RETROFITTING FACTORY BLUETOOTH......

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ProCynic
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: RETROFITTING FACTORY BLUETOOTH......

Post by ProCynic » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:35 pm

I've read this topic all the way through.

I am so confused; if someone would care to assist?

I have a PRO HU with BT, snap-in adapter but no USB.

How easy (or hard) would it be to retrofit the USB port under the arm rest?

And what do I need to do? I can't work out if I connect the cable I have to buy (?) from the MULF or the back of the HU and then will the car require coding?

I'm starting to doubt my technical ability :shock: :oops:

ProCynic
- 2010 116D - E87 - Black Sapphire - Pro HU with BT & Snap-In -
- Smoked LED side repeaters - Bee Sting Aerial - Mud Flaps -
- Stainless Steel Kick Plates - OSRAM Nightbreakers -

simo2007
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by simo2007 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm

This might help anyone that has the MULF and needs to source a Fakra cable to connect from the Bluetooth antenna to the MULF.

Found it difficult to find out exactly what cable I needed to do the above job, we managed to 'bodge' a temporary one with left over bits using a female to female smb to smb cable. Pretty sure this is also a female to female Fakra cable, but with the plastic terminals removed.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-c ... s/4098045/

This will work fine. Ignore the male to male description, it states it's a 'plug to plug' which means female to female (male to male would be a jack to jack).

Hope this is useful to someone. Saves £30 ish from the stealers, as they supply a 12ft cable to route the Bluetooth antenna to the drivers footwell, which of course is not necessary!
E82 123d M Sport in Sedona Red. Mods: Bluetooth retrofit, shark fin aerial retrofit, de-chromed window surrounds, ferric grey wheel refurb, removed swirl flaps, BMWP twin tailpipe. To do: BMWP carbon boot-lip spoiler.

MSTRKRFTSMN
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MSTRKRFTSMN » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Could someone please help me out with my retrofit.

I have USB/MULF and have bought antenna and mic but I cant seem to find:

A) connector to connect wiring cable to mic and mulf. Are these the right ones?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252393862256

If yes, how many?

B) antenna to mulf cable

Also please could someone tell me what type of cable I need to wire the mic. Is it like speaker cable?
2009 E82 125i M Sport, Black Sapphire.
Mods: CDV delete, 125i debadge, 160w Angel Eye White LEDs, Silvertec indicators
viewtopic.php?t=86644

surgeon

Post by surgeon » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi there.
HELP!

I have an E82 2011 with sat nav, iDrive and USB and bluetooth antenna and comms unit.

It never came with the car phone option.

I read that if I buy a mic and install a wire from MULF pin 1 to the mic pin 1 and Mulf pin 19 to mic pin 2 then after programkming I will have a working car phone. Is this correct?

Do I need to install anything to the back of the radio?

Are there any wiring diagrams to help?

Please help. It all seems so confusing depending on the options that people have.

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:44 am

Need some help with Bluetooth. I've read quite a few threads and can't seem to find a definite answer.

My car came fitted with
pro head unit
Mulf2 in the boot
Aux near arm rest
Snap in connector in armrest.

But when I try and connect the phone to car it can't find the phone. I think I might be missing some parts to enable it to work.

I don't want to use the snap in connector I would just like to connect using Bluetooth. But not quite sure what bits I need to do this.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get it to work with Bluetooth.

Cheers.

Kristoffer

Post by Kristoffer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Please help:

I have now innstalled the bluetooth antenna, the microphone and wired it to the MULF-unit in the trunk. My local bmw dealer programmed the car to be bluetooth ready, he activated the SA644 option.

But I still don't get a signal, either I see the phone/bluetooth meny on the iDrive screen.

Any tips on this?

cul8rm8e

Post by cul8rm8e » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm

I have just upgraded to cic pro which has usb connector at back, i used this to upgrade maps and all working fine

I just purchased mulf unit with full harness and the telephone box that fits under armrest.

I have plugged in blue and white plugs to mulf and cabled opps also plugged in antenna to mulf.

At the other end of harness i have 2 white 10 pin connectors, can anyone help as to whete these plug in the car. One was part of the harness going around nav unit and the other was much longer no idea where it would go to.

I also have fakra i think connection from the telephone cradle with a few metres cable but dont know where this plugs in either, the other cable from the cradle goes all way to mulf module so that one is ok

I installed mic where interior light is but no cable there either yo plug into mic, is there a cable i need to run from mic to head unit

Any help would be much appreciated

redwizard
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by redwizard » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:47 pm

You'll need a cable from mic to head unit. (can't answer the rest)
2009 E87 120dse in glorious Tahiti Green ;)
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

bulunge

Post by bulunge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 am

Hi, I appreciate that this has been mostly covered but I just want to get a couple of things straight.

I've just purchased a 2005 120d Sport with the Pro HU, I can only assume the HU is the earliest version (described elsewhere as having cheap rubber dials on the front) I haven't yet removed it to find model number but I'd be highly surpirsed to see it having BT buit in. There's no USB in the car either or MULF unit in the boot, so I'm most definitely starting from scratch here to retrofit BT and USB.

