E87 DSC HYDRO UNIT REPLACEMENT DIY

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

chazstace

E87 DSC HYDRO UNIT REPLACEMENT DIY

Post by chazstace » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would share the DSC Hydro unit DIY that I done this morning.

As many of you know if your DSC unit fails you get some nasty errors on the dash and you may think this is very expensive!

However you can get a "rebuild" kit direct from BMW for £168 Inc VAT.

This takes about 2-3 hours.

Before you carry this out you will need to get hold of BMW's diagnostic software INPA or DIS as you need to bleed the system using activation of the DSC Pump.

You will also need a pressure bleeder, you can pick these up from halfords for about £20

1. Open the bonnet, boot and front doors.

2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal in the boot.

3. Jack up the passenger side of the vehicle and remove both front and rear passenger side wheels.

4. You will need to depress the brake pedal about half way for the removal and refit of the DSC unit, if you have something telescopic perfect if not a suitable size bit of 2x2 would work just as well forced against the drivers seat.

5. Release the pressure created from pressing the brake pedal by opening the bleed screws on the passenger side brake calipers. 9mm spanner should do it. (remember to use a brake bleeding bottle to catch fluid)

6. Remove the pollen filter, scuttle, and plastic covers from around the DSC area, very easy 8 x 8mm bolts.

7. Label the brake lines on the DSC unit so that you make sure they go back in the same place

8. Remove the brake lines from the DSC unit, be ready to catch a very small amount of brake fluid MAKE SURE NONE GETS ON YOUR PAINTWORK AS ITS CORROSIVE!!!! the kit is supplied with plasic plugs to plug the holes in the old DSC unit.

9. Remove the main wiring harness connector by pulling up on the grey locking mechanism to remove, cover with tape to protect the pins.

10. Remove the DSC unit from the vehicle, this will take a bit of fiddling

11. Separate the DSC pump from the ECU part of the DSC module by undoing 2 torx bolts on the body of the DSC pump, 1 long 1 short. (BE VERY CARFULL HERE, THERE ARE VERY SMALL PINS WHICH YOU DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE, TAKE IT APART STRAIGHT AND SMOOTH)

12. slide on the new DSC pump and do up the 2 torx bolts, you should get new ones in the kit.

13. Install back on the car in reverse order of what you have just done, taking care that everything is done up correctly.

14. Once you are happy everything is connected correctly, connect the battery. at this point you will find that your error has probably gone of the dashboard as ours did.

15. attach the pressure bleeder and bleed the brakes using the procedure outlined in BMW INPA. (bleeding procedure is under Chassis/DSC) (DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN DONE YOU WILL HAVE AIR IN THE SYSTEM)

16. Clear any fault codes using INPA

17. Once you are happy and the brake pedal is nice and firm take for a careful test drive to make sure everything is working as it should.

18. Enjoy!

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: E87 DSC HYDRO UNIT REPLACEMENT DIY

Post by marco_polo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 pm

:thumbs: Good job that man.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

rob-the-viking
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by rob-the-viking » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Nice write upmate, well done for posting it up.

space
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by space » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Fantastic! been meaning to do mine and this will really help.

Evolution
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Evolution » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:06 am

What a legend, thank you very much for this.

I have a 130i which has recently developed this fault but unfortunately the kit required by my car is £800 :?

Saying that, I will be sending the unit off to ECU Testing to repair and I assume I can use this guide to remove/replace my unit?

Cheers.

Edit - Only just realised this has been posted some time ago :lol:

sweeney23
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sweeney23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:49 am

guess ill being doing this , 1 thing why need to follow the inpa brake bleeding procedure , always start from furthest point from master cylinder and work towards it
car history in order most recent to previous
audi tt 3.2 v6 dsg
120d m sport
mazda 3 mps
audi s3
astra vxr
clio rs200
nissan 350z
audi s3
swift sport

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 am

I'm sure this thread will help Alot if others that have the same issue

Looks like an old thread but, it's still good for newer members to see as it's probably difficult to search for
2008-135i jb4 +mods
( Team Rob...............)
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

sweeney23
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by sweeney23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm

well help someone who is mechanically minded to do it them self if not then guess not lol
car history in order most recent to previous
audi tt 3.2 v6 dsg
120d m sport
mazda 3 mps
audi s3
astra vxr
clio rs200
nissan 350z
audi s3
swift sport

Dmace1

Post by Dmace1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

I don't suppose you have the part number?

Just been to bmw and they tried to sell me something for £2500 then something for £800.

Thanks

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm

http://www.ecutesting.com/catalogue/bmw ... &model=613

Try these they can fix your old unit if your one of the unlucky few with an expensive unit

Brake fluid takes quite a while to damage paint so don't panic if any goes on the body work, just don't leave it there

stone3t

Post by stone3t » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:56 am

Guys I have just done mine, new hydro unit in and connected everything, however the error lights on the dash are still there, should I bleed the system first to remove the lights? Or I need the car connected to computer in order to remove the lights? Thanks very much!

stone3t

Post by stone3t » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:54 am

stone3t wrote:Guys I have just done mine, new hydro unit in and connected everything, however the error lights on the dash are still there, should I bleed the system first to remove the lights? Or I need the car connected to computer in order to remove the lights? Thanks very much!
So I took my car to a local small garage, they used their diagnostic tool to remove the warning lights, tested the car, ensured that nothing came up again, then they bled the brakes, all sorted. The garaged charged me £40 for the warning lights removal and the brake bleeding (using the brake fluid I provided), not bad I guess.

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm

My 2007 120d has flashed up with the DSC fault. I've had it confirmed as a fault (by our local BMW AD) with the DSC/ABS hydraulic pump. They have quoted £2764 to replace the pump!

I would like to repair the pump with the BMW kit, does anyone have the part number or reference for the DSC repair kit?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Dominic

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Nottsknots » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Looks like there are a few different part numbers out there;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-H ... SwsB9WC-dk
Part number 34516797896

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-BMW-Hy ... 1028377371
Part number 34516791521

Best bet would be to get in touch with either Cotswold BMW (forum sponsor), or your local BM dealer parts desk, give them your VIN and they can ensure you get the right kit. I cant find either of those part numbers on realoem, so I cant verify their application.
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Nottsknots wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:20 pm
Looks like there are a few different part numbers out there;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-H ... SwsB9WC-dk
Part number 34516797896

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Genuine-BMW-Hy ... 1028377371
Part number 34516791521

Best bet would be to get in touch with either Cotswold BMW (forum sponsor), or your local BM dealer parts desk, give them your VIN and they can ensure you get the right kit. I cant find either of those part numbers on realoem, so I cant verify their application.
Thanks for the advice. Would you know if the OE BMW part will need reprogramming?

Return to “How To's”