCU or MULF. Get 2 of you have a TCU and MULF)

8 3/8" screws X2 (To connect CIC facia to trim. IMPORTANT: Make sure these are not too long. If they are, you will come out the front of the trim when you screw them in. I couldn't find this size, but I had a few at home that were short enough to fit.
#6 washers X2
6x35mm bolts with nuts X2
M10 washers X2

Tools required

Plastic trim removal tool kit (Highly recommend. They are only a few pounds on ebay. Theres nothing worse than scratching your dashboard or trim using screwdrivers) Philps screwdriver
T20 Hex screwdriver
Small flathead screwdriver
Ratchet with size 10 socket
Dremmel or Small hacksaw
Metal File

Prerequisites

Before you begin, it might be a good idea to get some things out of the way before you start the installation

Modifying the storage compartment to for the screen.

If you are going to fit this to a CIC casing skip this step and take a look at post #2 on this thread.

Start by removing the 2 pins underneath the compartment that hold the hinges together. Use a pair of pliars and pull. You might need to apply a bit of force before they come out. Now remove the 2 tabs on the hinges on bith sides of the compartment. You should now be able to pull the lid off.

Drill 2 holes using a 16mm spade bit on the marked locations. This will allow the screen to sit a bit closer to the front of the dash compartment.

You will also have to widen the holes marked so the mounting holes align with the screen mounting points. Secure the screen using the 2 bolts nuts and washers. Bolt and washer will go on the outside of the storage compartment and the nuts on the inside of the compartment.

Trimming the idrive controller trim.

As the controller is not made for the E series 1 series some trimming to the controller trim will be needed to make it fit. Start by removing the tabs using a dremmel or small hacksaw that protrude making sure the clips on the front and back of the trim are flush so the controller can sit down flush.

Trimming the touch controller

Using a junior hacksaw remove the 3 mounting holes from the controller as shown. (Sorry, I forget to take a picture of this. It will make sense when you do it)

Connecting the module cables to the wiring loom.

Twist and join the wires from the Wiring loom to the ENBT module as shown in the diagram included with the module. Please note: The diagram might not make sense at first as the colour of the cables wont match the diagram. Hold the cable so that the connector is facing away from you and it will make alot more sense. Use some heat shrink to protect and tidy the cables up.

How to remove existing navigation

Remove the positive cable off the battery before you start as a precaution.

Start by taking off the trim using the plastic pry tool. Insert the trim tool in the position marked in the picture below and pry it up. Once removed set the piece aside.

Now inserts the trim tool in the marked location and once again pry carefully to remove the trim. Once removed there will be 3 connectors connected to the climate control panel. Gently press the tabs down and remove the connectors.

Now remove the trim around the head unit in the 4 marked possitions.

To remove the headunit. Remove the 4 philips screws that hold the head unit in place. Once out unit is out remove the large quadlock connector, GPS connector (Blue fakra connector), FM antenna (Black Fakra connector) Display connector And the connector that's connects to the fan. Removing the connector can be tricky. Use a very small flathead screwdriver to push the pin and pull the connector out

Remove the centre vents by using the pry tool in the 3 locations. You will hear a snap once it is loosened. Once loosened remove the vent carefully as the cable is quite short that connects to the hazzard, DSC, door lock switch. Remove the connector by pulling it.

Next remove the the display by removing 2 T20 screws marked below. There are also 2 screws behind the screen. You will have to manually raise the screen by hand halfway and the screws will be visible. Remove the white plastic connector. Be careful when removing the screen cable. The cable is connected to the dashboard with clips. You will have to loosen this clip before trying to remove the cable. Take the screen and set it aside.

Everything should now be removed.

Now that everything in the front of the dash is removed you need to remove the idrive trim and controller. Note that the CCC controller and trim are one piece. Pry up in the marked locations and remove the connector.

Now to the USB and AUX port. This can be a bit tricky as there is very limited room around the trim. The best thing to do is to pry it up from one side and leave the pry tool in the gap. Use a second pry tool to remove the rest of the clips.

Once that is done go ahead and remove the gear gaiter. Start by pulling in the marked locations and the gaiter should pop off.

Remove the the trim around the gaiter by pulling it gently. With that out of the way remove the rubber around the gear stick by pulling it out gently.

If you have a TCU or MULF in the boot you will need to terminate the MOST loop. Start by removing the 2 size 10 bolts that hold the TCU and MULF to the bracket. Once removed, unclip the MOST cable from both of them and plug the MOST loop terminator on both the unplugged cables. You can now bolt the bracket back to the boot floor.

Routing new cables

Now that everything is been removed we will work on how to route cables to the NBT unit

Dab Antenna.

For this you will need to remove the passenger side A pillar trim. Start by removing airbag clip on the trim piece. Remove the T20 followed by the metal clip. Now remove the rubber around the door and the panel should slide out. Remove the tape on the antenna and stick it on the windscreen. Don't put the panel back yet as you will have to put the mic cable in there too. More on this later.

Bluetooth antenna.

