Steering Wheel Cover removal

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Daeths
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Steering Wheel Cover removal

Post by Daeths » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Quick question. My 120d (56 plate) has the multi function steering wheel and on the cover the matt coating has worn away slightly a the edges on the top.

I wanted to remove it and wrap it in carbon to match the rest of the OEM trim. Two questions:

1. How do I remove the cover without busting it, where are the clip and hpw best to do it.
2. Can anyone post a link for the wrap which is as near a match to the OEM carbon look trim

Many thanks

Adam
120d M-Sport, Prof Hi-fi, sat nav, heated electric memory, boston leather, Aero spoiler, bumpers, 18" 180's in shadow chrome, keyless entry, exterior comfort lighting, adaptive Xenons, i-drive, folding mirrors, comfort entry plus...

DazBMW
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Steering Wheel Cover removal

Post by DazBMW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:49 pm

BMW 123d 2009 250 BHP 332 lb/ft .

sonicvanman
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sonicvanman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Unscrew from the back using Torx/Star Key tool the just pull off from around the horn.

Daeths
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Daeths » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 pm

Many thanks guys, appreciated.

Anyone know where the place place to get the wrap from that will be as close as poss to the carbon effect trim.

Cheers

Adam
120d M-Sport, Prof Hi-fi, sat nav, heated electric memory, boston leather, Aero spoiler, bumpers, 18" 180's in shadow chrome, keyless entry, exterior comfort lighting, adaptive Xenons, i-drive, folding mirrors, comfort entry plus...

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:04 pm

The 3M stuff is the best, as far as I know. Try eBay?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 pm

I did this recently, a couple of pics on my thread below. I used matt black vinyl which matched my interior. Looks better than it did and only cost a few quid. I used Ebay for my vinyl.
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Digital Speedo & Depo LED DRL's
My Ride

Amz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Amz » Thu May 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Lippo wrote:I did this recently, a couple of pics on my thread below. I used matt black vinyl which matched my interior. Looks better than it did and only cost a few quid. I used Ebay for my vinyl.
Love what you have done to your car. I have just wrapped the door handles and dash strip (looks good). Next up is the steering wheel trim and center console trim.
'04 E87 116i SE - Quartz Blue
'09 Suzuki Bandit 1250

Lippo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lippo » Thu May 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Nice one Amz, I did mine nearly 5 years ago and still looks the same :)

Still running strong after 150,000 miles.
120d SE Coupe, Sparkling Graphite Grey. Added BMW Bluetooth, Full Leather Interior, Cruise Control, 261M's, Digital Speedo & Depo LED DRL's
My Ride

thesheep
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by thesheep » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 pm

sonicvanman wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm
Unscrew from the back using Torx/Star Key tool the just pull off from around the horn.
I'm just attempting to do this now. I've unscrewed the 3 torx screws at the back. Cover doesn't immediately want to come away. I'm reluctant to just pull it away from around the horn/air bag because of the embedded multi-function buttons. Seems like they might have wires behind them or something? Can someone re-assume that with a multi-function MSport wheel I should just pull the cover away?
2007 E81 130i Limited Edition

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:08 pm

It will manipulate off. Remove the button packs afterward.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Gareth Barry

Post by Gareth Barry » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the uselful info! I'll try to remove it.
A number of case studies demonstrate that skills improvement increases the chance of success. Right now I'm playing for free at au.vogueplay.com. I think I'll prevail.

thesheep
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by thesheep » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Finally got round to doing this. Works really well, as people on here have said. That 3M vinyl wrap is amazing stuff, I can't believe I got it onto such a complex 3D shape without any air bubbles. And once wrapped, it really does look like OEM quality.

So here were the steps I took (largely the same as above):
  1. Use T20 torx driver to remove 3 screws from behind the steering wheel
  2. At the top left side of the wheel, just above the volume up/down bank of buttons, use a flat head screwdriver to push in at the top side to release a small clip. (This was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Before I did this, I couldn't get the cover off.)
  3. The rest of the cover will come off easily now. Carefully unscrew the buttons from the cover (again using T20).
  4. Using a cheap bottle of nail varnish remover, I poured it over the cover and the remaining matt coating comes away easily. Brush it off and rinse.
  5. The cover should be really clean now. Using it as a template, mark the shape out on the vinyl and cut it out, allowing a decent amount of overlap.
  6. Remove the backing and begin smoothing it carefully over the cover. The vinyl stretches more than I expected, making it possible to neatly cover the slopes of the cover. Some bits are still a bit tricky, but with time it seems to go well. I used a craft knife to trim the edges after I had wrapped them around, and also to cut out the area covering the M badge. Leave a few mm of overlap here, then I used a fingernail to push down between the badge and the cover.
  7. That's it. Reconnect both banks of buttons using the T20 screws, clip the cover back into place and re-tighten the other 3 torx screws.
Now, how easy is it to replace the BMW badge in the centre of the wheel? The lettering in mine is starting to fade ;)
2007 E81 130i Limited Edition

Ktmpedro220
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ktmpedro220 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't think you can replace the badge. I'm sure someone asked before. I need to do my trim but feel that I'll not do it well enough. My badge also needs replacing as it's dented.

MattR8700
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MattR8700 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm

The badge is actually attached to the airbag. Don’t make the mistake I did and try and pull it off, I thought it would just pop off like the Vauxhall badges do. All I did was bend the edges. Get a stick on replacement would be my advise.
- Black 2009 E87 118d MSport -

Ktmpedro220
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ktmpedro220 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am

Just a quickie, which vinyl did you order??

Return to “How To's”