Baby BMW Forum banner

How to: Install Parrot CK3000 & Connects2

89K views 116 replies 34 participants last post by  PJB120d 
#1 ·
Hi,

Well i bought a 2008 BMW 1 Series M-Sport and it has a business stereo and no bluetooth!!! Really annoying not having bluetooth, especially having the buttons on the steering wheel! After doing some research on here and help from member barneyrubble, i worked out what was needed. Theres no complete guide on here, so hopefully this will save some members some time having to trawl through douzens of threads! This setup will give you Bluetooth functionality with the MFSW controls, and will leave nothing on show apart from the microphone.

1) Whats needed. A Parrot CK3000 evo, im not sure if other Parrots modules do work, but i knew this one would work. ALso required is a Connects2 CTPPAR009 parrot interface device. I ordered both of these on ebay, cost about £95 in total.

2) First thing to do is to remove the airconditioning controls, im doing this on my facelift model, i think the pre-facelift is pretty similar. I used my driving license to slowly pry the panel out (but any credit card etc would work). I started at the top right hand side, and kind of dragged the card along the top panel slowly releasing it. Ive then managed to wiggle the right hand side out then it kind of just popped out.

3) This will reveal two philips head screws, at the bottom of the corners of the headunit, which hold it in place. Simply unscrew these (take care that they dont drop down into the dash). Then you'll need to pull the stereo out. Some say you should remove the dash trim that goes along the centre console and passenger side, but i didnt bother. So pull the stereo out.

4) You now need to disconnect the main ISO (???) cable from the back of the stereo. There is a little locking clasp on this, you need to turn to release it.

***This in in the unlcoked possition.

5) Now youve done this you need to get your Connects2 cable out, there are two cables in the pack you need to get the bigger one out. The cable is in a kind of Y shape.
Plug the one end into the wiring loom from the car in:

then the other end into the back of the stereo:
The final end of the cable goes into the silver Connects2 box :

6) Now if you get the Blue parrot box out, plug the cables into this. You can attach the parrot switch to end calls if you want (i didnt at first then somehow ended up changing the language on the parrot box to French which was a nightmare to change back, and i had to temporarily connect the parrot switch to change it back)

Then plug the other end of the cable to the silver connects2 box, completing the wiring.

7) I then put the microphone cable into the Parrot box and ran it through into the passenger footwell (there is a hole you can thread it through near to the hinges on the glove box).

:cool2: Then comes the tricky bit fitting everything back in. Ive not taken any pictures of this, as they wouldnt really help. You just need to play around and be patient. There is space for the cables near the glove box and behind the panel for the aircin controls which will help!

9) Connect all the trim back and bobs your uncle! Complete!

10)

Some of my neighbours cars in car park of my block of flats:

New 1 Series, still not impressed by the looks :(

Dan

See less See more
#4 ·
Good effort. Will help a lot of people I'm sure. Did this install myself a while back. Tricky part is cramming everything behind like you said.

#5 ·
Deezer-D said:
Great DIY buddy. Quick question, does your Aux still work?
Think mine does. Will check later with my ipod.

#11 ·
Nice post brindleyplace - thanks for taking the time to document it. You've inspired me to go for this. Got the CK3000 and the CTPPAR009 ordered off ebay (105 total - it's cheaper to buy the bits separately than as a kit) and has arrived today.

Will have a go at fitting it this weekend.

Just one question - where did you place the mic? You mention feeding it through into the passenger footwell but not sure where you stuck it!?

Anyone able to advise the best place for it?

Cheers

*Edit*
Just found this
However still keen to hear from anyone who has found a really good position for the mic!

#12 ·
Halfords fitted my CK3000 for £25 last weekend. They have an offer on. Took them 2hrs to do as I wanted it in the ashtray. Money well spent me thinks :)

#13 ·
Japanred120d said:
Halfords fitted my CK3000 for £25 last weekend. They have an offer on. Took them 2hrs to do as I wanted it in the ashtray. Money well spent me thinks :)
That's good value! I'm going to have a go myself as halfords is miles away and actually I secretly enjoy doing this sort of stuff. Will report when done..

Where did they place the mic? Was that the bit they put in the ashtray?

#14 ·
lakota said:
Japanred120d said:
That's good value! I'm going to have a go myself as halfords is miles away and actually I secretly enjoy doing this sort of stuff. Will report when done..

Where did they place the mic? Was that the bit they put in the ashtray?
Secretly enjoy it. You could've done mine haha. It is the main unit that is in the ashtray (the part u use to answer calls). The mic is behind the rear view mirror, wired up through the pillar by passenger door

#15 ·
Thanks Japanred120d - I'll try out placing the mic up there then. Makes sense as have seen other kits place it in the same region. Did you not consider the connects 2 cable? I believe you can do away with the remote control and use the steering wheel buttons instead.. At least that's what I'm hoping!

