Cruise control retrofit

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Cruise control retrofit

Post by Nottsknots » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Cabbie wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 am
OK, I can definitively say you can not use a non-MSFW on an MSFW car by just swapping out the clock spring.

On non-MSFW controls it is not just missing the guts on the clock spring itself, but also on the stalks section.
It will never work.
I suspected as much, but I think your answer is as definitive as anyone is ever going to give, so you've added knowledge :D

From what you have in front of you, do you think if you had the "stalk section" from a MFSW switch set (withOUT cruise), and put it together with your "cruise but not MFSW" you could make one that gives you all the things you need? I have the old one from my car (MFSW, auto wiper, rear wiper, without cruise) that you could have for postage if it helps (I was going to sell it, but never got around to it, and cant be ar$ed). Add your clock and your cruise stalk, and it might give a complete cruise unit? If you want, I can take some pics to help see what its got, and whether you think it can be used to assemble something useful.

Or, following my own logic (if indeed logic is the right term :roll: ), could you just add the extra cruise stalk from the unit you bought to your existing unit? Do the stalk switches go through a connector rather than the clock (slip ring), as they dont need to turn with the steering wheel?
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Delarioo

Post by Delarioo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Can anyone clear up with MSFW stands for ? Is it the multi function wheel or?
E87 116i Sparkling Graphite - Current

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Cruise control retrofit

Post by Twenny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Delarioo wrote:Can anyone clear up with MSFW stands for ? Is it the multi function wheel or?

http://bfy.tw/BKtM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Delarioo

Post by Delarioo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Twenny wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm
Delarioo wrote:Can anyone clear up with MSFW stands for ? Is it the multi function wheel or?

http://bfy.tw/BKtM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clearly googling the wrong thing.. kept linking back to other articles my bad! Thanks
E87 116i Sparkling Graphite - Current

harryv8

Post by harryv8 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,
Can Ista P be used to code the module or is it easier to use NCSexpert?

Is the procedure the same for fitting auto cruise control or is this not possible?

Thank you.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi,

I've hit a snag while trying to retrofit cruise control to my Z4 E89, I've run through the coding and coded ZDSC and KOMBI. However when I start the car I get a CC warning light, and if I try and use CC while driving I can see the speed display, but the CC only activates briefly before switching off again?

Any ideas what I might have missed, or should I try coding the units again?

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Did you add 540 or 544?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Mon May 01, 2017 11:19 pm

I added $544, as that was what other E89 owners have added, the part I fitted is 9123049-03.

I purchased a Caddy Shack cable and it came with NCSExpert v4. I tried to use the normal Expertmode profile but it gave a v2 error message, so I used Expertmode (v3), would that make a difference?

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 am

Tumnus wrote:I added $544, as that was what other E89 owners have added, the part I fitted is 9123049-03.

I purchased a Caddy Shack cable and it came with NCSExpert v4. I tried to use the normal Expertmode profile but it gave a v2 error message, so I used Expertmode (v3), would that make a difference?
You add 540 if you have a 4 cylinder engine, 544 if it's a 6 cylinder.

I don't use the profiles that come with the cable, ask Jimmy from Cable Shack.

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 am

Wibbles wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 am
Tumnus wrote:I added $544, as that was what other E89 owners have added, the part I fitted is 9123049-03.

You add 540 if you have a 4 cylinder engine, 544 if it's a 6 cylinder.

I don't use the profiles that come with the cable, ask Jimmy from Cable Shack.
Yes it's a 6 cyl. Is there a way to run a diagnostic test on the cruise control, as I guess the unit could be faulty?

I'll contact Jimmy about the profiles, thanks for your help!

Supercell

Post by Supercell » Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 pm

I've fitted the steering wheel controls to my F20 for cruise control, and I have Carly Pro, how do you activate the full cruise control set up? Scared of wiping my car :lol:

Tumnus

Post by Tumnus » Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 am

I managed to get my cruise control working in the end by resetting the ZDSC and KOMBI modules back to their default settings.

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Supercell wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 pm
I've fitted the steering wheel controls to my F20 for cruise control, and I have Carly Pro, how do you activate the full cruise control set up? Scared of wiping my car :lol:
You cant, you need esys.

SupernoodlesRS

Post by SupernoodlesRS » Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 pm

Cabbie wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 am
OK, I can definitively say you can not use a non-MSFW on an MSFW car by just swapping out the clock spring.

On non-MSFW controls it is not just missing the guts on the clock spring itself, but also on the stalks section.
It will never work.

I know it has been bandied about earlier, but there was some debate back and forth about swapping the clock spring.

I bought a cruise control set from another member on here and he said he had it in his car with MSFW after swapping the clock spring. Not sure how that could be the case, but not trying to cast doubt or anything on him either.

OK, so that leaves me with a set of controls for an E87 with rear wipers, non-auto wipers, non-MSFW that are surplus and a need for a set for an E87 with rear wipers, non-auto wipers, MSFW. I don't suppose anyone needs to do a swap do they after buying the wrong set?

May have to sell this set and buy the correct set.
That's really interesting! I fitted my cruise control yeaterday and lost my mfsw, took off the whole slip ring assembly again today and fitted the clock spring cartridge off my non cruise setup and the mfsw worked perfectly as before! I wonder if the slip ring srtup I initially bought had a broken wire in the clock spring cartridge then? I didn't have any lights on the steering buttons and after swapping clock spring it all works perfectly and actually is more responsive than previously (atleast it feels like it).

SupernoodlesRS

Post by SupernoodlesRS » Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Madslae wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 am
Thank you guys. I appreciate your answers
Wibbles wrote:It's only DSC & KOMBI. Then run the Tool32 job
I just gave the last part of the guide another try. I have the German version. I come to the point where I see the parts to get coded. DSC and KOMBI are both there so that should be fine. When I'm processing the car afterwards it does the "christmas tree". BUT it stops and says that the coding failed showing a small window which says:

"Fehler in CABD! Siehe CABI.ERR und ERROR.LOG!
COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht IFH-0009: SG nicht angeschlossen oder meldet sich nicht FRM-87
COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht SG_codieren"

My German isn't good, but as I understand it:

There's a fail in CABD (wonder what that is). Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG!
COAPI-2020: ECU doesn't answer IFH-0009: ECU isn't associated or doesn't "answer" FRM-87
COAPI-2020: ECU doesn't answer ECU-coding

So what does this mean? :shock:
I know this is an old post but I had the exact same issue yesterday. KOMBI was first in the list to code on NCSExpert then next was 2mulf and it kept failing with the same error code. I got around this by setting the DSC ecu to code individually and it worked perfectly fine. I couldn't get DIS to load the car or the error codes to recalibrate the angle sensor but my car hasn't thrown a fault code and works perfectly fine so I've left it and it drives perfectly with everything working.

Just as a question other than the display telling me what speed the cruise is set to is there any other dash lights or anything that lights up with it engaged???

Return to “How To's”