Washer bottle removal

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Washer bottle removal

Post by marco_polo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:45 am

Man-up Ladies! :lol:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

nabz-2p
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Washer bottle removal

Post by nabz-2p » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 am

marco_polo wrote:Man-up Ladies! :lol:
I'll gladly pay you
Marco lol. I need a ramp/jack to begin with!
BMW 118d M-Sport EfDy: Exterior Light Package, Interior Ambient Lights, Adaptive Head Lights, Cruise, 013s,147s, EarthQuakes powered by Alpine MRP-M350 *216's once refurbed!*

BMWbaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Washer bottle removal

Post by BMWbaz » Tue May 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Is it easy enough to drain the bottle? I need to, the dealer put some crap fluid in that's gone like a gel, comes out like frog spawn

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ftb101 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Once it is out it is much easier to drain as you can remove the pumps. This will give you access near to the bottom of the tank, but they are not quite at the lowest point. Be careful not to lose the white plastic filters that fit over the pump inlet as you wrestle the pumps from the bottle. However, due to how narrow the bottle is, it is still a bit of a pain to clean completely. You may need an assortment of bottle brushes, a powerwasher and some rags to get it as clear as possible.
Alpine White E87 123d ///M Sport

BMWbaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Washer bottle removal

Post by BMWbaz » Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Thanks. Wish I never asked lol, can I drain it in situ ? I could just spray it all out the jets but I don't want to get it in the paint cos I don't know what's in it !!

ftb101
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ftb101 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

BMWbaz wrote:Thanks. Wish I never asked lol, can I drain it in situ ? I could just spray it all out the jets but I don't want to get it in the paint cos I don't know what's in it !!
You could disconnect the pipe going from the washer bottle to the driver side jet under the bonnet. It will be a black pipe attached to the underside of the drivers jet (the fluid goes along this pipe to the drivers jet and then from the drivers jet there is a 'T' connector to the passenger jet. You could then put it in a bowl, bucket or something, jump in the car and use the pumps to empty the washer bottle if you don't want the stuff on your paint or windscreen. Be warned though, the pumps will cut out for 15-20 mins or so with extended use - a failsafe to stop them overheating. If the filters on the pump get clogged, you can always blow really hard down the same tube with the screenwasher lid off. You will hear the remaining fluid bubble as you blow. This often in enough to dislodge the sludge.
Last edited by ftb101 on Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpine White E87 123d ///M Sport

BMWbaz
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Washer bottle removal

Post by BMWbaz » Wed May 16, 2012 8:36 pm

That's great advice thanks, never thought of that, I'll give that a go.

hugoman42

Post by hugoman42 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Might be a silly question but I know from a mechanic friend this is a problem with a lot of cars now. Couldn't you use a drain unblocker type of stuff and then dump it by disconnecting the hose before it goes to the nozzles to protect the paint?

Mattie
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mattie » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:35 pm

In the end I used denture cleaner About 10 tabs pump out never had a problem since do it once a year....
2006 BMW 120d se lowered & 17" It's red
Quality isn't cheap but lasts longer

muks11

Post by muks11 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:13 pm

Managed to unblock mine by feeding a short garden hose into the washer tank and then giving the hose a small suck and then dropping the end of the garden hose lower than the tank so it pulls the water out the tank. When the water starts coming out, blow down the washer house under the bonnet. Keep Filling the washer tank while doing this.

MarkRogiet

Post by MarkRogiet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:38 am

Hi all
I have searched the forum on this topic. I have a 2004 F20 and this is different. I can get my hand on the bottle but how do I get it out?
There is no repeater to move and no obvious bolts on the bottle.
What do I need to do to get it out?
Thanks in advance!

BarryM

Washer bottle removal

Post by BarryM » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Pleased to have found this thread, I have an E39 and thought the screen wash bottle was awkward to get to but this one is a real piece of work! I guess designers of newer cars try and use all the nooks & crannies but without the DIY link it would have been much tougher. Our fault was simply a failed rear screen pump and the screen wash was clear so no blockages or other reason for it to have failed. New one cost £10 at one of ECP’s rare sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cm-mojo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cm-mojo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:16 pm

its an hour job, the hardest bit is putting it back in - agree, remove the side indicator. Its a shame you cant buy something that will dissolve the gel like gunk that covers the filters...you can also use a foot pump on the hoses that go to the jets, will force the gunk away from the pump filters, but that only lasts for so long, eventually it comes back...terrible design, never had to do this on any other car or BMW
2010 118d Msport LeMans Blue "Bluey". Parrot Kit only so far.... - Bluey is gone but i'm still on the forums, biding my time,,,,

muks11

Post by muks11 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Syphon the old water out while refilling the tank at the same time with very hot water and blowing down the washer hose. This should dislodge and remove the gunk. Did this a few years ago and been working fine since.

ians

Post by ians » Sun May 20, 2018 4:31 pm

OK, just spent a couple of hours I will never get back making my washers work properly.

Unfortunately no amount of blowing, sucking or hoseing made any difference.

As others have stated you need to

1) Remove Front Offside wheel
2) Remove both front and rear wheel arch linings
3) Unbolt the washer bottle disconnect filler tube, electrical and water connections to pumps and low level warning sensor. Then extract bottle from its location at the rear of the wheel arch.
4) Remove both pumps and the rubber mounting seals. Make sure you find the filters which should be below the seal
5) Thoroughly clean bottle and the filters.
6) reassemble in reverse order.

It sounds easy when written like that but you will encounter lots of dirt which will turn to mud when you remove the filler tube before ensuring the tank is empty!

Getting the bottle back into where it came from is a pain but you should succeed eventually.

I have a picture of the pump and filter but cant work out how to post it. Message me and i will send you a copy.

Return to “How To's”