The one thing I wanted to check was the MULF-Hi can be retrofitted to the oldest Pro HU without major coding issues or wasting my money as it won't be compatible at all. Or whether my existing HU won't accept USB because it pre-dates it as being a factory fitted option.

On the basis that I can source all the relevant parts (listed elsewhere on this thread previously) at a reasonable price, can I do the retrofit without replacing the HU, because that's the one thing that I wanted to avoid?

The only thing I probably won't do myself is the coding, because that goes right over my head, so looking for somewhere in the North West (as near Wigan as possible) to code the thing, assuming I don't make a hash of the physical retrofit.

Any help/advice welcome guys, thanks :)
Bulunge -- 2005 120d Sport Auto --

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:37 pm

If your Pro HU does not have optical ports on the back then it will need to be replaced to have built in Bluetooth whichever way you go.

8 years ago the way to go (OEM) was to have the pro HU with optical ports and a MULF2 in the boot, but now it's much simpler to get one of the later HUs with Bluetooth (and even DAB) built in. No need for optical cables and runs to the boot, just cabling between the mic and roof antenna.

You can even remove the roof antenna (replace with a sharkfin to cover the GPS module if you have one) and use the antennae built into the rear screen (via a diversity aerial box), but that's just another level.

OK, new HUs will need coding for sensors and the like, but there's enough expertise on here to sort that out.
mods - BMWP power kit, black grills, LED darklines, Bimmian LEDs, pressed plates, light anthracite 222s
BMW OEM Retrofits - cruise, dynamic xenons, CIC pro-nav, DAB, combox, E91 sharkfin

bulunge

Post by bulunge » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you for your reply Redwizard.

I have seen the newer HUs available on eBay but (perhaps wrongly) assumed that BMW would have changed the firmware/programming since my version, so that the unit and the car wouldn't be able to 'talk' to one another - possibly that could be sorted out via coding.

Also, I know that the centre console on the LCI cars is slightly different, to accommodate for addition buttons like turning the parking sensors gong off and the start/stop too, are these HUs from newer cars a perfect fit and completely plug & play with pre-LCI models or will I need to alter some of the centre console to accommodate the unit, or fit a new connector into the wiring for the back of the unit?

As for coding, there is a seller on ebay selling a few Pro HUs with BT & USB built-in who offers to code the unit to the car's factory specs if you send them the VIN before they post it. Is that possible to do with just the VIN, not having it plugged into the car in question?

This retrofit is getting easier by the day, and I've not even started yet! :lol:

Bulunge
Bulunge -- 2005 120d Sport Auto --

redwizard

Post by redwizard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:18 am

PM wibbles on here for definative coding answers.

bjt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by bjt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 am

bulunge wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:59 am
Also, I know that the centre console on the LCI cars is slightly different, to accommodate for addition buttons like turning the parking sensors gong off and the start/stop too, are these HUs from newer cars a perfect fit and completely plug & play with pre-LCI models or will I need to alter some of the centre console to accommodate the unit, or fit a new connector into the wiring for the back of the unit?

As for coding, there is a seller on ebay selling a few Pro HUs with BT & USB built-in who offers to code the unit to the car's factory specs if you send them the VIN before they post it. Is that possible to do with just the VIN, not having it plugged into the car in question?
The newer HUs are backwards compatible with both LCI and pre-LCI cars both physically and electrically.

Yes, the seller can pull up your vehicle spec from your VIN and code the HU accordingly. This should work fine assuming that no-one's changed anything relevant since your car left the factory (e.g. retrofitted PDC). You can pull up the factory spec using https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/vin/decoder/online and check it matches the car.
E87 130i M Sport, now with added doors!
E81 130i M Sport aka the Pocket Rocket - Fell victim to the Monday morning commute

gIzzE
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by gIzzE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:51 pm

I use one of these....

http://www.tunai-creative.com/firefly.html

It comes with a car lighter with two usb slots, one for the device and one for your phone to fast charge it.

It was £20 from Amazon, sounds superb, and my phone syncs with it as soon as I get in the car and I don't need to take it out of my pocket.
It is completely hidden under the armrest too, I hate cables on show in the car.

Your phone will still sync with the car bluetooth for calls as well.

That was aimed at those saying they have bluetooth but no usb for audio.

berne
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by berne » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:06 pm

i need some advice...

i have installed NBT to my car, and a oem mic, BUT when i make phone calls, the persen i am speaking to, is hearing him self, very loud... almost so the phones mic i activ to and send the sound from my speakers to him... its abut a few sec delay....

any idees? i cant relly use it:S

i have this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Microphon ... SwVm5Y-eu2

but not the mic.. i am using bmw OEM... i just use 2 cabels, i think the bmw is using 3 one for shilde.. but can that make that big diffret?
BMW 135i M3 m3 LSD,Wagner Evo2 intercooler,Wagner 3" Catless Downpipes,N55 midpipes + Dinan axelback.,BMS Intake, Tial 50mm BOW
BMS modified clutch valve,BMS short shift kit,M3-Wishbones.M3-Control arms .M3-Control arms, NBT f30 and more:)

Return to “How To's”