Baby BMW Forum banner

Washer bottle removal

17K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  riccie_120i 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone done this yet as need some tips on how to go about it.

#9 ·
Mattie said:
Thanks I'm trying to save the £150+ vat that BMW charged to unblock it 18 months ago :x :censored2:
Mattie, which washers are not working? Front, rear or both?

#11 ·
gg8tcw said:
Mattie said:
Thanks I'm trying to save the £150+ vat that BMW charged to unblock it 18 months ago :x :censored2:
Mattie, which washers are not working? Front, rear or both?
Both had them working well but when I drained out the washer bottle out I found lot's of back stuff floating.
I was using a 50/50 mix.

#14 ·
rob-the-viking said:
N52 Techie said:
I'd remove the side repeater before removing the bottle as well, can sometimes end up getting damaged when removing the bottle!
+1

Found this out the hard way when i pulled mine last year. You might need some military grade swearing too iirc.
I agree with this! MP makes it sound really simple, which I suppose it is compared with proper mechanicing. However, it is one awkward bugger to get to and spooked me out when I saw the front wing deform as I was wiggling it out of it's hiding spot :eek2:
There is a How To somewhere I think.

Edit: Found it here -> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#15 ·
ftb101 said:
rob-the-viking said:
N52 Techie said:
I'd remove the side repeater before removing the bottle as well, can sometimes end up getting damaged when removing the bottle!
+1

Found this out the hard way when i pulled mine last year. You might need some military grade swearing too iirc.
I agree with this! MP makes it sound really simple, which I suppose it is compared with proper mechanicing. However, it is one awkward bugger to get to and spooked me out when I saw the front wing deform as I was wiggling it out of it's hiding spot :eek2:
There is a How To somewhere I think.

Edit: Found it here -> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah there fine to do on a ramp at head height when you know where the guide lugs, fixings, pipe work etc but I bet theyre and absolute ba***rd to do on the floor!

#19 ·
Once it is out it is much easier to drain as you can remove the pumps. This will give you access near to the bottom of the tank, but they are not quite at the lowest point. Be careful not to lose the white plastic filters that fit over the pump inlet as you wrestle the pumps from the bottle. However, due to how narrow the bottle is, it is still a bit of a pain to clean completely. You may need an assortment of bottle brushes, a powerwasher and some rags to get it as clear as possible.

#21 ·
BMWbaz said:
Thanks. Wish I never asked lol, can I drain it in situ ? I could just spray it all out the jets but I don't want to get it in the paint cos I don't know what's in it !!
You could disconnect the pipe going from the washer bottle to the driver side jet under the bonnet. It will be a black pipe attached to the underside of the drivers jet (the fluid goes along this pipe to the drivers jet and then from the drivers jet there is a 'T' connector to the passenger jet. You could then put it in a bowl, bucket or something, jump in the car and use the pumps to empty the washer bottle if you don't want the stuff on your paint or windscreen. Be warned though, the pumps will cut out for 15-20 mins or so with extended use - a failsafe to stop them overheating. If the filters on the pump get clogged, you can always blow really hard down the same tube with the screenwasher lid off. You will hear the remaining fluid bubble as you blow. This often in enough to dislodge the sludge.

#25 ·
Managed to unblock mine by feeding a short garden hose into the washer tank and then giving the hose a small suck and then dropping the end of the garden hose lower than the tank so it pulls the water out the tank. When the water starts coming out, blow down the washer house under the bonnet. Keep Filling the washer tank while doing this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.