Baby BMW Forum banner

RETROFITTING FACTORY BLUETOOTH......

266K views 257 replies 79 participants last post by  Rns-e 
#1 ·
This gets asked all the time, and I get messaged constantly about it, so thought it best to put a post up.

To retrofit bluetooth, your car will fall into one of the following categories, the only common thing is you need nav or professional radio.

Cars built pre 09/2009 and post.

It then comes down to cars with USB fitted and those without.

Cars with USB fitted already have the module you need for bluetooth, so it is just a case of buying a mic, a bluetooth antenna and coding the stereo to turn it on.

Cars without Bluetooth need that module, it is actually cheaper to fit USB and then add the mic and bluetooth antenna and get it coded along with your USB. Plus you get USB as well.

=================================================================================

THESE ARE THE PARTS NEEDED IF YOUR CAR DOES NOT HAVE USB....

USB retrofit kit 65410445465

HANDS FREE TELEPHONE MICROPHONE 84316938762
When the parts guy pulls this up get him to look at associated parts, one of them is a 6" wire with pins on the end, buy 4 of them.

Bluetooth antenna 84506928461
BMW do a 6" smb to smb cable but can't find the part number, by this to hook the antenna to the MULF module.

You will also need to source and MULF2 from ebay or similar, they are ÂŁ600+ from the dealer and around ÂŁ150 from ebay.*

Last part needed is some wire to hook the mic to the bluetooth unit, I bought some really cheap and thin twin core coax from Maplin, was about 80p meter and I bought 6m.

The USB unit sits in the boot, the harness that comes with the USB retrofit runs down the car to under the passenger seat and two wires to behind the stereo. USB module sits under passenger carpet and the USB/Aux socket runs to under armrest.
Total install time was about an hour.
While the sills were off I ran the mic wire from the mulf module in boot to headlining, took of a pillar trim, takes 10 mins tops.
Mic snaps into the space near lights.

You then need BMW to code your car for bluetooth and USB.

Bingo!

================================================================

THESE ARE THE PARTS NEEDED IF YOUR CAR HAS USB....

HANDS FREE TELEPHONE MICROPHONE 84316938762
When the parts guy pulls this up get him to look at associated parts, one of them is a 6" wire with pins on the end, buy 4 of them.

Bluetooth antenna 84506928461
BMW do a 6" smb to smb cable but can't find the part number, by this to hook the antenna to the MULF module.

Last part needed is some wire to hook the mic to the bluetooth unit, I bought some really cheap and thin twin core coax from Maplin, was about 80p meter and I bought 6m.

The USB unit sits in the boot, run the mic wire from the mulf module in boot to headlining, took of a pillar trim, takes 10 mins tops.
Mic snaps into the space near lights.

You then need BMW to code your car for bluetooth.

Bingo!

Total cost is around ÂŁ45 parts and 30 mins coding.

================================================================

THIS IS FOR CARS POST SEPT 2009 BUILD......

Be careful hear, there are some crossovers, ie cars built slightly after with the old stereo.

Cars with no bluetooth, cd changer, dab, usb, etc. may not have the optical ports needed on the professional stereo.
You will have to slide your stereo out and look.

Number 4 in the image...

If it hasn't you then need to check if it says bluetooth on the radio anywhere, and there will be a second fakra connector next to the aerial one. This is for the USB, these latest radios have USB and Bluetooth built in, but you only get it if you order one of the other.

So if you don't have the most connector and don't have the above you will need to either follow the steps above, or buy a new radio with it built in and then code it.

If you do have a radio with it built in you will be able to add it pretty easily, however, not 100% sure yet what you need to buy etc.
Will update this section as more info comes about.

Looking into it at the moment with someone who has that radio and my parts guy.

=====================================================

Some of the info may sound vague, that is because it is, or because you don't understand it.

All the info is in this thread that I know so far. So please don't PM me asking for more info, as all I do is repeat this over and over again on a daily basis. Trust the info I have posted, I think many worry that it may not work and just want reassurance more than anything else.

*The only thing you have to be careful of is buying an MULF2 that has not been coded for bluetooth, I have only heard of this happening once or twice, it is very rare. Bluetooth needs to be activated and can only be done using the most connector, and bcaomes a pain, you would need to send it to someone on " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to help you out. Not really an issue as 99.99999% are fine, but worth mentioning.

See less See more
#252 ·
If you wanted it to be integrated into your existing system it would need the extra modules/wiring and then coding to the headunit, if it will take the modules, you could try a PM to Wibbles on here he might be able to help more.

#255 ·
I have removed my professional radio and installed a professional radio with Bluetooth and USB. Installed fakra cable from radio to new USB and aux plug in centre console. Updated VO codes. USB shows on radio menu and works fine. But no Bluetooth is being shown on menu of radio
Do I need to go into rad2 and enable Bluetooth even though the VO codes are correct or have I just missed something.
Btw this is my first attempt at coding

#258 ·
Hi - on my E88 from 16-02-2010 with Business navigation I don't have bluetooth. I was trying to find out what I need to do to get bluetooth, and I don't know if it just needs to coded or if I need to retrofit anything? It look like it has AUX, there is a AUX under the armrest, but no USB.

I've checked the boot and there is no MULF under the floor behind the battery.

When doing a vin check it says under multimedia that I have option S606 Navigation system Business.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.