Kidney Grille Replacement.

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by Ian w » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:03 am

thesheep wrote:
Ian w wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm
Pics for proof? Considering doing black on my black 130i.
What? You don't believe me? ;)

OK but I'm not sure if you're going to believe my photo because I was going from black to silver. I prefer the silver on the LE because it has silver trim around the windows down the side and I prefer the consistent look.

Image

Anyway, my son was very pleased as he gets the old grilles for his car, which he says makes it a real BMW :)

Image

Will probably put the black grilles on the for sale section soon, once he's bored with them ;)
Okay proof was a horrendously bad choice of words Image

You knew what I meant.... hopefully lol. As you say, the photo doesn't help as I'm after a black grilles fitted shot. Little fella looks chuffed to bits though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk



Itsteagle
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Newquay

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by Itsteagle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Ian w wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:03 am
thesheep wrote:
Ian w wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm
Pics for proof? Considering doing black on my black 130i.
What? You don't believe me? ;)

OK but I'm not sure if you're going to believe my photo because I was going from black to silver. I prefer the silver on the LE because it has silver trim around the windows down the side and I prefer the consistent look.

Image

Anyway, my son was very pleased as he gets the old grilles for his car, which he says makes it a real BMW :)

Image

Will probably put the black grilles on the for sale section soon, once he's bored with them ;)
Okay proof was a horrendously bad choice of words Image

You knew what I meant.... hopefully lol. As you say, the photo doesn't help as I'm after a black grilles fitted shot. Little fella looks chuffed to bits though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
That post is amazing! Also, is this of any help to you?

Image
2005 130i

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by Ian w » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 am

Itsteagle wrote:
Ian w wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:03 am
thesheep wrote: What? You don't believe me? ;)

OK but I'm not sure if you're going to believe my photo because I was going from black to silver. I prefer the silver on the LE because it has silver trim around the windows down the side and I prefer the consistent look.

Image

Anyway, my son was very pleased as he gets the old grilles for his car, which he says makes it a real BMW :)

Image

Will probably put the black grilles on the for sale section soon, once he's bored with them ;)
Okay proof was a horrendously bad choice of words Image

You knew what I meant.... hopefully lol. As you say, the photo doesn't help as I'm after a black grilles fitted shot. Little fella looks chuffed to bits though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
That post is amazing! Also, is this of any help to you?

Image
Perfect thank you! I'm still torn on the chrome vs black though Image

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk


Itsteagle
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Newquay

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by Itsteagle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Ian w wrote: Perfect thank you! I'm still torn on the chrome vs black though Image

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I personally really like the black, sets it apart from all the other 1ers on the road. You can get matt black grills too which look nice against a gloss black car 8)
2005 130i

User avatar
thesheep
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by thesheep » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 pm

For me, as a nit-picky designer, it also comes down to the rest of the trim on the car. My car has chrome trim around the windows, so a black grille seemed a bit odd. If I had black window trim then I would have left the black grille on. I think in general the black says "modern, performance" whilst the chrome says "luxury, traditional". But I quite like the way the Limited Edition has a bit more of a classic image. Goes with the old-school engine sound :)

I now have a pair of black grilles in pretty decent condition if anyone is interested in them.
2007 E81 130i Limited Edition

Ian w
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:44 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by Ian w » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm

thesheep wrote:For me, as a nit-picky designer, it also comes down to the rest of the trim on the car. My car has chrome trim around the windows, so a black grille seemed a bit odd. If I had black window trim then I would have left the black grille on. I think in general the black says "modern, performance" whilst the chrome says "luxury, traditional". But I quite like the way the Limited Edition has a bit more of a classic image. Goes with the old-school engine sound :)

I now have a pair of black grilles in pretty decent condition if anyone is interested in them.
Yeah I get that. Chrome can look pretty classy in the right places. The LE can pull it off with the additional accents.

Mike is black trim/chrome grille. Now, how much for those black numbers? Image

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk


User avatar
thesheep
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Kidney Grille Replacement.

Post by thesheep » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Ian w wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm
Now, how much for those black numbers? Image
The new ones were £89 from Cotswold. You can have the old ones for £40 including postage. Let's take this offline, I'll send you a PM.
2007 E81 130i Limited Edition

Post Reply

Return to “How To's”