1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

This section shows how to carry out modifications to your 1 Series. Please remember that if you are modifying your car to take photo's at each step and document the mod in here.
Please read the announcement at the top of the section before posting.

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

EB2429
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Post by EB2429 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:25 pm

I have had lumbar support on a few cars and personally I do think its a worthwhile addition to any car, especially if you get out aching after a longish drive. This isn't a complete cure to the soft seat backs in the M-sport seats, as the seats wire frame is still pretty soft. However it helps to add another level of support to make the seat feel more firm in the lower back area and a worthwhile mod imo. I don't know if all 1 Series have the same seat backs or configuration for removal, so just in case this is for a 2010 E87 M sport seats.

My last car didn't have it so I bought this from Corbeau http://www.corbeau-seats.com/inflatable-lumbar-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and pinched it back out of the car before i sold it. :wink:

All you need is 1 lumbar support.
Some trim removal tools and pliers.
Cable ties.

See pics below.

Corbeau Lumbar support

The seat back is held in with 2x3cm long plastic trim studs/pins at the base which are very secure. So i used trim tools and pliers.

Once you remove the Studs/pins the hard seat backs pull down and away. Again this requires a little force to pull away at the mid point, and then the seat back simply slides down to allow the upper retaining tabs to come free from the seat back. So away at the base, pull away in the middle with some force, then slide it down to clear the 2 large top tabs.

You can see the pipe work for the side bolsters which are operated via the seat switch.

On the right I unclipped a portion of the seat liner so I could neatly thread the lumbar bag into place behind the wire supportive frame. I loosely cable tied the support into place so it can move and expand..

Cable ties in place and finally clipped the liner back in place. The hard seat back fitting is reverse of what you did at the start. I didn't break the 3cm studs but they aren't exspensive from BMW i'm sure/hope...

Finished and lumbar support neatly in the gap by the driver. JD
Whenever anyone clicks on a 'Like" icon (on Facebook or elsewhere), a popup should appear that reads: "Popularity is not the same as quality. Proceed anyway?”

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 1 Series Lumbar Support Retro Fit

Post by AndytheGreek » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Good job !
2017 M2

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Wonder if it would be possible to connect this to the pump for the side bolsters with a release valve to control the pressure.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

BigC
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BigC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 am

As a back-ache sufferer due to an acute ankle injury and a change in gait this is a very inventive and helpful thread, I will look into this further.
Thank you for taking the time to embellish your retro fit with editorial comments and images of the job in hand.
Well Done!
Regards
C
Image "Would you just take a look at that Elwood"

EB2429
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by EB2429 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:09 am

Blackbmw120d wrote:Wonder if it would be possible to connect this to the pump for the side bolsters with a release valve to control the pressure.
thanks all...

@BlackBMW120d sound possible, great idea!
Whenever anyone clicks on a 'Like" icon (on Facebook or elsewhere), a popup should appear that reads: "Popularity is not the same as quality. Proceed anyway?”

david in germany
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by david in germany » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 am

Did the lumbar mod on my 09 Cooper S with sport seats many years ago, wonderful improvement. This is something I will be doing! Many thanks on the write up, I was wondering if it was possable.

:headbanger:
2009 E87 118i, Bilsetin B8 with BMW Performance Springs filled with audio gear. <-mine
2011 E90 328i M Sport, 335I brake upgrade. <- wifes
2009 E90 335I Msport , Cobb tune, Other stuff. <- Mine

EB2429
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by EB2429 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 pm

**Revised**

I have had this fitted for a few weeks now and moved the inflatable pad about to achieve the optimum fit. I would say that in general the pics above would show it in a usable position, but for me I moved it down 3-5cm. To do this without producing a kink in the black flexible pipe, I simply flipped it so the pipe feeds the air bag from the top and then pushed it down further. I also attached some strengthening to the wire frame via cable ties to help transfer the air support further into the seat cushion.

Its a good idea to not refit the seat back fully, it will hold in place without the replaced or usable fixing studs in the base, this will allow you to tailor the lumbar support over a few weeks.

Anyway hope this helps some in the future

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks you for a great how to. Just got my 118d M Sport and after a long journey had a bad back!!! So lumbar support is a must. Just dissapointed that it's £51 including shipping - seems a bit steep for a plastic bag! :?

nickfrog

Post by nickfrog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Brilliant. Thanks a lot. I might fit one.

I wonder of it can also be used as a urinary bag on long distance drives ?
Megane RS Cup-S - due early June 2016
LCI M135i 3-dr, manual - bought June 15 - Sold May 16
Toyota GT86 - bought Nov 14 - Sold May 15
E82 125i M Sport on 130i power and brakes, MSS tyres - sold NOV 14

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Ok - took a while but finally got the two clip things off. I've decided to try the cheapskate option using some foam I found in the cupboard. Not adjustable but adds some support; cost to me £0 :D
I haven't fully reattached seat back as suggested in case I decide to splash out on the adjustable option if I can get a good deal somewhere.
Thanks again for the great How-to! :D

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Had to order two repacement clips - just for fun here is a before and after shot! I did try and be careful during the removal stage. :oops:

EB2429
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by EB2429 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

lol

Yeah i pretty much butchered mine getting them out too, if only BMW had used such engineering on other parts to secure things properly.

I still haven't replaced mine after a month or so but the seat backing hasn't moved, I just went to Europe and made some final adjustments after a 6 hour drive to Germany. The seat backing never moved at all so god only knows why they thought they needed to secure them so tightly.

Anyway glad the thread helped a little.

NARD
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by NARD » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:15 pm

My inflatable support arrived today and I fitted it in front of the foam I had been using. Works an absolute treat and so discreet.
Thanks again for the write up and guidance. :spotman:

ajayp
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ajayp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 pm

This thread is a god send, thank you for posting it.

Ordered mine today and can't wait to fit it and get outta pain.
2014 M135i | Alpine White | Red Coral Leather | Auto | Heated Seats | Media Advanced | Loudspeaker Advanced | Comfort Pack | Sun Protection Pack | High Gloss Black Panel Display |

Stealth328Ci
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stealth328Ci » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi

This might be a silly question but what if your seats have heating, can this still work??
Titan Silver E82 125i M Sport Coupe

Return to “How To's”