Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

moraywalker

Re: Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Postby moraywalker » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:57 pm

This post has been a godsend!!!!

However, now a different problem......

I've just recoded the car for the lci rear light upgrade......all good!

However, now my pdc doesn't work....for the first time, giving me the yellow warning sign???

The pdc unit was wrapped in a sandwich bag (due to the earlier fix) so I don't think it was that.....

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

monkyken
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby monkyken » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm

moraywalker wrote:This post has been a godsend!!!!

However, now a different problem......

I've just recoded the car for the lci rear light upgrade......all good!

However, now my pdc doesn't work....for the first time, giving me the yellow warning sign???

The pdc unit was wrapped in a sandwich bag (due to the earlier fix) so I don't think it was that.....

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

We had a lot of rain recently, flood worthy, any chance the bag could have opened and condensation has managed to get in?
Current: Black E82 120D 217bhp, Bola Msh wheels : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85054

moraywalker

Postby moraywalker » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks for getting back!
Well it was working before the recode....I checked the bag covering the module and the bag was wet outside, I tore the bag open and it felt fine, I opened the module and there was no sign of moisture!!
So I've not put the module back in the mount, I've left it out of the bag for the moment, but mounted higher up to maybe dry out? (Or at least get away from the bottom, where the moisture sits!)
I've looked through my coding from yesterday, and the pdc setting are the same as my backup, so I don't think it was the coding, but it's strange that this has happened since the coding.....I've busted a rib, so the car hasn't been anywhere!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkyken
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby monkyken » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm

moraywalker wrote:Thanks for getting back!
Well it was working before the recode....I checked the bag covering the module and the bag was wet outside, I tore the bag open and it felt fine, I opened the module and there was no sign of moisture!!
So I've not put the module back in the mount, I've left it out of the bag for the moment, but mounted higher up to maybe dry out? (Or at least get away from the bottom, where the moisture sits!)
I've looked through my coding from yesterday, and the pdc setting are the same as my backup, so I don't think it was the coding, but it's strange that this has happened since the coding.....I've busted a rib, so the car hasn't been anywhere!!!!!

Could be one of the actual sensors has gone, do you have something you can read the fault with? alternatively take the PDC out whack it in a bag of rice for a day or so and see if it goes away?
Current: Black E82 120D 217bhp, Bola Msh wheels : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85054

moraywalker

Postby moraywalker » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Well I left the car in reverse and tried the clicking test.....I heard nothing from any of them....I think I'll take the module out again.....BAH!! (At least that's a five minute job!)
I've got a software cable (hence the coding) but I've no idea about fault finding at all!!

moraywalker

Get to your PDC unit (water issue)

Postby moraywalker » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:32 pm

After much fiddling, I think I have the answer......I bought a replacement pdc module, based on the alternatives that suited my car, based on the existing pdc module.........BUT......it seems the existing pdc module in the car was the wrong one, and I have bought a wrong replacement (still with me?)..... As a result I now have a pdc module which wants to connect to front pdc (which I don't have) and gives me errors as a result.......OR......I have installed a pro hu, and it's no longer speaking to it as its not a business unit.

I take it, there's no coding solution here? I have the correct vo code (I.e $507 - rear pdc)

This unit was working perfectly, before I did some recoding.....

Or can the items on this photo be dealt with?Image

Can anyone advise me further??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spanner5351

Postby spanner5351 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi guys,

having just faced this same issue with the PDC unit being water logged and the lower chip legs broken due to corrosion, i wanted to throw my 2 pence in about keeping your new PDC unit safe from water (naturally finding how the water gets in is the first option), however:

On my new replacement, i took the board out of the plastic casing and gave it 3 coats of PCB Lacquer in order to make the whole board/chips waterproof to some extent (not sure why this isnt a standard process in the factory from BMW).

I then put the board back in the plastic casing, then used waterproof silicone (shower silicone), to seal the slot opening of the plastic casing.
Sure this will make it a little difficult if i ever need to open it in the future, but i am hoping i wont need to as water should not be able to penetrate the casing.

Hope this helps someone from replacing a second PDC unit... :P

Steve_e82

Postby Steve_e82 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi everyone
After googling my problem it brought me here and by looks of things it's a pretty horrid common problem with the parking module getting water damaged .
I have a 120d . Coupe .09 174bhp e82.

I'm hoping some one could help by giving me some guidance . I've cleaned and dried the module and it shows 2 legs on the black chip that's on circuit slightly corroded .
Can this be saved ?
I've seen a vid on you tube that a guy solder'd a wire to the first silver round thing that's right of the chip ??
Sorry not a great discription .
And also I would like to ask if im lucky to Fix it does it have to be reprogrammed to my car and the same if I actually had to buy a new one would it need reprogramming or can it just be plugged in and be ok .
Hope it all makes sense and thank you in advance to any replies

tyson629

Postby tyson629 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:41 pm

After having a similar issue with the PDC unit working on and off for the past couple of weeks on my BMW 1 Series 116, came across the article and it was a godsend. Opened up the trim to find less than 5 mm of water at the bottom (so wasn't as bad as some folks here), Cleaned up the water and dried the PDC and placed a plastic cover between the polystyrene holster and the PDC. Finally put it all back together and looks to be working well. Will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and see how it goes. This is my first ever BMW that I purchased about 3 months ago and really shocked at some of the build quality, already have a failed MULF module in the boot that was most likely caused by moister as well :roll: :roll:

