Baby BMW Forum banner

How to: Stop A-Pillar Squeaks

22K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  Flat out 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Seriously thanks for doing that, It has peed me off for 3 years now. I ran to Hobby Craft today and grabbed 3 sheets of black sticky backed felt, and have been sticking it all over the annoyingly flimsy plastic A-Pillar. refitted the driver side tonight, and will be sorting out the passenger side tomorrow.

to be honest I'd leave the A-Pillar off after driving today with out them to test the lack of noise. It was bliss.

#8 ·
Or get those plastic cable ties kinda mid-sized. Trim and stick them between the dash bit and the grey/white A pillar bit. Job done. :)

#9 ·
I did the mod last week, used sticky Velcro (the soft bit only) and hey presto, no more squeaks or rattles! :D

Just need to sort the back seats from squeaking now, since I removed them completely the other week, they now creak a little.... :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Hi all,

First of all thanks for this DIY, i just did this on my 125i coupe, havent tested the results yet. But as im in Australia heat seems make the a pillar noise worse so ill take it for a drive later and see how the fix went.

Quick follow up question, when screwing the torx screw back into place (the one under the AIRBAG clip) how tight does the screw need to be? I cant remember how tight it was before I removed it, and I dont want to interfere with the airbag.

Sorry I know this is an old thread, but its still a very useful one.

#12 ·
I just wanted to say thanks for putting this together. I've had the PDF downloaded for quite a while and I've only just got round to doing it. I should've done it straight away; so easy and makes the car feel so much more refined!

Next job is to fit the tweeters I've had in a draw for months, shame I can't find a good how-to for the 5dr.

#13 ·
Im gonna give this a go when it get warmer..

Theres a part number for the adhesive felt says it comes as 10 pieces 30 x 70 mm
Part number 65 77 1 377 052

Defect code 51 45 91 39 00

It says affected vehicles are upto dec 2005 and that it could also be coming from where the dashboard meets the left support pipe bracket

#14 ·
gigla said:
Im gonna give this a go when it get warmer..

Theres a part number for the adhesive felt says it comes as 10 pieces 30 x 70 mm
Part number 65 77 1 377 052

Defect code 51 45 91 39 00

It says affected vehicles are upto dec 2005 and that it could also be coming from where the dashboard meets the left support pipe bracket
Mine had the squeak and is a 2009. I just bought a 3m length of felt tape off ebay for under £5 delivered and I've used for some jobs on my Boxster too.

#18 ·
Thanks for the DIY. Unfortunately I kept getting creaks with felt strips as per the guide.

What worked for me eventually was was using some Tesa Adhesive Cloth Fabric Wiring Loom Harness tape (OE stuff for wrapping wiring looms) and sticking it to the exposed white plastic bits on the pillar trim itself wrapping it around the hook too. See attached for picture. Basically any white plastic that was exposed on the pillar trim at the bottom cover in tape - the advantage of this tape is it is thin so doesn't add too much bulk. You can buy the tape for a few quid from eBay - very cheap. The stuff I used was 9mm and ideal for wrapping round the hook. With this method I didn't need ANY tape on the dash itself.

My A pillars have been silent for weeks now!

#20 ·
tom85 said:
Thanks for the DIY. Unfortunately I kept getting creaks with felt strips as per the guide.

What worked for me eventually was was using some Tesa Adhesive Cloth Fabric Wiring Loom Harness tape (OE stuff for wrapping wiring looms) and sticking it to the exposed white plastic bits on the pillar trim itself wrapping it around the hook too. See attached for picture. Basically any white plastic that was exposed on the pillar trim at the bottom cover in tape - the advantage of this tape is it is thin so doesn't add too much bulk. You can buy the tape for a few quid from eBay - very cheap. The stuff I used was 9mm and ideal for wrapping round the hook. With this method I didn't need ANY tape on the dash itself.

My A pillars have been silent for weeks now!
Just done the wiring loom tape option.
FIXED...!! I have owned that really annoying creak at the bottom of the passenger A pillar for years... Thank you so much!!!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Just fixed mine with Tesa tape. Not road-tested yet, but confident in the previous reports.

NB - Watch out for the little white plastic trim clips on the inside of the A Pillar cover. If they dislodge during removal, they can drop down the corner of the dash and rattle down to somewhere behind the glove compartment. Recovery is an ugly business, requiring a borescope and long fingers which can bend in 9 directions at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.