This can be mounted anywhere in the car. The closer it is to the front of the car the better. I mounted mine under the steering wheel column on the left. Route the cable to the NBT unit

GPS antenna.

If you already have the factory GPS then you can skip this step. I'm not sure where the best place for would be as i have the factory one. Some people mount it inside the dash next to the air vents without problems.

Wiring loom.

As there will be a bunch of extra wiring going behind the NBT unit you will have to do some cable management so everything fits.

Connect one side of the wiring looms quadlock connector to the original quadlock connector in the car.

Remove the fibre optic cable from the cars quadlock connector and connect it to the quadlock connector that is going to be inserted into the NBT unit (green and black cable)

Now route Ethernet cable to the glovebox

Route the microphone cable under the glovebox and up the A pillar to the microphone in the roof (You can replace the pillar panel once this is done)

Now route 2 idrive controller connectors down the center column to the idrive controller. Also route the Fakra USB cable down the centre column to the USB port.

Connect the cable from the wiring loom to the ENBT module and place the module in the void below the NBT unit. Remember to route the pink connector under the nbt to the front of the dash so you can connect it to the CIC facia. Take care not to brake the small pin on the pink connecter. If you brake this, you will loose your warranty.

Connecting everything together.

This should be easy as all cabling should be in place ready to connect.

Connect the cables to the NBT as follows GPS antenna - Blue connector
FM antenna - Black connector
DAB Antenna - Green connector
Bluetooth antenna - Small yellow connector
USB Port in armrest - Light yellow connector
USB in glovebox - Dark yellow (AKA Curry connector)

Picture below will make more sense.

If like me, you came from a CCC unit the dash may require some trimming for NBT unit to fit in. The left side will fit fine while the right side will require some trimming.

Please note: the CIC facia does not connect to the NBT unit itself. The facia will have to be secured to the trim using screws and washers listed in the parts list.

Start by cutting the metal pins marked in yellow with a hacksaw. Don't cut too much off. Start by cutting 1/2cm off. A little trial and error will help here.

Now cut off the 2 tabs marked in purple

Finally use the small screws and washers marked in orange to secure the CIC facia to the trim. (You will also have to put around 1/2cm off the mounting hole on the trim so the the screw can hold the facia in. Sorry, I didn't take pictures of this, but it will make sense when you get to it)

Be very very carefull when plugging in the pink connecter to the CIC facia. Although the connector will fit upside down you will brake the pin and damage the module beyond repair and also invalidate the warranty on the module (Sorry, forgot to take a picture of this)

Connecting the idrive touch controller

Insert 5 clips into the idrive controller trim listed in the parts list. As there is no mounting holes to secure the touch controller to the trim, you will have to place the touch ECU directly under the touch controller. When you push the controller down it will sit on top of the ECU and stop it falling down or moving. Remember to plug the cable to the touch ECU and controller

Plug the USB fakra cable into the USB port under the armrest if you are using one.

Mount the screen to the dash and secure using screws the screws from your original CCC screen.

Once that is done. It might be a good idea to test everything is working before putting NBT unit in. Note: You won't get sound until you code the car.

Once everything is working you can go ahead and reverse the removal process to make everything fit.

So here it is all done! I'm still not happy with the way the screen is sitting. I will be making more modification to the storage bin over the coming weeks and post back

Coding

Now that installation is finished, the NBT unit will need to be coded using the ethernet cable you put in the glovebox. If you bought the adaptor from You will have to extract the .NCD file from the NBT unit using E-SYS software. Once you have this, send the file along with your cars VIN to NEO. He will edit all the parameters on the file and send the file back to you. Finally, upload the edited file back to the NBT unit using E-SYS software. Your car should now be fully coded.

Well, that's it guys. Hopefully I haven't missed anything out. I hope you enjoyed this guide. it took a lot of time and effort doing all the research. Hopefully will see more NBT retrofits in the 1 series :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Having used the car for a few days, I wasn't too happy with the way the screen was sitting as it took most of the visibility away and was somewhat dangerous while driving. So when a E82 CIC screen came up for a decent price I snapped I up without second thought. Now the visibility has been massively improved and it looks alot like the factory setup.

You need to remove the screen from the CIC unit and replace it with the NBT screen. They both use a 8.8" screen.

Sorry I didn't take much pictures of the process so I'll most if it will be in writing.

Removing NBT screen

Using a small screwdriver pull tabs up the back of the nbt screen and the back cover will pop off. The glass of the front of the NBT screen will need to be pulled off as it held on by glue. I used a hair dryer to soften the glue up before I pulled it off. The glass will break in the process but that's ok.

Removing screen from E82 CIC screen

Start by inserting a small screwdriver in the tabs on the back and pull the back cover off. Now remove 4 screws that hold the screen together. Also remove the metal bracket on both sides.

Installing the NBT screen in the CIC casing

Place the NBT screen on the casing and screw in 2 screws on the bottom to hold the screen in. (You can see the screws in the pictures below) There is no way to screw the top part of the screen to the casing as there isn't any mounting holes in the top. I just roller up some cardboard and placed it on the top of the screen and pushed the CIC cover back on. This should stop the screen falling back in the casing. It fits in there very tightly and there's no way the screen will move now.