But thanks OP, even though the initial post was from 2011, it is still helping users in 2016 :)

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Nottsknots » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:25 pm

tyson629 wrote:After having a similar issue with the PDC unit working on and off for the past couple of weeks on my BMW 1 Series 116, came across the article and it was a godsend. Opened up the trim to find less than 5 mm of water at the bottom (so wasn't as bad as some folks here), Cleaned up the water and dried the PDC and placed a plastic cover between the polystyrene holster and the PDC. Finally put it all back together and looks to be working well. Will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and see how it goes. This is my first ever BMW that I purchased about 3 months ago and really shocked at some of the build quality, already have a failed MULF module in the boot that was most likely caused by moister as well :roll: :roll:

But thanks OP, even though the initial post was from 2011, it is still helping users in 2016 :)

Worth checking the common problems thread too, and check you dont have water under the rear seat.

The plastic cover probably wont do much to prevent your PDC problem again. I stuck mine in a plastic bag, but moisture just gets in anyway. I did two things:
1) drilled a couple of 2mm holes in the plastic bungs at the bottom of the well, to drain out any water that does get in
2) sealed around the edge of the vent with roofing bitumin-based mastic (sticks to anything, and has stopped more water getting in). Others on here have had success with standard silicone sealant, but I wasnt sure it would stick to the coating that was left on my body panels, so opted for bituimin-based.

You might be lucky, but if when you check in a few weeks you still have water, consider prevention as well treating the symptom :)
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

tyson629

Postby tyson629 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
tyson629 wrote:After having a similar issue with the PDC unit working on and off for the past couple of weeks on my BMW 1 Series 116, came across the article and it was a godsend. Opened up the trim to find less than 5 mm of water at the bottom (so wasn't as bad as some folks here), Cleaned up the water and dried the PDC and placed a plastic cover between the polystyrene holster and the PDC. Finally put it all back together and looks to be working well. Will keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and see how it goes. This is my first ever BMW that I purchased about 3 months ago and really shocked at some of the build quality, already have a failed MULF module in the boot that was most likely caused by moister as well :roll: :roll:

Worth checking the common problems thread too, and check you dont have water under the rear seat.

The plastic cover probably wont do much to prevent your PDC problem again. I stuck mine in a plastic bag, but moisture just gets in anyway. I did two things:
1) drilled a couple of 2mm holes in the plastic bungs at the bottom of the well, to drain out any water that does get in
2) sealed around the edge of the vent with roofing bitumin-based mastic (sticks to anything, and has stopped more water getting in). Others on here have had success with standard silicone sealant, but I wasnt sure it would stick to the coating that was left on my body panels, so opted for bituimin-based.

You might be lucky, but if when you check in a few weeks you still have water, consider prevention as well treating the symptom :)

Thankfully there is no water residue under the rear seat. I will check again next week near the PDC and the opposite side, as there might be some heavy showers during the week.

Steve_e82

Postby Steve_e82 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:16 pm

:spotman: even thou my post was never answered directly I actually took my time reading all 16 pages of this post and It really did help me out and answered all my questions.
In the end I checked eBay and did my home work to find a module from quarry motors . Only 40 pound including post . As long as the main part number is the same it will plug in and wor right away . Now I can lazy reverse again ;)

Mil300

Postby Mil300 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for this guide, it was awesome to help me remove my water damaged pdc from my 2009 135i convertible!

The a pdc off eBay part 61.35-9134708 makes my comfort access work again however the front & rear parking sensors don't work.

Any ideas why this is? Could it be a fuse gone or maybe the pdc I bought only has comfort access & no front/rear parking distance control?

Any idea how I can get my parking sensors working again? :(

Thanks lee

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby marco_polo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Mil300 wrote:Hi guys,

Thank you for this guide, it was awesome to help me remove my water damaged pdc from my 2009 135i convertible!

The a pdc off eBay part 61.35-9134708 makes my comfort access work again however the front & rear parking sensors don't work.

Any ideas why this is? Could it be a fuse gone or maybe the pdc I bought only has comfort access & no front/rear parking distance control?

Any idea how I can get my parking sensors working again? :(

Thanks lee

What was the part number of the original PDC module?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - 245/35 Goodyear Asym 3's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Mil300

Postby Mil300 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:22 pm

The one I bought off eBay is the exact same part number as mine 61.35-9134708.

I read somewhere there is different comfort packs depending on the trim/yr of the car which makes me think the pdc modules could be programmed differently?

Mine is a 2009 but is has the newer idrive control and idrive facia with the front/rear parking distance control. Not sure if this makes any difference?

Looking at the description of the part on eBay there isn't actually any mention of parking control, just comfort access although the unit is identical.

Return to “How To's”