Baby BMW Forum banner

Brake disc change DIY available?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GeoffCollins 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

My M135i is going to be needing a disc and pads change fairly soon.

Is there a DIY to help me through the process? I've managed to find one for pads, but I've yet to find one for the discs too.

Thanks in advance,
Fazi

#3 ·
Before going to all the trouble of taking the calipers/carriers off I'd suggest trying to remove the disc retaining bolt. If it doesn't budge you're probably going to need to get a professional to remove it, or drill it out if that is also not too much of a diy task.

#4 ·
nivens said:
I don't think the theory will be too different from this video, everything will probably be seized but the idea's the same.

Yeah this basically the exact same as our cars :) caliper is easy to remove and replace :)

I always find its good to take a few pictures before you start just so when your done you can check against them and see if your all the same

#5 ·
nivens said:
I don't think the theory will be too different from this video, everything will probably be seized but the idea's the same.

Thanks for the link - I think the calipers are different in the video, but I'm sure I could adapt from it.

#6 ·
Fritz said:
Before going to all the trouble of taking the calipers/carriers off I'd suggest trying to remove the disc retaining bolt. If it doesn't budge you're probably going to need to get a professional to remove it, or drill it out if that is also not too much of a diy task.
I'll be sure to check this before removing the calipers! Thanks for the heads up :)

#7 ·
GeoffCollins said:
nivens said:

Yeah this basically the exact same as our cars :) caliper is easy to remove and replace :)

I always find its good to take a few pictures before you start just so when your done you can check against them and see if your all the same
Thanks bud! It's good to hear the video will work for us - much appreciated.

#8 ·
Also make sure you dont allow the caliper to hang from the brake lines once removed, prop it up with something else while your changing the disk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.