Baby BMW Forum banner

Clearing a Rear Wash Wipe Blockage

12K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  Flat out 
#1 ·
Clearing a Rear Wash Wipe Blockage.
in a BMW 1 series (E87) 116i ES (2006) 5 Door Hatchback...your part numbers may differ, check first

On thing that keeps cropping up on this forum, over the short while I've been here is the constant problem of a blockage in the rear wash wipe system.....Whilst this can be down to a number of things but usually its quite simple and is very easy to exchange part for part.

First and foremost I would like to thank the good people on this forum for providing me the knowledge on how to perform this task, without their help and guidance this thread would not have been possible.....Thank You!

Whilst my problem was a blockage somewhere, I knew that my motor was still working (so that was a relief)
Thinking then that it can be one of the following:
1) Nozzle Blockage
2) Pipeline Blockage
3) NRV Blockage (Non Return Valve)

So not being sure which of the above it could be I purchased all of the small parts necessary...to cover all bases as it were.
But this time I purchased a double nozzle (for more squirts for my buck) :lol2:

Part number for Dbl Nozzle and Cover

The Parts supplied

The Double Nozzle

Halfrauds Finest Non Return Valve

Gunged up Single Nozzle before work began

Gently remove the cap lifting it upward to the right whilst gently pulling it back at the same time and it will slide out from under the washer arm.

Not looking too good....the nut was rusted so the nozzle would have been in from new and didn't look in the best or order.
Time for a change

Removing the old nozzle....
I found vice grips to be the best tool for this little job as you can really lock onto the nozzle head and not slip off as you may probably do with pliers.

With the grips firmly secured around the nozzle head...N.B. pull straight outward, don't twist or bend or you could risk breaking off part of the stem which in turn would turn a quite simple task into a big job.

Gently does it and out she comes.....

At this point I still wasnt sure which of the three faults were endemic to this situation so with the old nozzle out and the pipe (visible) I gave the pipe a good blow with an airline....I then went round to the steering column and flicked the rear washer on to see if there was a jet of water comming out of the pipe....To my relief...There was!.....So now I had eliminated the NRV and the Pipeline blockage scenarios in one motion.

So we were simply dealing with a nozzle fault (so glad I purchased the double one now :) )

Fitted and working (again :lol2: )

The nozzle shank just pushes down into the tube (again gently does it) and the cap fits neatly over the unit as before.
Just before I fully located the cover....I lined up the nozzle with the hole in the plastic cover to make sure I was taking advantage of all the water available to the screen....I didn't want it hitting the cover, but going directly onto the rear screen....now it was just a question of fully locating the cover cap....Job Done....Estimated time ...1/2 hour.

Whilst I did not have to remove any of the boot panels to access the NRV (thankfully)...this was a job worth doing for low monetary outlay.
I hope it serves a purpose and helps folks with a similar problem and gives them the confidence to perform such an easy task themselves instead of fuelling the coffers of the Stealers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this small walkthrough
Regards

Parts List
Nozzle and Cover £14.99
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Genuine BMW E81/E87 1 Series Rear Wiper Twin Washer Jet and Cover

NRV £1.79 (not required in this instance)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See less See more
#29 ·
Hi all,new to this great forum,I did this job today and found the blockage to be inside the nozzle shaft,to unblock it I took the whole wiper motor off then took it apart pretty simple to do (only 6T20 Torx) then you can open up the mechanism then cleaned inside the shaft with WD40 and a cotton bud luckily my motor was really clean inside so no issues there,great Wright up without it I would have been stuck,it took about 1.5 hours and the Sun was shinning so I didn't mind,many thanks Karl.

#30 ·
Just to add on this, I worked out that liquid was getting through the pipes to the tailgate so no problem there.

Prised off the right angled connector part (mine was white), don't think there was a problem with this despite some rust around it, anyway popped in some vinegar to shake some of it off for good measure.

The problem lied with the part after the right angled connector up to the jet/nozzle. Anyway you could see it was blocked at the point nearest the inside, a thin screw driver and a good bash to knock it clear meant you could see daylight when you looked through it. Quick rinse through so there's nothing extra laying in the system and jobs a gooden.

#31 ·
harveymars said:
Prised off the right angled connector part (mine was white), don't think there was a problem with this despite some rust around it, anyway popped in some vinegar to shake some of it off for good measure.

The problem lied with the part after the right angled connector up to the jet/nozzle.....
Inside the boot /tailgate interior panel ?

#32 ·
Flat out said:
harveymars said:

The problem lied with the part after the right angled connector up to the jet/nozzle.....
Inside the boot /tailgate interior panel ?
Yes mate so inside panel off
Disconnect tube (see if water pumps to that point, it did)
Prise off the right angled part with a small flat head (you will be able to blow through this with some pressure to see if its clear), I submerged in vinegar for a bit to clean it anyway
Then if you look down or up through the tube that the spray nozzle is connected to one end and the right angle the other (once youve taken both bits off) you'll be able to see daylight. Or in my case you couldn't but you could see rust build up on the bit nearest the inside. This is what I poked through with a thin screw driver initially then a unbent paper clip so that I could see daylight...
Reassemble and the liquid passed all the way through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.