Baby BMW Forum banner

E81, E82, E87, E88 (and E90, E91, E92, E93!) Cruise Control Retrofit and Coding Guide - with PDF download!

E8x 
154K views 372 replies 109 participants last post by  Nyxeris 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is a guide to installing Cruise Control (option $540/SA540/S540A depending on where you are) on any E81,E82, E87 or E88. It will also apply to the E90, E91, E92 or E93 although you might need to tweak the coding slightly!

First off, @eqcons did this a while back in this thread, nice work mate!

The PDFs are here, split into two parts to make life easier.
Files are also attached to this post in case the links expire.

-----IMPORTANT MESSAGE-----
On page 18 of the second PDF covering coding, there is an instruction to click F3 to select "Process Car". DO NOT DO THIS. Instead, press F4 or click "Process ECU", choose the DSC module, code it, then repeat for the KOMBI.

This was the normal approach when these instructions were written in 2011; however, it is now understood that processing the entire car comes with a high risk of failure, which may lead to corrupted ECUs that will require professional repair. Additionally, it's completely unnecessary as most modules will not need coding. The approach of only coding the required modules (DSC and Kombi in this case) is much quicker, and carries significantly less risk.
-----END IMPORTANT MESSAGE-----

Any spelling mistakes were the fault of beer and not my own! Any download issues, please let me know.

Apologies for the pics being average, iPhone cameras are junk, fact.

Edited by admin to fix formatting since the forum software upgrade, add the important message, and attach files directly to this post as a backup.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
rob-the-viking said:
Thanks gents, the real test will be when someone brave enough (That's you John!) uses the guide to do his own!

Should have part two done in a few days.
:lol2: John is waiting on me to get one with auto wipers so we can swap, but i'm waiting on you to do the second part of the write up. :D

#7 ·
Fantastic write up mate :)

I am thinking of just going ahead and buying the right slipring for my car as im itching to do this with the impending 100 mile commute that I will be doing for my new job!

Looking forward to the next instalment. (just need to get the dam S/W installed now!)

#9 ·
Part 2 is done.

Please be warned, if you stray fro the instructions you do have the potential to brick modules in your car, be careful folks!!!!!!!

Sorry the steering angle sensor calibration is a little vague at the end, but it is pretty straight forward. If I figured it out, anyone can!

Any questions, please fire away, i will help where i can.

If you don't fancy the fit or the coding part, i can fit and code it for you, but you will have to come to me, i'm in north east cambs, post code PE15.

The fee for this coding will be 2 packets of hobnobs, or a bottle of red wine, or a donation to the forum!!

#10 ·
#11 ·
rob-the-viking said:
Right as mentioned in part two you'll need an OBD lead. If your car is 2007 onwards, you need a d-can lead, .

If your can was born before 01/2007 you can use a modified VAGCOM lead for your coding. J1mmy sells these for about £30 all in and they include software. That is a bargain folks!
Great write up! Thanks a lot!

Would I be able to code the rear lights of my car if I buy J1mmy's lead and get the referenced software? What I'm thinking about, is the coding that switches off DRL in the upper and lower parts of the LED tail lights.

#13 ·
Nice one Rob!

I am amazed how you ever figured out all that lot! Well done :)
When I fitted cruise to my old VW Bora it was child's play compared to this!

Just need to find my self a suitable switch unit and get the S/W sorted now and ill give it a go.

Many thanks again,
Matt

#16 ·
Hi Rob,

I bought that slip ring for my 2008 E82 coupe with mfsw with no auto wipers or rear wash/wipe. I take it I'll need a new cowling for the extra cruise stalk to go through?

Edit; just looked through the forum an eqcons has given the part number for the lower shroud of the steering column: 61316950263.

Just seeing which d-cann lead will be the best (cheapest...).

Cheers, Craig

#17 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, to coding and many other things and need your help. Have a 120d without mfsw and want to retrofit it. So started my search here in the Netherlands for a slip ring with cruise control, mfsw buttons and the trim. After some good searching i only find a slip ring with mfsw, the buttons and the trim. Unfortinetly no cruise control, i bought it anyway and installed everything following the DIY that Rob has made.

I followed the same coding part, but added 1 option to the VO and that is $249 for mfsw and coded the car, but the msfw still doesn't work.

Anyone has an idea? Help would me appreciated!!

Greets!

#20 ·
You will need to recalibrate the steering angle sensor afterwards mate, this should get rid of all the lights! You might want to update the daten files to the latest versions too, if your car has been coded/updated at BMW this could cause issues if you try to use older software.

#21 ·
During the coding proces my dash was lit,now i don't have any lights lit.

I have bought my car april 2011, but my 120d is from 06/2005 and don't know if my car is updated/coded by BMW. But I will definetly update the daten files. When using NCS, load profile, I see two options to choose for Expertmode, could this may be the problem?? And after installation of the slip ring, I don't have any lights or so, but do I have to calibrate the steering angle sensor anyway?

btw, thanks for replying Rob!! :D

#22 ·
Strange one thin. Car you see $249 in the options list one you have added it? Which version of NCS are you using?

When I added cruise I needed to recalibrate the steering angle sensor to get rid of the lights on the dash. Soed the coding succeed for all modules when you do 'sg_codieren'? I added the option code for MFSW, but have not gotten around to buying the panel I need! Looking at BMW's guide, all you replace is the slip ring then code it. Perhaps there is some more coding to be carried out, possiblt in the IHKA and RAD modules some values need changing. I'll do some digging and get back to you mate.

#23 ·
Hey Rob,

First of all i did a clean installation of INPA/NCS/EDIABAS and then retryed the coding, I did again follow your DIY and at the step that I have to add the option $249 (btw i see that i'm using a dollar sign, is this correct?) I already did see it there. I just completed your DIY without the steering angle sensor calibration and it's still not working.

I'm using the 3.1.0 version of NCS and cant see the version of the DATEN files, I'm downloading V40 anyway.
All the coding went well and I had to set my time afterwards.

Thnx!!!

#24 ·
Antepliseydo said:
Hey Rob,

First of all i did a clean installation of INPA/NCS/EDIABAS and then retryed the coding, I did again follow your DIY and at the step that I have to add the option $249 (btw i see that i'm using a dollar sign, is this correct?) I already did see it there. I just completed your DIY without the steering angle sensor calibration and it's still not working.

I'm using the 3.1.0 version of NCS and cant see the version of the DATEN files, I'm downloading V40 anyway.
All the coding went well and I had to set my time afterwards.

Thnx!!!
maybe its the wiring? i dont know the diy on the mfsw but is all the wiring for it there?

#25 ·
The wiring is at the connector for the slip ring. The new slip ring will just have the necessary wiring the other side to connect it up and pass the signals through.

Does the test in INPA work? Find the page for MFSW ad icons should appear on the screen, that go black whenyou press a button.

Dollar sign is correct. Did the replacemen slip ring have auto wipers and does your car?