#16 ·
Hey

Great that my post is proving useful for someone! Ill try and take some pictures of how i routed the mic. But basically i fed the cable through the a hole near the glovebox hinge to the passenger footwell. After that i ran the cable to the pillar near the windscreen along the water(?) seal, then kind of stufed it into/along the top part of the pillar airbag. Then ran the cable along the roof line and stuck the mic to the rearview mirror.

Not sure how much sense this makes to myself, so guess it may make even less sense to you. But it is pretty eay to work out!

#17 ·
lakota said:
Thanks Japanred120d - I'll try out placing the mic up there then. Makes sense as have seen other kits place it in the same region. Did you not consider the connects 2 cable? I believe you can do away with the remote control and use the steering wheel buttons instead.. At least that's what I'm hoping!
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a multifunction steering wheel :-(

#18 ·
OK, so I installed this kit into my wife's '57 120d facelift..

- It took about an hour and a half and the fiddly bits were getting the AC controls out (the cables at the back are very short so it didn't cone forward much, and packing the connects to and bluetooth boxes away afterwards, and large amount of cabling that comes with them!
- I decided to wrap the boxes in bubble wrap (taped up with insulation tape just to make sure I didn't end up with rattles behind the console
- The microphone was routed through the passenger footwell, up the door seal and a-pillar, under the roof up to the rear view mirror. Cable was almost exactly the right length (inch or two over)
- Positioned microphone on clip mount (you get a stick mount and a clip mount) which clips onto the rubber pipe which contains the wires that run up to the auto dimming/auto wipers rear view mirror see pic
- As brindleyplace says, getting it all back in was a bit of a faff. I put the BT box behind the AC controls and pushed the connector over to the left hand side behind the radio. Tucked the wires behind the centre loacting lug at the back of the radio mount.
- Took about 1.5 hrs, but could be done in 45 min second time around

Result
- Mic positioning works really well. Tested at motorway speeds and other end said they could hear perfectly. I think it may help that it's clipped onto the rubber bit near the mirror so probably decouples vibrations/noise
- Steering wheel controls work fine! Had a bit of a faff setting up the parrott but got there now
- Looks totally OEM apart from mic, but really not noticable (see pic)
- Works with voice activated dialling built into your phone. Eg. siri on 4gs, blackberry voice dialling
- Pairs up to 3 phones but need to unpair manually to swap over to different phone. Pairs automatically with default phone
- Sounds comes through front speakers. Just loud enough on full volume but works fine generally
- Small issue - because it switches out the front speakers to be driven by the parrott module when on the phone, if your PDC beeps come through the speakers then you won't hear them when on the phone! Beware! Not a major issue but keep in mind when maneuvering. Wouldn't be a problem on my 120d as I have a seperate speaker for PDC bleeps
- £105 all in and an hour and a half's work. Definitely worth it and 95% of what you get from OEM. A torch will be your friend doing this job! Difficulty rating probably 4/10.

All in all a recommended upgrade and an absolute must if you use the phone on the move and to stay safe/legal!!

Uploaded with

#19 ·
Looks good Lakota. My mic is just behind the mirror, works fine too. I'll take a pic later if I remember

#20 ·
As promised some pics of my handsfree kit

#21 ·
Does the MFSW control the volume, voice dialing and answering/ending calls with this kit?

Looks like a great solution to a silly problem.

How many phones can you pair up to the ck3000?

Answered my own Q:

Answer and end calls from MFSW
3 phones can be paired.

#22 ·
StewartFinley said:
Does the MFSW control the volume, voice dialing and answering/ending calls with this kit?
Yes - instructions here
Generally works OK for day to day use (using speech and telephone buttons) but menu mode is a bit fiddly. Luckily you don't typically need to access the menu more than once to set the language.

#23 ·
Thanks for this lakota!!

I have ordered myself the CK3000 Evo and CTPPAR009 from Dynamic Sounds in london. Bit more expensive than eBay but the warranty is worth the extra £20.

Looking forward to connecting it all up! I just hope its as easy as it looks??

#24 ·
I'm going to try to take the microphone round he back of the glove box out the dash end trim up the A pillar/window seal and tuck it into the roof lining leaving the microphone on the drivers side of the mirror against the windscreen or hidden if possible!!

Sounds straight forward enough?? At least this guy makes it look easy.

EDIT:

It's not that easy!!

#25 ·
Any tips on how to get the climate controls out tried what you have shown but only the topright corner seems to budge! Any help would be great im sitting in the car scratching my head as we speak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.