You can now mount the screen to the dashboard.

The final result :D

#5 ·
Jack@AUTOID said:
How much was this all in ? Will be the first thing I do when I get the cae
It depends on how if the car has navigation to begin with. If you don't have it you will have to to get extra trim pieces to make everything fit. You're looking at around £1200 - £1300

It cost me around £1300. I know it's a lot of money but tonk it's worth every penny. It's a massive jump up from CCC Navigation. Everything is soo smooth and fast. I can still sell the old navigation and get some money back.

I managed to source a CIC screen for a decent price and have now taken the screen off the dash and mounted it on the original CIC frame. It looks like factory now. I wasn't too happy with the way it was sitting on the dash using the storage compartment. I'll editing post later on today and post some more pictures.

#6 ·
kas206 said:
Jack@AUTOID said:
It depends on how if the car has navigation to begin with. If you don't have it you will have to to get extra trim pieces to make everything fit. You're looking at around £1200 - £1300

It cost me around £1300. I know it's a lot of money but tonk it's worth every penny. It's a massive jump up from CCC Navigation. Everything is soo smooth and fast. I can still sell the old navigation and get some money back.

I managed to source a CIC screen for a decent price and have now taken the screen off the dash and mounted it on the original CIC frame. It looks like factory now. I wasn't too happy with the way it was sitting on the dash using the storage compartment. I'll editing post later on today and post some more pictures.
Yeah please do mate. I am buying my LE coming from a 2017 Audi TT so the interior will be a step down and this will definitely help to make it feel a bit modern again!

#7 ·
kas206 said:
Jack@AUTOID said:

Also, do you think a 10.25 screen will fit? Thinking going with an Android unit may work and be a little cheaper?

Though could ruin a few of the cars functions?

#8 ·
Jack@AUTOID said:
kas206 said:
Jack@AUTOID said:

Also, do you think a 10.25 screen will fit? Thinking going with an Android unit may work and be a little cheaper?

Though could ruin a few of the cars functions?
10.25" will fit if you are mounting it on top of the dashboard. It won't fit in the CIC casing as that uses a 8.8" screen. Also I wouldn't recommend it, as it will reduce your visibility from the windscreen. That's the reason I removed it and I had a 8.8" screen. 10" would be reduced it even further. There are also 8.8" android ones if you want to go down that route.

#9 ·
I have just added the pictures in post 2.

#11 ·
docwra said:
Superb effort, great writeup too :)
Thanks! It took alot of time and effort but it was worth it in the end.

#13 ·
Jack@AUTOID said:
Going to begin sourcing parts for this. Would you be interested in helping with fitting for a price? :)
Yes, I don't mind. PM me and we can sort something out.

#17 ·
Pics work fine for me.

Also, to the OP, after all this time how have you found the reliability? I'm considering fitting one of these to my 2012 135i. I have CiC with Nav now, but i'd rather have the ability to use something like Waze. Also, I believe I can place MHD on this and get my gauges to work via an USB connection on the rear of it.

#19 ·
Rubix_Cube said:
Pics work fine for me.

Also, to the OP, after all this time how have you found the reliability? I'm considering fitting one of these to my 2012 135i. I have CiC with Nav now, but i'd rather have the ability to use something like Waze. Also, I believe I can place MHD on this and get my gauges to work via an USB connection on the rear of it.
It's been very reliable. Never had a problem since doing the installation. You can't put any apps like Waze or MHD it. This is the factory unit made by BMW. They don't allow any third party apps unless it's built in such as Spotify. I think you're getting it confused with an aftermarket android unit

#20 ·
kas206 said:
Rubix_Cube said:
Pics work fine for me.

It's been very reliable. Never had a problem since doing the installation. You can't put any apps like Waze or MHD it. This is the factory unit made by BMW. They don't allow any third party apps unless it's built in such as Spotify. I think you're getting it confused with an aftermarket android unit
I was getting confused! Lol

#21 ·
Great Thread should be a sticky!

I'm looking at doing this on my E82 2009.

Had some issues trying to determine what system I already had in there and as I had a single slot fascia all online advice pointed to CIC but it wasn't until I opened her up I discovered it was a MASK 2 system!

My question is can i still do the the NBT retro fit with MASK 2 Innards (as they say)?

Terry

#23 ·
I would suspect you can do NBT evo, however this is dependent on whether or not you can find an ENBTevo emulator. You could try a janky setup with an nbt-nbt evo emulator and an enbt emulator, however this is likely to be buggy at best. If the ENBT evo emulator exists, then you would be able to follow this guide exactly, just with a different emulator. Potentially bump into programming issues, however im sure you can ask about on the forums to find someone who can help you out with that.

#25 ·
I the eBay seller sells them anymore. I looked around for another user on here and it seems there isn't anyone selling them on eBay. I think will make you a custom one on request. This is the company I bought my adapter from.

I'll also be removing mine as I'll be selling my car soon. Let me know if your interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.