E87 DSC HYDRO UNIT REPLACEMENT DIY

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Nottsknots
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: E87 DSC HYDRO UNIT REPLACEMENT DIY

Post by Nottsknots » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Not sure what you mean by reprograming, but assuming you mean "will I need INPA to reset it", then yes; even if you bleed the brakes incorrectly when changing fluid, you can get air in the unit, and then it needs to be cycled using INPA to clear out the air. Replacing the main component of the unit will also introduce air and so need cycling.

Its not like the old days, when you could bleed the brakes with a milk bottle and a ping pong ball, or fix an engine with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver. Get air in there, and there is no way to get it out without using electronic wizardry Mr Potter would be proud of.

If you cant find someone local to help you out, then Wibbles (see the forum section for BR Diagnostics & Retrofits is your man; invest in a cable and he can run the software from somewhere far, far away (oop beyond t'North). Where abouts are you?
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:56 am

Nottsknots wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:02 pm
Not sure what you mean by reprograming, but assuming you mean "will I need INPA to reset it", then yes; even if you bleed the brakes incorrectly when changing fluid, you can get air in the unit, and then it needs to be cycled using INPA to clear out the air. Replacing the main component of the unit will also introduce air and so need cycling.

Its not like the old days, when you could bleed the brakes with a milk bottle and a ping pong ball, or fix an engine with a couple of spanners and a screwdriver. Get air in there, and there is no way to get it out without using electronic wizardry Mr Potter would be proud of.

If you cant find someone local to help you out, then Wibbles (see the forum section for BR Diagnostics & Retrofits is your man; invest in a cable and he can run the software from somewhere far, far away (oop beyond t'North). Where abouts are you?
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Bromley, north Kent.

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:22 pm

All done. We used a re-con unit from ECU Testing at £260 plus vat. All the faults ave reset and everything works as it should. Thanks forum for the advice. :worship1:

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by rob180bhp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Sods law mines just gone (

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Dominic H

Post by Dominic H » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:51 am

rob180bhp wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:30 pm
Sods law mines just gone (

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
It's not the end of the world Rob. as confirmed earlier the ECUtesting exchange units are very good.

Return to “How To's”